The Sprinter Wanna Be's

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I wanted to get anal about numbers I'd start calculating how much money I've soent on cigarettes for the past 20 years and imagine that money having gone into an IRA account with compounding interset. That would make me almost depressed to the point of tears.

Probably not just almost especially with the price escalation.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
..these guys talk repairs? Like how often do we need repairs?...

It's not how often you need them , it's when you do need them. How long were you down last year with your injector issue that turned Into a computer issue too. A week , 2 weeks? So what revenue did you loose during that period ? what was the cost of repairs ? Cost of room and board while in motel?

What that cost you I can replace a gas engine and still have money left over.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ya see all you EX straight truck drivers get TOO focused on weight because you had to....BUT...to be successful in CVing, the rules/lines are blurred at times....a little more weight/ a few more hours behind the wheel and so forth....we push the limits to edge and then maybe one foot over...If someone is going to stick to the rules they are going to have a tough time.....

I'm one of those that is TOO focused on weight and I'm not even an ex-straight truck driver! My payload weight on record with my carrier is about 200 pounds less than my legal capacity. This is so out of their realm of comprehension that it has caused some problems in the past. I imagine most who read this post are scratching their heads. Hey, I like to stay legal and also have a little wiggle room. I stick to the rules and I'm still hanging in there.

we chase down loads, we boogie when we have to....we beat loads from the bushes....we wine and dine dispatch and generally suck up...even if it means cheescake or pickles or donuts, yes, you heard that from me.....whatever it takes to get that next load...We don't play fair.....nice guys finish last in CVing...it is CVing at its best....

I try and play fair. I admit to working my carrier's ever changing system way more than should be required of me and taking advantage of them whenever possible, but I have never, ever, in my whole life, work or otherwise, been accused of sucking up. I just do what I do. I would quote my friend Chuck Gill again, but the last time I did I got a 2 week suspension from E.O.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
15.1 mpg with 4100 lbs on...at 65 .... put 4100 lbs in yours and ill follow you and rescue the load down the road....:Dd

And i have had 4400 lbs in it and it still sat level no sag in the rear suspension....rememer its a 12,300 chassis and ill run it heavy all day wth no worries....even at 4400, i am still not at the max the chassis can handle....:D

Wonder why you have replaced most of your steering parts yet? How many tires have you replaced in the first 100k miles? Didnt you have a trans issue too?

Then there is rate that i get when Itake those 3500- 4000 lb loads..:D

Is it really worth the cost of the damage it does to your vehicle? and OH... My cube van doesnt haul near the weight you do and my rates are better than what you posted the other day with far less repairs.... and Oh I got 58,000 out of the stock steer tires you swore I would never get 20k with.

Golf, it is a 12,300 gvw chassis recertified to 10,000 gvw , my "Cat Scale" ticket from the Pilot Scale on alexis road & I-280 in toledo has it at 6600 lbs and that is what "safety" has listed....so that would be 3300 lbs by the listing on the door...but i have no issue at all with the weights i have hauled since i still haven't come close to capacity of the chassis limit....LOL, i mean its not like truckers don't ever run over weight...:D

Your going to get nailed by the DOT one day.... And when you do it will not be pretty. Keep flappin those lips..... Good Luck to you when you get popped. You havent seen expensive yet!

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
we wine and dine dispatch and generally suck up...even if it means cheescake or pickles or donuts, yes, you heard that from me.....whatever it takes to get that next load...We don't play fair..

Remember that when the next time a guy is pre booked on a load out of Laredo going to South Carolina. Whats good for you is good for the rest right?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Eight years ago, I considered buying a Sprinter, but decided not to when I read & heard all the horror stories about waiting for parts. A minor breakdown becomes major when you factor in days [or weeks] of downtime! I thought that maybe by the time I was ready to replace the van, the Sprinter parts availability would be a non issue - apparently not. You can argue that it doesn't happen often, but it only takes once to wipe out an entire maintenance fund, and maybe a savings acct too. I don't have that high a tolerance for gambling, myself.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm one of those that is TOO focused on weight and I'm not even an ex-straight truck driver! My payload weight on record with my carrier is about 200 pounds less than my legal capacity. This is so out of their realm of comprehension that it has caused some problems in the past. I imagine most who read this post are scratching their heads. Hey, I like to stay legal and also have a little wiggle room. I stick to the rules and I'm still hanging in there.

