why are owners so crooked

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
OH MY! Thank you Tennesseahawk! That is it exactly what I have been soooooo hard trying to say! WE WERE SOOOOO IGNORANT! See, guess hubby is right! Soooo hard for me to get across what I'm trying to say and you summed it up in one senctence! heeheehee "it still doesn't make the ignorance any less ignorant." :D

Glad I could help. ;)

:D

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
When i posted this. What i was upset about is the fact you go out there and bust your butt on the road for weeks at a time. And when its time to come home or get paid some owner feels like your giving them the shaft. Because you want your money or home time whatever the case might be. But here is the facts contract or not the carrier sends the owner the check and he pays you. So contract or not he can hold it keep hug it and call it george and there is nothing you can really do besides take them to court or the labor borad like some have said already. Now in my case my owner got mad after i had been out almost 4 weeks. And i wanted to go home and see my little girl sing with her sunday school class. I mean this is a job like anything else and when its time to get paid or go home why do some owner act like your robbing them. I mean its your money or home time you earned it thats the way i see it..... And if i thought they would past this i'd give his name and phone number to warn anyone from working for him

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well, there are plenty of plantation owners in expediting. They like to sip their mint julep on the front porch, expecting the drivers to run relentlessly with no time to relax themselves. I think it's only gonna get worse as the drivers aren't out there to keep those particular owners in cardigan sweaters and 3pm tee off times anymore... now they're out there to keep those particular owners from living in the poor house, because those particular owners lived the high life when they should've been saving.

It's as important to find out what kind of owner you're dealing with. If he/she is living beyond their means, it'll come back on you eventually... just as if you've lived beyond yours.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
When we first started in the expediting business, we never heard of EO. We knew nothing about expediting, nothing about any of the companies out there, and didn't know any drivers or owners. We were as green as they come. BUT, we took it upon ourselves to learn everything we could about expediting, the companies, etc BEFORE we made a decision. It took time and alot of work but was worth it. When speaking to the recruiters, I asked them to please give me some names of some of their drivers/owners that I could speak with & ask questions. We made it a point to educate ourselves as best as we could before making a decision. There is no reason that any newbie out there can't do the same. Even if you've never heard about EO, don't know any drivers/owners, etc...there is NO reason that you can't self educate yourself. There is no reason that you can't ask the recruiters at these companies to give you some names & phone #'s of some of their owners & drivers for you to contact. Once you speak with these people, you might even want to ask them for even more names & phones #'s of some owners/drivers that they know. This will help you to establish your opinion on a company or owner and help you to make a decision that is a best fit for you.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well, there are plenty of plantation owners in expediting. They like to sip their mint julep on the front porch, expecting the drivers to run relentlessly

Hey, I might represent that:eek:
Just kidding. Never heard of the plantation owner theory:D

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I got only one thing to say, When they stand at the pearly gates and all the wrong doings in there life flashes before them and then are told Sorry your going down Town they have only one to blame. Them Selves.

Wicked that way comes in the End.

Down Town.

Id rather do right and Go UP Town My self.

Oh well too each is their own.

sorry for mixing Religion and Trucking an govt but hey
It does still say in God We Trust on our money.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, there are plenty of plantation owners in expediting. They like to sip their mint julep on the front porch, expecting the drivers to run relentlessly with no time to relax themselves.
Be careful, I once posted essentially the same sentiment, and was promptly berated for for a complete lack of insight.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Be careful, I once posted essentially the same sentiment, and was promptly berated for for a complete lack of insight.

I'm not talking about fleet owners in general. I'm talking about the ones who aren't businessmen. They generally sit back and let the trucks fill their coffers, while not investing for either the trucks or the slow times. When times become bad, like now, they start cracking the whip so they don't lose their trucks or their lifestyle. But when it comes down to it, they'll let the trucks default, one by one, while they scramble to make the payment on their double-mortgaged house and their Hummer.

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm not talking about fleet owners in general. I'm talking about the ones who aren't businessmen. They generally sit back and let the trucks fill their coffers, while not investing for either the trucks or the slow times. When times become bad, like now, they start cracking the whip so they don't lose their trucks or their lifestyle. But when it comes down to it, they'll let the trucks default, one by one, while they scramble to make the payment on their double-mortgaged house and their Hummer.

Sounds like some one out NJ I AAA never mind

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ya know, I think some of you are trying 'not to get the point'! Duh, last time I am going to try to explain this! You people are professional truck drivers! YOU know about trucks, trucking companies, owners and sub-contractors!

OK here we go again..... I get the point, but my post has nothing to do with trucking. It has nothing to do with expediting.... it has to do with business.

It doesn't matter what business you are in, trucking or selling dead worms on the side of the freeway, you need to protect yourself, your assets and your business.

It is all about limiting risks and how to get out of situations that are out of your control.

I recommend two tools, a lawyer and an accountant who will advise you on this or any other business venture. The important thing is find them now, not when you have an accident or when you can't make that payment or better yet when you are ready to sign that contract with some stranger.

Believe me having someone on your side right from the start helps out a lot more than you can imagine.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Oddly enough, I have recieved several calls over the last several months wanting to know if I would buy some or all of their trucks. Umm....one actually was from NJ.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the problems I see is terminology and not knows the right questions to ask. The longer we do this the less we are able to communicate with a new person on what we do and how we do it. Everything has become old hat and we just do things without thinking about it.

