The Sprinter Wanna Be's

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chef: Isn't your van SRW? If it is, then I would count on your GVW really being 10,000. The 12,300 number, IIRC, assumes duals on that chassis.

Sent from my VM670 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I've been around the block more than once in a cargo van and have only been stopped twice. Once for displaying flammable placards and the other time was for only one headlight. What am I doing wrong or right?

As was pointed out, the headlamp being out was what you were doing wrong, and that is the exact thing I have been stopped for twice...once in the old van, once in the Cargo Max...both times loaded, 1 time heavy but not sure of my exact weight at the time of either stop, but it wasn't even brought up in either case....:)

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Chef: Isn't your van SRW? If it is, then I would count on your GVW really being 10,000. The 12,300 number, IIRC, assumes duals on that chassis.

Sent from my VM670 using EO Forums

Yeap it is a SRW..and i can honestly tell you its a total non-issue to me, and my carrier is obviously ok with the trucks and their GVW rating, there are 5 of them signed on with them since i put this one on with them, and another coming....

Oh and my carrier, thats who i get my loads from.....:D

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Yeap it is a SRW..and i can honestly tell you its a total non-issue to me and my carrier is obviously ok with the trucks and their GVW rating, there are 5 of them signed on with them and another coming....

Oh and my carrier, thats who i get my loads from.....:D

Count me in buying one if I can find one. Found one in Arizona 2012 model but little far to drive it back.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Count me in buying one if I can find one. Found one in Arizona 2012 model but little far to drive it back.

Fly out and pictk it up and then get a load back....other then that, your local dealer can get one from Cargo Max..and I'd bet there are 2011 chassis available....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Whats your point? It is the choice I made with sprinter ownership....Crap happens and I accept that...

Wow!! Really!?!? Kinda like when others have bought Gas model units of another type other then a "Sprinter", we accepted that we wouldn't get the mileage of a sprinter...:D

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dennis: this truck [and anything I drive] does not run overweight, ever. Period.
It's not just a legal risk, it's flat stupid to put that kind of stress on the vehicle, and the driver, too, IMO, for a few dollars.
It won't be a laughing matter if you're ever involved in an accident while running overweight [and life is just full of surprises] - especially now that you admitted doing it on a public forum.

Ps I don't know whether you're right about the discrepancy in GVWR stickers vs VIN, but I tend to think the carriers' Safety people have the legally correct info, and the VIN is what the law accepts as correct. Have you any cites that say otherwise? :confused:

Cheri, go back to OVM's post # 56.....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I was either driving or sleeping and missed out with this excellant reading and popcorn eating issue .

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm the furthest thing from a DOT narc but what you're doing wrong is only having one headlight. Other than it being a semi decent but generic song by the wallflowers (featuring Bob Dylan's son), you can't cyclops down the interstate Moot!

Can I cyclops out on highway 61?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow!! Really!?!? Kinda like when others have bought Gas model units of another type other then a "Sprinter", we accepted that we wouldn't get the mileage of a sprinter...:D

Exactly Chef.....it is the same as straights arguing about a KW over Freightshakers or even Hino's...why does anyone chose one brand over another....because we all have different likes and dislikes and ideas what we want.... there is no requirement I like your choice and the same back around...as long it suits you....it is no ones business....the nannys can go back to sleep...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well .70 +.18 FSC comes out to .88 per mile loaded, not good I don't get out of bed for less the 1.25 a mile. When I started I took the 1.06 mile loads. Now if I worked at Panther I would be sitting in Laredo like all those other .90 per mile drivers. Some have sit for 5 days, not me seen 15 vans down there on Saturday and headed back to Dallas. Now my rate was cut in half since I headed back to the house, but how much would it have cost me just staying down there when its 109 during the day and 80 at night.

Will I buy another Sprinter, I'll be looking at the new Fords or a cargo max, hell I'll be waiting for a Ford based Cargo Max in the near future. Just dreaming. I like Fords, but hate their fuel mileage.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is from Ford on a GVW rectification, if you need to know more here is the web site I got he info from.

Re-rating GVWR: Why and How it's Done - Article - Work Truck

Beattie and Chew noted their greatest involvement comes with vehicles rated at 10,000 lbs. and under. With heavy and medium trucks, VSOs are now set up to accommodate the special GVW ratings. One requirement for vehicles over 10,000 GVW is that the drivers maintain comprehensive logbooks.

So, according to Chew, "The customer might say 'I'm willing to give up the payload capacity. I really don't need it. I want you to de-rate the vehicle. I'm happy to have all the components that allow me to have that much capacity, but I want a vehicle that's rated at 10,000 lbs. or less, so I can avoid maintaining logbooks and some of the other markings that must be on the vehicle.' "

He added the logbook and vehicle marking issues are the main reasons, over the past few years, the VSO group has been asked to do a 10,000 lb. de-rate from a higher GVWR — either 11,500 or 10,700 lbs.

Canada mandates a similar requirement as well, based on a GVWR of 4.5 metric tonnes (9,900 lbs.)

Chew noted that in the latest model-year, he and Beattie have taken many such special requests and incorporated them into the regular ordering guide. Those special GVWRs can be ordered from Ford without going through VSO. A 10,000-lb. GVW rating, for example, is available in both Super Duty and Econoline products.

Econoline products concern the shuttlebus industry. "For one fleet customer, we have de-rated an 11,500 lb. GVWR vehicle down to 9,900 lb. GVWR. The reasons are similar in Canada and the U.S., except it is a 9,900 lb. GVW rating that doesn't normally exist on a Ford cutaway today," Chew said.

According to Chew, a recent request came from a customer who wanted to take a 9,600-lb. single-rear-wheel cutaway, and up-rate it to 10,050 lbs. Another such request came from a shuttlebus customer who wanted to move from a Class 2 to Class 3 vehicle. Both requests appear based on the fact that in some cases standards may be less stringent.