I try and play fair. I admit to working my carrier's ever changing system way more than should be required of me and taking advantage of them whenever possible, but I have never, ever, in my whole life, work or otherwise, been accused of sucking up. I just do what I do. I would quote my friend Chuck Gill again, but the last time I did I got a 2 week suspension from E.O.

same here on the weight...I have some wiggle room over and above my listed weight with carrier....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Eight years ago, I considered buying a Sprinter, but decided not to when I read & heard all the horror stories about waiting for parts. A minor breakdown becomes major when you factor in days [or weeks] of downtime! I thought that maybe by the time I was ready to replace the van, the Sprinter parts availability would be a non issue - apparently not. You can argue that it doesn't happen often, but it only takes once to wipe out an entire maintenance fund, and maybe a savings acct too. I don't have that high a tolerance for gambling, myself.

The only problem I've had is the master cylinder. That was from day one, dealer had it in stock. Got it replaced some where in the 30k range after they finally decided to listen to an outside mechanics explanation of what was going on.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's not how often you need them , it's when you do need them. How long were you down last year with your injector issue that turned Into a computer issue too. A week , 2 weeks? So what revenue did you loose during that period ? what was the cost of repairs ? Cost of room and board while in motel?

What that cost you I can replace a gas engine and still have money left over.

Whats your point? It is the choice I made with sprinter ownership....Crap happens and I accept that...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dennis: this truck [and anything I drive] does not run overweight, ever. Period.
It's not just a legal risk, it's flat stupid to put that kind of stress on the vehicle, and the driver, too, IMO, for a few dollars.
It won't be a laughing matter if you're ever involved in an accident while running overweight [and life is just full of surprises] - especially now that you admitted doing it on a public forum.

Ps I don't know whether you're right about the discrepancy in GVWR stickers vs VIN, but I tend to think the carriers' Safety people have the legally correct info, and the VIN is what the law accepts as correct. Have you any cites that say otherwise? :confused:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I heard and this is second hand information, that Shane runs 70 psi all around.

I run 70 in the rear and 46 in the front. That's what is on the door post. I was sceptical at first, but tires are wearing fine and rotate every 10k. I played around with it a little at first on the front. More air seams to make a harder ride.

When I picked up the van new, it had 60 all around!

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
....and before anyone goes there, in 5 yrs out here, i have run over weight more then i can remember...and i ain't ver had an issue with the DOT or LEO's and i have been stopped while running heavy, its never been an issue..will be? who knows, but until it happens, i aint worried about it...

I've been around the block more than once in a cargo van and have only been stopped twice. Once for displaying flammable placards and the other time was for only one headlight. What am I doing wrong or right?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been around the block more than once in a cargo van and have only been stopped twice. Once for displaying flammable placards and the other time was for only one headlight. What am I doing wrong or right?
I'm the furthest thing from a DOT narc but what you're doing wrong is only having one headlight. Other than it being a semi decent but generic song by the wallflowers (featuring Bob Dylan's son), you can't cyclops down the interstate Moot!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Shadow wrote:

Wonder why you have replaced most of your steering parts yet? How many tires have you replaced in the first 100k miles? Didnt you have a trans issue too?

Ahh, other then the ft hubs, which i replaced at 125,000 as a preventative measure because their life span is about 150,000 miles, the ft end componets with the exception of the shocks is totally OE @ 130,773 miles..the OE General tires were replace because they were junk, not because of the weight that they were asked to carry..I believe Rocket has replaced his also as as Piper. the rt ft was replace after that because i hit a piece of steel in the rpad that took out the shock and I didn't catch it in time..and then again a few months ago because of alignment...No trans issue other then service and thats due again...

Is it really worth the cost of the damage it does to your vehicle? and OH... My cube van doesnt haul near the weight you do and my rates are better than what you posted the other day with far less repairs.... and Oh I got 58,000 out of the stock steer tires you swore I would never get 20k with.

Since the chassis is a 12,300 gvw chassis and i have yet to exceed , i have to ask how i am damaging it? then there is the question that most have asked over time, "i wonder just how much the manufacture "underraters" the capacity for their own liability..."its good that you got 58,000 miles out of those Generals, you were fortunate...and i am more then happy to know you are getting better rates then me on average, as I said, "i know there are people making more then me at Load 1, I can now add you to that list..:) And i by no means see my repairs as out of line at all...Oh..the rear tires, they are the OE from the "upfitter" from when the duals were replaced with the singles, the ones that carry the bulk of the weight on the rear axle, they have 130,000 and should go another 40,000 or so...and the brakes, when i replaced the ft hubs, they weren't bad, it was a preventative thing at 125,000 , the brakes are still 80% there...

Your going to get nailed by the DOT one day.... And when you do it will not be pretty. Keep flappin those lips..... Good Luck to you when you get popped. You havent seen expensive yet!

Thats what we hire lawyers for...But, let me ask, if or when i get stopped, will i be ticketed for being Over weight (over 10,000 gvw) or for no logbook (because they will go back to the 12,3000 gvw)...can't have it both ways....

Last edited: