The Sprinter Wanna Be's

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did a side by side comparison on a Sprinter vs a Sprinter wanna be the other day. The unit was a 2012 Aero Cell Ford, or a Cargo Max can't remember, with a 12 foot box.

We both filled up at the same place. We agreed to fill up in 200 miles.

I put 9 gallons in at a cost of 32.85

He put 18.9 in at a cost of 63.32- Gas cost was about .30 lower than what I paid.

We were both loaded with about 200 lbs differance in weight.

Ok Sprinter wanna be's- You folks say "It is what it is" well, here it is.

He did come out ahead, he got himself a 1/2 shower. :cool:

The 30.00 differance can be placed in a maint. fund for repairs after the 1st 100,000 miles for a new Sprinter. lol Maybe somewhere around $5.55 per gallon he's paying... compaired to what I paid.

Or help pay it off a lot sooner.....

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow under 11 mpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Yep. He told me he was getting at least 12 mpg. He was doing around 70 mph while I was running 65 to 68 mph. Funny though, we both pulled up to the pumps at the same time.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep. He told me he was getting at least 12 mpg. He was doing around 70 mph while I was running 65 to 68 mph. Funny though, we both pulled up to the pumps at the same time.

Ive.noticed that alot with peoples mpg claims. They don't actually calculate it they just give it their best guess.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
you didn't compare to a Cargo Maxx if it was on a ford or only had a 12 ft load floor..the Cargo Max is ONLY available on a Chevrolet (not even a GMC chassis) and it is also only available with a 14 foot load floor....

as far as the mileage..ok..i haven't met a person yet that is running a gas powered Cargo Max, cube van or uni cell or aero cell that thinks they are going to get the mileage of a diesel powered sprinter...especially the older 5 cylinder....but i will say i am within 2 miles per gallon of a 2009 diesel sprinter that a member here just bought and is getting 17-18 mpg in day in and day out...

and the 1/2 shower credit he got...thats his loss too..We at Load 1 get a full 1 credit for the purchase of only 15 gallons of gas/diesel...the right carrier is a good bemefit....

then there is the saving money for a maintainance fund...please..if it breaks, i pay for it. and i don't have a "fund' that i add to to replace this truck when its wore out..again, ill just buy it and pay for it....

now lets talk about the weight you can carry..:D

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I now find myself agreeing with Steady :D

Although a Ford or chevy can't touch a sprinter for gas mileage, I look at how expensive a Sprinter is to maintain, and the amount of maintenance they require.How expensive the parts are, as well as the parts availability and the downtime waiting for those parts.Or finding someone who knows how to work on them.Take Ziggi's van, for example.There is no reason for it taking that long to get it running, and it still doesnt! He is the last person that deserves this, and I commend him for being so patient through all of what he has gone through.We can learn form him, on how to deal with stress.So laid back, he is.Blood pressure must be near zero...lol..Yea, they ride nice, are big and roomy, quiet, awesome hvac system, and everything, but does it really pay off? I don't know.I often hear alot of Sprinter drivers say they are over-engineered.And I guess that is good for many reasons.But I like the simple, hassle free ownership of a Ford.Parts everywhere.Anybody can work on them.So, I guess it is more of a personal preference.Putting maintenance and the cost of ownership aside, nothing will come close to a Sprinter.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
you didn't compare to a Cargo Maxx if it was on a ford or only had a 12 ft load floor..the Cargo Max is ONLY available on a Chevrolet (not even a GMC chassis) and it is also only available with a 14 foot load floor....

as far as the mileage..ok..i haven't met a person yet that is running a gas powered Cargo Max, cube van or uni cell or aero cell that thinks they are going to get the mileage of a diesel powered sprinter...especially the older 5 cylinder....but i will say i am within 2 miles per gallon of a 2009 diesel sprinter that a member here just bought and is getting 17-18 mpg in day in and day out...

If he is getting 17 - 18 he has something wrong or he's driving 78. You need that weight capacity for the chili Mac factor. :)

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

and the 1/2 shower credit he got...thats is loss too..We at Load 1 get a full 1 credit for the purchase of only 15 gallons og gas/diesel...the right carrier is a good bemefit....

then there is the saving money for a maintainance fund...please..if it breaks, i pay for it. and i don't have a "fund' that i add to to replace this truck when its wore out..again, ill just buy it...

I've have put a limit of 2900 lbs. At that weight I get 22.5 mpg @65 mph.

Now lets talk MPG with more weight.... "It is what it is"

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If he is getting 17 - 18 he has something wrong or he's driving 78. You need that weight capacity for the chili Mac factor. :)

You rode with him for a while..:D...but the fact is, I certainly don't think for a minute i am going to get the mileae of a sprinter..and i never considered a sprinter when i bought my truck...and there is another 4 servings of chili mac 3 servings of 4 bones or smoked ribs and 3 3 cup servings of sheperds pie!!! :D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Although a Ford or chevy can't touch a sprinter for gas mileage, I look at how expensive a Sprinter is to maintain, and the amount of maintenance they require.How expensive the parts are, as well as the parts availability and the downtime waiting for those parts.Or finding someone who knows how to work on them.Take Ziggi's van, for example.There is no reason for it taking that long to get it running, and it still doesnt! He is the last person that deserves this, and I commend him for being so patient through all of what he has gone through.We can learn form him, on how to deal with stress.So laid back, he is.Blood pressure must be near zero...lol..Yea, they ride nice, are big and roomy, quiet, awesome hvac system, and everything, but does it really pay off? I don't know.I often hear alot of Sprinter drivers say they are over-engineered.And I guess that is good for many reasons.But I like the simple, hassle free ownership of a Ford.Parts everywhere.Anybody can work on them.So, I guess it is more of a personal preference.Putting maintenance and the cost of ownership aside, nothing will come close to a Sprinter.

The cost savings in fuel- you can put a brand new engine in every year. And go fishing while they install it.... :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
15.1 mpg with 4100 lbs on...at 65 .... put 4100 lbs in yours and ill follow you and rescue the load down the road....:Dd

And i have had 4400 lbs in it and it still sat level no sag in the rear suspension....rememer its a 12,300 chassis and ill run it heavy all day wth no worries....even at 4400, i am still not at the max the chassis can handle....:D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The cost savings in fuel- you can put a brand new engine in every year. And go fishing while they install it.... :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Again, the milesage in the diesel vs the gas isn't an issue, i **** more more on gas away every month running 2-300 empty to go to dinner..if i was worried about mileage, id i was worried about mileage to the extent that i would consider a sprinter, id just get out of the business...:D

Do i track my mileage? sure i do and i am making efforts to improve it, but it certainly isn't an overwelming deal for me, it if was, i wouldn't have bought what i did....LOL....

Then there is rate that i get when Itake those 4000 lb loads..:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again, the milesage in the diesel vs the gas isn't an issue, i **** more more on gas away every month running 2-300 empty to go to dinner..if i was worried about mileage, id i was worried about mileage to the extent that i would consider a sprinter, id just get out of the business...:D

Do i track my mileage? sure i do and i am making efforts to improve it, but it certainly isn't an overwelming deal for me, it if was, i wouldn't have bought what i did....LOL....

Then there is rate that i get when Itake those 4000 lb loads..:D

Watch it pal.....the number cops will get ya.....LOL..;)