What Does Your Carrier OWE You?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok, we all have seem the post by Roadhooligan (Bob) about his contract being terminated. Now I am not siding with Bob or the Carrier, but I'd like to know just what any of us think our carrier owes us...

Me personally I don't think Bolt owes me anything more than what is stated in my lease with them...
i looked and it doesn't say that they OWE me any freight to haul at all. In lay words, it basically says they will offer me freight that they find if they want to, its not required of them....they don't owe me this opportunity for any set amount of time and either of us can stop this lease agreement at anytime for whatever reason...

So what do each of you feel the carrier you lease to owes you?

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
Honesty.

That's all I ask for really. Everything else is incidental. If a carrier is honest with me and understands that I also am trying to run a business then I am happy. If I'm not making money with a carrier I always have other options.

Good topic. Wish I could give some pos rep.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine is more like...They will find me loads...not how many or to where or at what times for a specific rate per mile (subject to change as per notice) and I will supply my vehicle and services.
To maintain said vehicle in safe running order and be professional and courteous to all customers....If there is a problem with said shipper/ customer take it too the carrier NOT the shipper/receiver.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Rlent wrote:

A fair shot at the opportunity to serve them .....

Excellent response!! When i read my least the 1st time and when I looked at it again today before I posted this, as I am sure most here can agree when ypu look at your leasts, there is more in there about what YOU the "contractor" will do and are required then the carrier!!

You are signing with your choosen carrier to "provide them with a service" you are offering to be of "service to them", not the other way around!

Thanks Randy!! You made the point i was trying to get everyone that read this to figure out....The carrier doesn't owe any of us anything...

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Honesty.

That's all I ask for really. Everything else is incidental. If a carrier is honest with me and understands that I also am trying to run a business then I am happy. If I'm not making money with a carrier I always have other options.

Good topic. Wish I could give some pos rep.

You can give pos rep just hit on the little cloud and tell them Great Job!! Very easy to do and very appreciated.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Post! Wave of Pom Pom!!!

We signed on with a carrier we felt would give us the most opportunity to make money. We keep our end of the bargain with a good attitude, clean truck, on time pickup and delivery, and we keep the customers freight safe.

So far we are holding up our side of the lease and they are holding up their side of the lease.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
Honestly I don't understand what the purpose of this thread is. We sign a lease agreement with our carrier and have to maintain our portion, no matter what. However, for the carrier there always seems to be a loophole (see other posts on not getting escrow payments ect). You are right maybe we are not owed anything more than is stated. However, I tend to believe that is what is wrong with the expediting industry. Carriers care about drivers, when business is good, and look for any reason to cut them when business is bad. That is economics, but that doesn't make it right. You can do favors for your carrier, only for them not to remember your name when you need something. Again this is what I feel is wrong with expedite. Whether or not we complain, or just take our lumps and learn, is up to us, but the forum is open for discussion, so we are allowed to complain. Hopefully Bolt will give this guy a bonus for his fairness of his post.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
sdelliott31 wrote:

Hopefully Bolt will give this guy a bonus for his fairness of his post.

Bolt isn't going to give me anything I don't earn and I won't ever ask them to.

As for the reason for the post, it is simply to see the mindset of other drivers, nothing more. As to your "believeing thats whats wrong with expediting and the industry.." Its business, and that is all it is. I am sure we can all look at every occupations we have all worked in and find more then a few things that while right, we didn't like and complained about..again, its business.

We all get paid to do what we contract to do, doing the company a favor is your choice, and to be frank, expecting "payback" is ...well, we all know that most favors go unpaid and not in just business......

All carriers have their warts, and so do all drivers, O/O's, just as in any industry....

When we contract to a carrier it is to provide them with our services and all they owe us is the payment that goes along with it, nothing more.....

By the way, when was the last time you posted that your dispatchers did a good job last week? When was the last time you told a dispatcher thanks for digging up that last home run load you got???? And that is a general question, not directed to anyone... No need to answer it... just think about it....Maybe thats whats wrong with expediting....or are those dispatchers "just doing their job... and they aren't "owed" anything more.........

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I was told as a kid if you had a wart to catch a toad and get it to "P" on it, now i have more warts!! :D

Last edited:

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
sdelliott31 wrote:

Bolt isn't going to give me anything I don't earn and I won't ever ask them to.

As for the reason for the post, it is simply to see the mindset of other drivers, nothing more. As to your "believeing thats whats wrong with expediting and the industry.." Its business, and that is all it is. I am sure we can all look at every occupations we have all worked in and find more then a few things that while right, we didn't like and complained about..again, its business.

We all get paid to do what we contract to do, doing the company a favor is your choice, and to be frank, expecting "payback" is ...well, we all know that most favors go unpaid and not in just business......

All carriers have their warts, and so do all drivers, O/O's, just as in any industry....

When we contract to a carrier it is to provide them with our services and all they owe us is the payment that goes along with it, nothing more.....

You opened this thread to ask what people thought. This is what I think. I said in my post this is business, however it doesn't make it right. I think if the carriers were more likely to lend a hand as well, the retention of drivers would be better. People would feel like when they drove all night they had someone truly in their corner. And its not just business. I know people who take time off of their jobs for illness, pregnancies, whatever, and their company will work with them, because the company is invested, or maybe, cares about the individual. Those companies keep loyal workers. I'm not trying to start anything, but yes, you are right, we are owed nothing but fair settlements. However, there should be more, as in respect, and fairness on both sides.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is usually one line at the bottom of most contracts...

Company reserves the right to ............

makes all that is above null and void.....:rolleyes:

aileron

Expert Expediter

By the way, when was the last time you posted that your dispatchers did a good job last week? When was the last time you told a dispatcher thanks for digging up that last home run load you got???? And that is a general question, not directed to anyone...

I do this sometimes. After I get the load info on the qualcomm I send a free message with a 'thank you for the load'. Sometimes I get a response back, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I even get a 'thank you for accept' message after the load info.

I have been with 2 carriers so far, and both are the same. Small difference between them, but any time they need you for some load they call you honey, and other sweet names, but after you help them, they don't remember who you are.

I said this in another thread, but it bugs me for them to remind me how insignifficant I am every time they send me a letter to comply with one of their rules. I have done everything they asked for, never complained, but they still insist to let me know that they can end my contract for any or no reason. I would understand for them to do this if I let them know that I don't want to comply, and then... But, the only thing I can do is just release some steam and realize that I am really that insignifficant, and if I quit, there are 3 probably waiting to get in.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Hey Chef! About that toad pee thing.....What about frogs???? I'm a bit concerned cuz I have a frog in my throat!!! LOL!!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
aileron, Good for you, and yes, if you are not goving your carrier a reason to send those nasty communications, then you are justified in your anger with them. But I know that those "thanks" to dispatch are appreciated...

And Anne, did you "get" that frog in your throat about, ohhhh "Super Bowl" time!?!? Go Steelers!! :D