What Does Your Carrier OWE You?

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
I see this as a two way street. When our carrier takes a cheap load for reasons unknown to us we still refuse the load. We do not lose any sleep over wondering how they got that load covered. I do not care when I am the tenth truck to turn down a load and the dispatcher is getting desperate to cover the load.

I also do not expect them to care about my bills. Some of us have little or no bills and others have so many bills I do not know how they can breathe. To me the carrier has one concern book loads and give us the opportunity to run those loads.

If the carrier takes a cheap load they have to find a truck willing to carry it, if we get ourselves into deep with bills or payments it is up to us to figure out how to pay our bills.

I totally agree with you caffee,It takes a smart buisness man/women to get ahead in todays game.With the reduced rates,Its hard to even book a load for a cargo van over .70 per mile.
I just feel theres a little more helping out, between the smaller carriers and the O/Os .The O/Os are left in the dark and hung out to dry in the larger ones.Its crazy how many people I run into at truck stops that had a different picture painted of this industry and their carrier.Maybee some of them should have researched more.The time now also isnt good to get in the business ,for the rest of us just ride it out.I personally may just sit it out for a few months.It isnt worth the fuel idling in a truck stop.I would say by april/may 20-30% will be out of the game.We may see a couple carriers fold or merge also.The larger carriers will just hire more fresh recruits and all will be well in their eyes.I know its only to replace the ones they lost:rolleyes:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Your company sounds familiar blizzard, you didnt happen to buy Panther and rename it.

i have had only 3 offers of the last 25 that wear below rate (1.35) ST
so you must be talking about a different company. this since the first of the year

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
When our carrier takes a cheap load for reasons unknown to us we still refuse the load. We do not lose any sleep over wondering how they got that load covered. I do not care when I am the tenth truck to turn down a load and the dispatcher is getting desperate to cover the load.
While I respect your viewpoint and understand why you might have it, I see things from a bit different perspective - don't consider that either is absolutely "right" or "wrong" .... they just are ...

Perhaps some of the difference comes from being leased to two carriers which are dramatically different in terms of size.

I also do not expect them to care about my bills. Some of us have little or no bills and others have so many bills I do not know how they can breathe. To me the carrier has one concern book loads and give us the opportunity to run those loads.
It seems to me that it would be wise for any individual, company, or organization to be concerned with the financial health and well-being with those that they are associated with, particularly those who they are involved in a business relationship with - and to want those other parties to do well.

That concern doesn't have to be some "pie-in-the-sky" altruistic motivation (although it's fine if it is) - it can simply be a pragmatic thing - as an example, an O/O who is in good financial straits may be more inclined to a cover the occassional marginal load than one who isn't (please notice I didn't say unprofitable) - maybe that helps your carrier keep a customer that they might have lost. It's a mutual benefit perhaps, in the long term, if not in the short.

If the carrier takes a cheap load they have to find a truck willing to carry it, if we get ourselves into deep with bills or payments it is up to us to figure out how to pay our bills.
As it should be ..... the point is not to make another wholly responsible for something which they inherently aren't ...... just simply to recognize that to the degree that everyone is willing to be more responsible (for both self and others), then the better things might go overall .......

I suspect that it is fairly likely that if one has little concern about issues that others face, that the others will likely give one the same measure.

While I'm all for individual initiative and personal responsibility, also I think survival is very far from an individual activity, and it is all too easy to become so individuated and separated from those around you, that all one focuses on is one's own individual survival.

Individual survival is certainly a thing that one has to be concerned with, but in my experience, the more responsible one is willing to be, the better things seem to go overall .... for both oneself and others ...... of course, YMMV.

Reactions: 1 person