The Sprinter Wanna Be's

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
3,000.. and that's with extra batteries, etc.

Dale

Man, my gas motored Cargo Max scaled at 6600 empty, stripped down empty....i am pretty sure that duramax weights more then 400 lbs more then the gas motor...but then again, id run 3000 lbs in that thing all day long and not have a worry in the world....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My baby high top Sprinter scaled at 4960 with my butt in it. Won't be carrying 3500# any time soon though.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Man, my gas motored Cargo Max scaled at 6600 empty, stripped down empty....i am pretty sure that duramax weights more then 400 lbs more then the gas motor...but then again, id run 3000 lbs in that thing all day long and not have a worry in the world....

I'll have to ask him when I see him again.. I was pretty sure he told me 3, but I might be wrong. It happened once before :)

Dale

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I apologize for not being clearer with the phrase "sales presentation". I've now talked with two people, one if them this past weekend, who have received the presentation in the, uhm, Thingie. Both we're under the distinct impression that they could de-rate, run over weight, with no worries. And even though you haven't explicitly stated as much online, it is nonetheless the impression that people get from your posts.

Dang I had a nice response all typied out and lost it...hate when that happens...oh well..

Now...No apologies needed...the fact is any number of trucks can be "legally" decertifed to 10,000 lb or 9900 lbs or anything under the stated gvw rating on the "incomplete" manufacturers sticker. In the case of MY Cargo Max, it is at 10,000 gvw..so does that mean that after the 16 in drw's are removed and replace with a higher load range set of srw tires that the truck can still handle the 12,300 lb combined weight without causing damage to the truck such as "premature" failure of parts because it was run heavy over the 10,000 lb gvwr? Yes...does that mean that anyone should run heavy?..nope, that is up to each individual...as i have said in the past on this topic, each individual should do what works for them and not simply do as i do...LOL anyone that has read my postings here should know that my way of doing things and my thought patterns are not should we say "of the mainstream"....:)

The decertified truck will carry weights that would take it over the 10,000 lb gvwr but still be under the 12,300 gvwr with no problems concerning the mechanics of the truck at all. Could one have "other" problems or issues?? Sure, there are other issues that one might consider... just because they aren't a concern to me, doesn't mean others should not address them...each individual needs to do what they feel is in their best interest...me, i'll still run heavy when the need arises....tada!! :D

That work?? :D

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That works fine, except the only "worries" you addressed are mechanical. You didn't really address the ramifications of de-rating a CMV to a non-CMV, and continuing to run it as if it we're a CMV specifically to circumvent logging and scaling. Those are the concerns and impressions of those who have asked me about it.

You've stated here that you aren't worried about that, and if it happens you'll just pay a lawyer. I get the impression that you think that all you're looking at is a few hundred dollars worth of fines and court costs, maybe some attorney fees. De-rating a CMV and then continuing to run it as a heavy truck or bus to specifically avoid DOT regulations can get you insane fees and a lengthy suspension of your license, especially if you are over weight and are involved in an accident.

It's not much different than hauling HAZMAT and not putting placards on because you don't want to mess with logging and scaling. Get caught and it's not pretty. Get caught while in an accident and it's downright ugly.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
That works fine, except the only "worries" you addressed are mechanical. You didn't really address the ramifications of de-rating a CMV to a non-CMV, and continuing to run it as if it we're a CMV specifically to circumvent logging and scaling. Those are the concerns and impressions of those who have asked me about it.

You've stated here that you aren't worried about that, and if it happens you'll just pay a lawyer. I get the impression that you think that all you're looking at is a few hundred dollars worth of fines and court costs, maybe some attorney fees. De-rating a CMV and then continuing to run it as a heavy truck or bus to specifically avoid DOT regulations can get you insane fees and a lengthy suspension of your license, especially if you are over weight and are involved in an accident.

It's not much different than hauling HAZMAT and not putting placards on because you don't want to mess with logging and scaling. Get caught and it's not pretty. Get caught while in an accident and it's downright ugly.

Sure i did, i just didn't "list them" those are the other issues..." as to the "cost"..lol, a speeding ticket now can set you back a quick grand with lawyers fees..(ask me how i know)...I have no delusions of walking away cheap, but then again...i am really not concerned....and yes if I was overweight and got into an accident, yeap there'd be hell to pay...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
dupe, my bad....
Speaking of dupes... I'll repeat it again using terms I know you'll understand now... when you talk to people about your setup, especially regarding the de-rating of the vehicles, you might want to give them a more accurate, honest and complete picture by, you know, "listing them".

Juuuust a suggestion

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess i'll just keep running my 1 ton ext. tuna can van , because this sprinter or not topic is giving me a headache . lol , besides my carrier gets me atleast 1 load a week the way i'm currently setup.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess i'll just keep running my 1 ton ext. tuna can van , because this sprinter or not topic is giving me a headache . lol , besides my carrier gets me atleast 1 load a week the way i'm currently setup.

