why are owners so crooked

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Now I know I'm bored...I actually read the whole 8 pages and am now hoping the industry picks up and you ALL get trips!

Best piece of advice as usual comes from Greg...everyone NEEDS a good lawyer and a good accountant! Thanks Greg!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Stopped in a place in Anderson, IN a couple days ago. Woman at desk said Expedite Solutions is located in this complex. It's called the "Flagship". It is a business complex for start-up businesses. Their st trucks were parked in a parking lot crowded with cars. Don't know where the students can practice.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Yesteryear:
How can you let someone get in your pocket "for some where around $9000.00" and not take them to court.
I would GUESS, that $9000.00 is well past any Small Claims Coutrt.

Yes, nine grand is more than small claims. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to getting experience.
Think about it. Hiring a lawyer, out of service to attend court. Their attorney gets postponement, no telling how many times you would have to go to court before it actually goes before the judge. So by the time you pay traveling expenses, drop out of service how many times, and pay for an attorney what have you actually gained? Get my drift. Is it really worth it?

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
nawwww but thar are outher ways to skin one can make them pay a hole lot more but i'm willing to bet thars more to the story cause i yell about 5 dollars and would change owners long b-4 it got to 1 k

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
nawwww but thar are outher ways to skin one can make them pay a hole lot more but i'm willing to bet thars more to the story cause i yell about 5 dollars and would change owners long b-4 it got to 1 k

No Desperado, your obviously not understanding. The reason they owe us so much is because they required a 'savings account' with them of $6000. 00 Then the driver pays fuel and is suppose to receive 100% fuel surcharge, they pay the driver their fuel surcharge once a month but in the beginning hold back another 2 weeks. So they always have 6 weeks of the drivers fuel surcharge on hold. Then they also have 2 weeks of the drivers load pay on hold. So when the driver quits they are owed $6000 from the savings account (money which we did have in the account) plus they owed us 6 weeks back fuel surcharge and the last two weeks of load pay? That is how they end owing the driver so much.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
did you fulfill your end of contract
i know of those that started off with them and now own their own truck and doing good
all business persons are rip offs

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
did you fulfill your end of contract
i know of those that started off with them and now own their own truck and doing good
all business persons are rip offs

I didn't get my CDL with them. Neither did my friends who are Class A holders. But neither of us got our money back. Don't know anyone that did get their money back. Not the ones that got CDLs and were obligated and not the one's that didn't get CDLs with them. Bottom line, live and learn! :)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have no idea if you have in fact talked to an Attorney. It is my belief that in most cases the Attorney goes to court, decides if it's going in front of a Judge or Jury. When which ever it is, is decided then the Plaintiff would be required to show up. The Attorney probably works for a 1/3. $6000.00 is a lot of "Experience"

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I have no idea if you have in fact talked to an Attorney. It is my belief that in most cases the Attorney goes to court, decides if it's going in front of a Judge or Jury. When which ever it is, is decided then the Plaintiff would be required to show up. The Attorney probably works for a 1/3. $6000.00 is a lot of "Experience"

Yeah, but how about the time out of service and traveling expenses. Don't know, maybe we did not make the right decision and should not have let him get away with it. We just talked about it at the time and that was the decision we came to. Plus ya gotta remember we drive for a truck owner there is also the question of is another truck owner going to want us out of service to sue a previous truck owner, see what I mean. Tis a little more complicated then oh, he took from me so I'm gonna sue him. Tis easy to second guess but when in the situation, trying to weigh the pros and cons, it is not so easy to do. Don't know what the statue is on it, might be worth reconsidering. Never said we made the right decision. Hind-sight is 100%. :rolleyes:

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Yesteryear,

I'm a lil late to this party, but I understand what you're saying 100%. You'll have to forgive Dave, sometimes he's got too much common sense for our own good. :D

Anyway, I read your posts on another site. You had a different handle on that site but I remembered your story. Maybe from a year or 2 back. You used to work for Expediter ??? (sounded close to Expedited Services) & it was a lil confusing for some of the members for a bit. I wrote to ES & even mentioned ya (from the other site) as one of the reasons I was inquiring about them.

I'm sorry ya had to go thru all that. I'm happy though that you two are w/ a company ya truly enjoy. People like Dave def. have a lot of wisdom, as I'm sure you're aware of. It's just that a lot of people don't run into someone like Dave until AFTER they've been smoked.

(Decided to hang around here in Laredo a little while longer, T-State say their bidding on some loads)

Ok, how can I put this to make you honest owners understand what I am saying. (My hubby is always telling me I am not good at explaining things but I am going to try.) I think it is probably the same with most of us older drivers so let me tell it like this.

Ok, I put over 20 years in at a beauty salon, my husband put over 20 years in at a police department. Now, we are getting older, the kid is old enough to be left alone, heehee, so we start talking of doing something different. Now, him being a cop and me being a beautician we know absolutely nothing about the trucking industry. But hey, ya know, sounds like it might be a fun interesting thing to do, after-all we both put in our time in our industry, now it is time for some fun see some new exciting places. With me so far?

Ok, now we don't know expediting is different from 'trucking' so we go online and type in 'trucking companies' and 'how to be a truck driver'. All these different trucking companies come up with schools for cdls ect. So for a while we are just 'thinking' about becoming truck drivers and are reading about cdl training, different trucking companies like Werner, JB Hunt, Schneider, ect.

Well then we run across this one web site that offers to 'hook' drivers up with both a CDL school and a company to drive for. So my hubby fills in the info and hits 'submit'. Right away we start getting phone calls from different recruiters. Werner was the first caller we received, asked them to send us all of their info and went online to see what we could find out about them.

