The Sprinter Wanna Be's

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope some here read this and understand this.

UNDER 10001 LBS YOU ARE NOT A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE, DOT HAS NO CONTROL OVER YOUR WEIGHT LIKE A OVER 10000 LBS VEHICLE. YOU CANNOT EVEN HAVE A DOT INSPECTION UNLESS YOU ARE HAULING PLACARDED HAZMAT. NO SCALES IN ALL BUT TWO STATES SD AND SOMEONE SAID VA.

My god how many vehicles have you seen going down the road with their front ends looking at the sky and their tail ends just about hitting the ground and never get pulled over for being over weight.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Beachbum, you are talking to the wind...they don't want to hear that the DOT has no power over a 10,000 lb truck.....they want to apply the the 10,001 lb and over ST / TT thinking to the little trucks because it irks them that we just do what works for us....I've had a Michigan St Truck Emforcement officer tell me they can't even write me a ticket for being loaded passed the 10,000 lb tag...if they did, they'd have to ticket every guy the used the company 1/2 ton pu for hauling a ton of stone for their driveway as they drove home down 75 with their bumper dragging the pavement...:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you're going to scream in all-caps to make a point, then you really should learn the difference between a COMMERCIAL VEHICLE and a COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got pulled over once and had a DOT inspection done in IL. Officer ask for CDL, DOT Med Card and all the rest. He inspected my load to. In a Sprinter.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Beachbum, you are talking to the wind...they don't want to hear that the DOT has no power over a 10,000 lb truck.....they want to apply the the 10,001 lb and over ST / TT thinking to the little trucks because it irks them that we just do what works for us....I've had a Michigan St Truck Emforcement officer tell me they can't even write me a ticket for being loaded passed the 10,000 lb tag...if they did, they'd have to ticket every guy the used the company 1/2 ton pu for hauling a ton of stone for their driveway as they drove home down 75 with their bumper dragging the pavement...:rolleyes:

I am not disputing what your saying. I wonder how that blends with states like Wisconsin for instance, their scale said all trucks over 4 tons must enter.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
It's not that you can't be loaded past 10,000 pounds. It's what is required once past that 10,000 pound mark.

I suggest you educate yourself.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My god how many vehicles have you seen going down the road with their front ends looking at the sky and their tail ends just about hitting the ground and never get pulled over for being over weight.

Tail ends dragging on the ground? That can't be good for hemorrhoids. lol

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am not disputing what your saying. I wonder how that blends with states like Wisconsin for instance, their scale said all trucks over 4 tons must enter.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

I don't scale in any state, i don't stop out west at any ports of entry..I do stopat the Ag scales in Fla...but thats it..oh and "port patrol" check points also..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not that you can't be loaded past 10,000 pounds. It's what is required once past that 10,000 pound mark.

I suggest you educate yourself.
Exactly. The cost of an overweight ticket will be the least of his worries, and the cheapest.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
De-rating a CMV to 10,000 is fine, unless you're overweight. If you de-rate a vehicle to 10,000 and run it over that anyway, you're not simply overweight, you are in a CMV that was de-rated expressly for the purposes of circumventing DOT regs. They don't look at that sort of thing favorably.

As Yoda would say, "At you, the book they will throw. Yes."

I'm sure you know all of this. I merely suggest that somewhere in the sales presentation that you might want to consider fully informing people of the complete consequences of running such a vehicle in such a manner.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Food for thought... I checked out Piper's Cargomax the other day... 6.0 Duramax diesel... I believe he said 18-19 consistently at 65mph, and knocking on the door of 20mpg at 60-62.... ... That would make me consider it for sure.

Dale

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
De-rating a CMV to 10,000 is fine, unless you're overweight. If you de-rate a vehicle to 10,000 and run it over that anyway, you're not simply overweight, you are in a CMV that was de-rated expressly for the purposes of circumventing DOT regs. They don't look at that sort of thing favorably.

As Yoda would say, "At you, the book they will throw. Yes."

I'm sure you know all of this. I merely suggest that somewhere in the sales presentation that you might want to consider fully informing people of the complete consequences of running such a vehicle in such a manner.

Ahhh but you can look all over any of my post on this topic, no where have i ever told or suggested that anyone do as i do, i have told people that i wouldn't advise doing as i do..much like when i talk about taxes and dealing with the irs..:D

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
It's pretty simple. If you want the cheapest fuel cost per mile, buy a Sprinter. Be happy.

However, if you want a truck that costs less to maintain, doesn't worry you about where it might break down, doesn't worry you about waiting for special parts, it properly sized for American cargo, is properly sized for more comfort, costs less to buy, costs less to fix, accelerates/maintains speed better, and is AMERICAN built supporting Americans (at least north Americans), buy a Chevy or Ford cutaway with a good lightweight body.

I'll miss our 23 mpg 2006 Sprinter's fuel mileage but I'll smile like a madman as I relish the comfort and ease of mind in our new Ford cutaway van! To each their own!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Food for thought... I checked out Piper's Cargomax the other day... 6.0 Duramax diesel... I believe he said 18-19 consistently at 65mph, and knocking on the door of 20mpg at 60-62.... ... That would make me consider it for sure.

Dale

Sweet, but: The Duramax weighs quite a bit more than a gas engine. How does this affect his cargo-carrying ability?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ahhh but you can look all over any of my post on this topic, no where have i ever told or suggested that anyone do as i do, i have told people that i wouldn't advise doing as i do..much like when i talk about taxes and dealing with the irs..:D

I apologize for not being clearer with the phrase "sales presentation". I've now talked with two people, one if them this past weekend, who have received the presentation in the, uhm, Thingie. Both we're under the distinct impression that they could de-rate, run over weight, with no worries. And even though you haven't explicitly stated as much online, it is nonetheless the impression that people get from your posts.