WTG...don't need no steenkin big van:D

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I did some research today and I am conflicted. I read Chief's post about being able to derate to 10,000 lbs GVW. Afterwards I called Midway Vehicles who manufacture American Cargo bodies. They are the only cargo body manufacturer authorized by Mercedes to add a cargo body to a Sprinter chassis with a walk through bulkhead.
I told them I am considering ordering a Sprinter chassis with their body derated to 10,000 GVW. They told me that they cannot legally do so. Only Mercedes Benz can. I called Mercedes and they told me they would not do a derate.
Then I read Beachbum's post in which he has a link to an article about rerating.
The last two paragraphs seem to say that to derate the vehicle referred to in the article the owner had to go to the dealer who had to submit a request to Ford, who had to change the vehicle's vin number. The article claims this is hard to get done.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I did some research today and I am conflicted. I read Chief's post about being able to derate to 10,000 lbs GVW. Afterwards I called Midway Vehicles who manufacture American Cargo bodies. They are the only cargo body manufacturer authorized by Mercedes to add a cargo body to a Sprinter chassis with a walk through bulkhead.
I told them I am considering ordering a Sprinter chassis with their body derated to 10,000 GVW. They told me that they cannot legally do so. Only Mercedes Benz can. I called Mercedes and they told me they would not do a derate.
Then I read Beachbum's post in which he has a link to an article about rerating.
The last two paragraphs seem to say that to derate the vehicle referred to in the article the owner had to go to the dealer who had to submit a request to Ford, who had to change the vehicle's vin number. The article claims this is hard to get done.

The Fed Code:

Title 49: Transportation

Subtitle B: Other Regulations Relating to Transportation (Continued)

CHAPTER V: NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 567: CERTIFICATION

567.7 - Requirements for persons who alter certified vehicles.

(a) With respect to the vehicle alterations it performs, an alterer:

(1) Has a duty to determine continued conformity of the altered vehicle with applicable Federal motor vehicle safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention standards, and

(2) Assumes legal responsibility for all duties and liabilities for certification under the Vehicle Safety Act.

(b) The vehicle manufacturer's certification label and any information labels shall remain affixed to the vehicle and the alterer shall affix to the vehicle an additional label in the manner and location specified in ? 567.4, in a manner that does not obscure any previously applied labels, and containing the following information:

(1) The statement: ?This vehicle was altered by (individual or corporate name) in (month and year in which alterations were completed) and as altered it conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards affected by the alteration and in effect in (month, year).? The second date shall be no earlier than the date of manufacture of the certified vehicle (as specified on the certification label), and no later than the date alterations were completed.

(2) If the gross vehicle weight rating or any of the gross axle weight ratings of the vehicle as altered are different from those shown on the original certification label, the modified values shall be provided in the form specified in ? 567.4(g)(3) and (4).

(3
) If the vehicle as altered has a different type classification from that shown on the original certification label, the type as modified shall be provided.

Body companies or "upfitters that are large enoungh have what are known as "pool chassis"...these are "incomplete vehicles".. and are "labeled" as such by the truck manufacturer. They are then finished when the body company adds the body, they are then considered the "final stage manufacturer" and or "alterer"...they affix the gvw rating to the finish product which can be anything from the OEM rating or lower then the OEM "incomplete" tag.

As i said this is done from everything from little trucks to Big trucks...From Cargo Max's where the drws are changed to srws and the gvw is lowered to "Glider kits".... Order a "glider kit" and look for a gvw tag from the OE manufacturer...there isn't 1...a glider kit will come with no rear axle(s) or suspension or other drive line components depending on how the unit was ordered...so the final stage manufacturer ( the certfied people that do the install of the drive train, the dealership, but not limited to them) will tag the truck ..the vin # will tell you nothing about the gvw of the truck....but the upfitter/ alterer will tag the truck with the needed info....people that stretch frames can legally "alter" the gvw of a truck, as long as the go lower, and are a "certified group" ...most don't bother they just leave it as is....But it is done legally all the time....

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not disputing what your saying. I wonder how that blends with states like Wisconsin for instance, their scale said all trucks over 4 tons must enter.

I have put on a lot of miles running through Wisconsin over the years. The only times I have stopped at their scales was when placarded. I make a distinction between the word truck and van. I have never been chased down for running a badger coop. Until a few years ago Iowa signage stated 8,000 pounds, it now reads over 10,000 pounds.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have put on a lot of miles running through Wisconsin over the years. The only times I have stopped at their scales was when placarded. I make a distinction between the word truck and van. I have never been chased down for running a badger coop. Until a few years ago Iowa signage stated 8,000 pounds, it now reads over 10,000 pounds.

I dont stop at them I was just curious because it was stated dot cannot write us tickets. If thats true I was wondering why they wanted lighter trucks to stop or I guess how they could even require us to do so.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
HMJ, and I thought I wrote weird stuff,,,,,,,u all got me beat by miles,,,,just drive a van and u dont see the man, rockets and science, it aint. of course, IMHO> This just in: Cold beer, hot women and good country music and mommas, dont let ur babies grow up to be expediters. There were no Sprinters burned in the makings of the previous comments.....................:rolleyes:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I've have put a limit of 2900 lbs. At that weight I get 22.5 mpg @65 mph.

Now lets talk MPG with more weight.... "It is what it is"

How do you get that much weight in one? I have a 2500 and when I was on the road, with only a modest amount of stuff in it, I was at 8600 with about 2600 lbs. of freight.

I'll agree on the mpg. Keep it at 65 and you can get over 20, but drive at 70 or higher and it's down around 18.

Of course now all it hauls is my butt, and that doesn't weigh quite as much as 2900, so I'm probably safe there.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Golf, it is a 12,300 gvw chassis recertified to 10,000 gvw , my "Cat Scale" ticket from the Pilot Scale on alexis road & I-280 in toledo has it at 6600 lbs and that is what "safety" has listed....so that would be 3300 lbs by the listing on the door...but i have no issue at all with the weights i have hauled since i still haven't come close to capacity of the chassis limit....LOL, i mean its not like truckers don't ever run over weight...:D

The thing I find interesting is that Load 1 has no problem knowingly overloading your vehicle and sending it down the highway. If an accident happened they would be as responsible as you but they seemingly could care less.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bingo , Fastrod you are todays posting winner . stop at Isis for your free breakfast . lol