Then we get a call from one that they are a recruiter with PantherII and that we would only need a class b cdl, well I already had a class b cdl for many years as I drove a school bus part time when my son was little in grade school. Would drive in the morning, go to the salon, then drive again in the afternoon and then go back to the salon. So I could drive for this PantherII company and not even have to spend any money to do it. GREAT! Typed in PantherII to try to check the company out.

See, what I mean? This is who we thought we were driving for. So we check them out. Everything looked great so we decide, YEA, LET'S GO FOR IT! :D So then this girl contacts us with all the information of were we were to go in Indiana and how we would be going through their orientation and asked if we had cdls. We told them I did but hubby didn't. So she say's no problem they would help him obtain the proper cdl. Gives us direction on how to get there and a start date. So now, for now we think we are going to the orientation for PantherII, still not understanding we are actually going to orientation of a fleet owner.

See, no one explained until after we had left our jobs behind and spent all the money to go to orientation, relocated so we would be in the 'freight line' as we were instructed to do, ect that we would not actually be working for PantherII, we would be working for this other company that has a fleet of trucks. Hmmmm, so now, here we are, we have left our jobs, relocated, are miles from home all on the wrong information.

So, we at least make an effort to check them out. They have an awesome website, show only top notch equipment, and have wonderful testimony from drivers posted, so we think 'well ok, guess it will be ok'. Course if it isn't it's really too late now anyway. lol We've already spent thousands of dollars on this little adventure.

So we go ahead and go through their orientation, at which no contract was ever presented until the very last day of orientation. See, we thought we had 'checked' it out. We thought we had done our homework. But since we did not know the industry or how things work with it we did not check out the correct thing.

As for sitting around in a truck stop, a normal person that has no experience with trucking and does not know the industry doesn't even know you can sit around in a truck stop. My gosh, I had never even heard of showering at a truck stop or driver areas ect. So no, I definitely had never heard of EO. By the time you learn about truck stops and EO you've already been burned.

Our first clue something was wrong was when we were given a really really bad truck, no air conditioning, leaked horribly in the rain, was a little cat engine couldn't make 20 mph on the hills in the Virginias, diffinately not as described on the second companies web site. Then when we started getting negative pay checks after running 3000 miles in a week, one week we ran from coast to coast and ran up over 5000 miles that week, our take, under 1000.00. This is when we started to figure out something was wrong. lol So ya see, it is easy for new drivers to get 'taken'. It is amusing when we look back now at how gullible we were, but it definately was not amusing at the time. Am I getting across what I'm trying to say here? :cool:

It isn't hard for a dishonest truck owner to take advantage of new drivers who know nothing about the industry.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yes, nine grand is more than small claims. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to getting experience.
Think about it. Hiring a lawyer, out of service to attend court. Their attorney gets postponement, no telling how many times you would have to go to court before it actually goes before the judge. So by the time you pay traveling expenses, drop out of service how many times, and pay for an attorney what have you actually gained? Get my drift. Is it really worth it?

That is exactly why Expediter Solutions will continue to rip off drivers. You guys are too lazy to take them to court and will just walk away without protest. This is exactly what they are counting on you to do. It is not really the money that matters (allthough it is nice to get paid) it is the principle of the matter. I would spend money out of my own pocket to sue a company or owner who does not pay me just so I can have a judgement slapped on their personal or business credit report. Judgements remain on someones credit for up to ten years and they look very bad when that person goes to apply for a job or tries to obtain credit in the future.

Also, if you are worrying about the costs that are associated with hiring a lawyer to take this company to court, you can try and start a class action lawsuit. Why don't you take the time to do some legwork and track down others who have been ripped off in the same way that you have been? Then you can have a very sizeable lawsuit on your hands and you will then have no trouble finding a lawyer who will work the case on a commission basis. A lawyer who will only charge a percentage if the case is won in a court of law? However, if you fail to act on this, others will be ripped off in the future, and the cycle of deception and thievery will continue on for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
That is exactly why Expediter Services will continue to rip off drivers. You guys are too lazy to take them to court and will just walk away without protest. This is exactly what they are counting on you to do. It is not really the money that matters (allthough it is nice to get paid) it is the principle of the matter. I would spend money out of my own pocket to sue a company or owner who does not pay me just so I can have a judgement slapped on their personal or business credit report. Judgements remain on someones credit for up to ten years and they look very bad when that person goes to apply for a job or tries to obtain credit in the future.

Also, if you are worrying about the costs that are associated with hiring a lawyer to take this company to court, you can try and start a class action lawsuit. Why don't you take the time to do some legwork and track down others who have been ripped off in the same way that you have been? Then you can have a very sizeable lawsuit on your hands and you will then have no trouble finding a lawyer who will work the case on a commission basis. A lawyer who will only charge a percentage if the case is won in a court of law? However, if you fail to act on this, others will be ripped off in the future, and the cycle of deception and thievery will continue on for years to come.

NO NO NO NO! Expediter Services is a good company! You can't get a better group of people. The BAD company is Expedite Solutions. Please don't confuse the two.

I think this entire thread needs to go bye-bye! Tis a mute point now! :eek:

guido4475

Not a Member
I was going to say, expeditor services is a good co, I have several freinds that drive for them.If they would hire solo's, I would drive for them in a heartbeat.To tell you the truth, I really think the single truck o/o is on its way to be a thing of the past.It seems everyone wants teams, but I cant understand how some teams make it, with freight being as scarce as it is.The old rule used to be, that you cant feed two families out of one truck.maybe a husband /wife team, but not two separate families.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can't say I agree with E-1's two week policy. If someone is screwing you over, you should be able to leave immediately for another owner's truck.

EXACTLY!!!

TY........ there is a owner right now out there..... that still owes me and a x team partner of mine.. around 1300.00 a piece. ..