The great thing about EO is you can read posts from way back and you can ask questions on what you do not understand. The people who do not know about EO and get into this business blindly are the one who have a very hard road in front of them to succeed.

You can talk to an accountant and a lawyer but if you do not find one that is familiar with trucking they also have no clue and do not understand the terminology. Then you have the blind advising the blind.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I decided to do a little digging...I think I found my hubby's first post on EO. Reading it now, makes me laugh. I remember not knowing a thing about expediting, and this post sure shows it! :D

Curious with lots of questions part 2

First let me say that it's nice to find a site that seems to focus on answering questions instead of putting people down. I'm a member of another trucking board (concentrating mainly on OTR freight hauling) that I really like but it took forever to find it and now it seems I've found another one that is as good (I won't mention the name of the other board unless asked to respect the owners/moderators of this board). Okay now to why I'm here.

I've been driving OTR for about 15 months now in a KW T-2000 with a 72" condo sleeper pulling a 53' dry van. I like driving and I'm earning a fairly good living but I've been looking at the expediting world and wonder if it's the way to go. I'm a solo driver but my wife rides with me and is interested in going to school and getting her Class A CDL, now for the hard part, the questions.

What are the typical freight lanes? I'd be interested in driving a straight truck with at least a 72" sleeper.

What is the normal time out? I typically stay out 3 weeks at a shot, sure I'd love a job that I could be home on weekends but that's not always a reality.

What are the avg miles per week that I'd be looking at? Right now my avg for the past year is in the 2700 to 2800 miles per week.

What are the best areas to live in to get into the expediting world? We currently live in Raleigh, NC and I don't plan on moving anytime soon and if I do move it would be farther south.
Due to technical difficulties beyond the control of the original poster (me) or the moderators I am re posting the original post. Seriously, the post was accidentally removed and I was notified by the moderator so I could re post it, that reinforces my opinion that this is a good site, some would have let me just think it had gone away without letting me know why, thanks.
In expedited freight are the trip times reasonable? What I mean is do they give you enough time to make the runs legally or do you have to perform miracles to get the loads delivered on time. I try to run legal because I value my CDL, I know this limits the miles that I could get but in the long run it's cheaper then the fines or loss of my CDL.

How do I find a O/O that would hire me and possibly allow me to train my wife after she goes through school so we could go from a solo to a team operation. I'd rather drive for someone initially then get my own truck. We are very interested in having our own truck but I'd rather be sure of what I'm doing before making such a large investment.

OK, I'll stop there for now and ask more later.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I will admit, my wife or I will go into downtown NYC and some of the surrounding areas. That is just a accident waiting to happen and they don't pay enough to take the chance.

Correction.. we will NOT go to NYC or surrounding buroughs. Anywhere else in the continental US, but NOT there. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You can talk to an accountant and a lawyer but if you do not find one that is familiar with trucking they also have no clue and do not understand the terminology. Then you have the blind advising the blind.

Sorry Linda but that's **.

It matters that someone finds a professional adviser who is willing to advise them on the business end as it pertains to then in their situation. To show them how to setup the business to produce more money and determine when to get out of it or how to protect themselves. It is a precursor to getting specialized people involve with the business end of it once things get rolling.

It don't matter if it is trucking or widget making, the basics need to be covered based on personal information and needs, not trucking. In other words, it is the idea to limit your risks as a business owner.

Most of the people entering the business do not know the correct terminology in the first place and more often than not, the 'professionals' in this business don't know the terminology either.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
One of the problems I see is terminology and not knows the right questions to ask. The longer we do this the less we are able to communicate with a new person on what we do and how we do it. Everything has become old hat and we just do things without thinking about it.

The great thing about EO is you can read posts from way back and you can ask questions on what you do not understand. The people who do not know about EO and get into this business blindly are the one who have a very hard road in front of them to succeed.

:eek:OMG! Finally, someone that understands what I have been trying to say all along! Linda, not only are you brillant but I tink I love ya! :D

For other: FYI we have had a contract with all three fleet owners we have driven for. :rolleyes: BOTTOM LINE. . . . A contract does not make a truck owner honest. A thief is a thief and all the legal jargon in the world is not going to change it. Anyone that thinks it's the drivers fault that a truck owner is a thief is buggggsy bunny! :D

guido4475

Not a Member
I have actually considered in the past driving for expeditor services as a solo, when they used to hire solos.But now they only hire teams, so that put an end to that.I have heard nothing but good comments about them,and the fact that they keep their trucks updated is a plus. My freind used to drive for them as a solo, and was extremely happy.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A contract does not make a truck owner honest.

Very true but did you make the owner honest?

I think you missed the point I'm trying to make.

The contract is one part of the equation, the other part is the advice you get from your adviser who is there to help you before you sign the contract and having them help you when there are issues with the contract. They are there to make sure you don't get lost in the BS legalese of the contract or have someone pull a fast one on you with some twist of jargon within the contract. They don't have to know trucking terms, but legal terms and be able to answer your concerns.

Contracts should never be written by truckers who use only trucking terms, they should be written by competent people who know what they are doing.

The bottom line is and always has been using the tools that are out there to protect your interest.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
When ever I see this head line "Why are owners so crooked?." I wonder what the owners who lent their Cargo Van to the babe selling what ever she had at the moment, out of their truck, only to abandon their truck and find another owner & do it again. They may have a different view on "crooked" owners.