What Does Your Carrier OWE You?

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
Been through enough drivers to know that there are times when the drivers are rude to dispatch and we don't tolerate that. However, have been through many issues where dispatch is rude or safety to good drivers and nothing. I just believe there is a way to talking to people. Sometimes you have to be firm, but most of the time, reasonable dialogue works.

antwolf

Not a Member
For me communication go's both ways. They want us to communicate to dispatch. I have no problem with that. As a matter of fact I respect that, but when I phone in or email them for that matter, and be placed on hold and days go by and my email has not been responded to, really gets my goat. I know, I know, they can get busy and forget about you. My problem is that my expectations of them comes up short most of the time.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm in partners with the company I'm leased to.Their customers call them to find the right truck for the job,they then dispatch the load they now have on the board.What do I expect from them,the same honesty they expect from me.I have had dispatch thank me for taking loads many many times,and after reading this thread,I feel bad I've never thanked them for the load I received.Come to think of it,FDCC has done many things out of their way for me over the years I've been there,and I have thanked them for that.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Don't forget to thank the shipper and consingee for thier business as well. Layoutshooter

Excellent advice. One might be surprised how much difference that makes. We do it with our carrier's loads as well as the brokers we use on a regular basis.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I was in a bit different situation, but, we ALWAYS thanked the shipper.

Jes make sure you thank someone who calls for trucks, steada some schmoe on the dock.

guido4475

Not a Member
i absolutely love my company! we are a small company.and it is slow.and they apologize to us for the freight being slow.there have been weeks they have actually deposited money in my account, without me asking for it, or saying anything about it. they know my financial situation. we are a very close family here, and i do everything i can to help them out, business and/or personal. i will be loyal to them till the end.this is how it should be.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have often expressed appreciation to the dispatcher, and everyone else at my carrier - they ARE pretty small, so that's not too hard to do. I've been remiss in not thanking the shipper for their business, which is just as easy, but I overlooked it. Thanks for the nudge.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I try to never EXPECT anything from anyone, in order to avoid disappointment. I do wish I would be informed of policy changes that are important to my ability to earn money.

I have thanked people for finding me loads before. Sometimes I don't. It is difficult to avoid becoming jaded while being involved in the transportation industry.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What do they owe.

Truth and Fareness no Lies or BS.

From the first day I steped into this business I have

1. Kept a Clean Trailer for the Customer Shipper and Consignee.

2. I do what they want me to do Load or unload. What ever they want if they want the freight secured a certain way I do it to make them Happy. Dont argue just do it. Some out here would jump and say did U get paid if not dont do it. Well look Service with a smile. Do what they ask and then let the Company know they should take care of it. They have for me.
So no Complaints there. Sew the seed and sew it right water it and U will reap the rewards. (Get my drift) somtimes the Company heres about it somtimes they dont. But a higher Authority knows.

3 I have always thanked the Shipper and the Consignee on both ends for there business. No matter what.

4. I do tell the Dispatchers Thank you.

What I want a fare shake no Donkeys with Sunglasses .

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
A carrier owes you the contracted rate for any load you haul for them. I would also add that they shouldn't play favorites with drivers, but maybe that would be expecting too much. When I was leased on, I got what I expected out of them. They paid me what they said they would if I hauled the load. Anything else is icing on the cake.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A carrier owes you the contracted rate for any load you haul for them. I would also add that they shouldn't play favorites with drivers, but maybe that would be expecting too much.

Realy Interesting.

Just remember U cant fight City Hall So I was once told but then again. OH Never Mind ROTFLMAO:p

Change is good.
Somtimes going against the grain pays.

Last edited:

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately only what your contract says that they owe you and the ball is in there court.The top 5 larger companies really couldnt care less about if they hurt your feelings or run you enough to even pay your bills.It would be really nice to work for a carrier,that if you put in 100% they in turn would do the same for you.I guess thats why I need to start my own company.;)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The name of my new company is "Under-Cutters!" Anyone want to lease on with me? I can't guarantee you will get miles, nor can I guarantee how many miles you will get when you do get them, but I can however guarantee that you will run every mile at a reduced rate.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately only what your contract says that they owe you and the ball is in there court.The top 5 larger companies really couldnt care less about if they hurt your feelings or run you enough to even pay your bills.It would be really nice to work for a carrier,that if you put in 100% they in turn would do the same for you.I guess thats why I need to start my own company.;)

I see this as a two way street. When our carrier takes a cheap load for reasons unknown to us we still refuse the load. We do not lose any sleep over wondering how they got that load covered. I do not care when I am the tenth truck to turn down a load and the dispatcher is getting desperate to cover the load.

I also do not expect them to care about my bills. Some of us have little or no bills and others have so many bills I do not know how they can breathe. To me the carrier has one concern book loads and give us the opportunity to run those loads.

If the carrier takes a cheap load they have to find a truck willing to carry it, if we get ourselves into deep with bills or payments it is up to us to figure out how to pay our bills.

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
Well thanks. This is one of the most helpful conversations I’ve seen for someone like me looking into this business.
Much is said about the freedom that comes with Expediting. This helps me confirm what I thought was true of it. Like life, freedom means personal responsibility. No entitlements.
Also like life, to be happy being free means the existence of a fair and level playing field and rules (contracts) that can be trusted not to change without being mutually beneficial (fair).
I’m beginning to wonder if the “freedom” of owning a business and Expediting is all that much different from being a company driver right now.
The company that I drove for did not let me refuse a load (except NYC) unless I could not get it there safely and legally. They were compelled to get me loads. It is there business. The compensation didn’t vary much but I didn’t have a choice. In your business, are you not compelled to take loads to succeed? Doesn’t your carrier have the same motivation?
My company provided me a truck but I had the responsibility to make sure it was in shape. It was not directly an expense to me to service or repair it but it did cost me to sit while it was in the shop. My company does have to pay for and insure it and the freight though.
Taking time off is time not getting paid. That is the where a ‘job’ as a company driver doesn’t seem so much like a job. Still, as an OO this will test your integrity and seriously restricts your freedom.
It seems that the current climate of too many trucks, not enough freight and the trend of some carriers that you all lease to, attaching too many strings, is really testing your faith. I’m not convinced that your business isn’t as free and rewarding as advertised but as many have warned me, right now might not be the time. I’ll keep studying.
I have great respect to all who are keeping a good attitude and fighting your way through this. It tells me what character is required to succeed and shows me that it must be rewarding or people like you wouldn’t keep doing it.
Thanks,
Bob

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For those who do make it thru this cloud..the sense of accomplishment, hard work and a hyper sense of pride on a job well done...We will all be stronger for it...:)