The Sprinter Wanna Be's

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do you get that much weight in one? I have a 2500 and when I was on the road, with only a modest amount of stuff in it, I was at 8600 with about 2600 lbs. of freight.

I'll agree on the mpg. Keep it at 65 and you can get over 20, but drive at 70 or higher and it's down around 18.

Of course now all it hauls is my butt, and that doesn't weigh quite as much as 2900, so I'm probably safe there.

Charles...I did weigh out at around 5900 empty.....which left 2650 to make sticker weight...recently I ve trimmed down the junk and myself....5750 approx....leaving me at 2800 load weight...I will take up to 3,000 Lbs tho.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The thing I find interesting is that Load 1 has no problem knowingly overloading your vehicle and sending it down the highway. If an accident happened they would be as responsible as you but they seemingly could care less.

Excellent point.....however Load 1 is not the only carrier that does this to vans....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The thing I find interesting is that Load 1 has no problem knowingly overloading your vehicle and sending it down the highway. If an accident happened they would be as responsible as you but they seemingly could care less.

As i pointed out 2 pgs ago, all my loads come from my broker, i don't call them and request them, i don't get them myself...and as was also pointed out, alot of other carriers will load CV's the same way..I know my "previous" carrier did on my CV also....:D

Ok, since this is of concern, i went back from today to 1/4/12..in that time out of the i have only had 4 loads out of the 77 total loads that OVM and others that have posted on this thread wouldn't take my their own admissions from this and other post and "converations" as we have talked as we have driven down the road :D...i have had a total of 10 that would have put me over the 10,000 gvw 4 of those would be "marginable", lol depending on how much gas was in the truck...so that leaves 6 loads that were "heavy" that most wouldn't take

Now all of that being said, I as well as alot of others here, including those that feel the need to bust on me run over their rated GVW from time to time without logging...its how the van market is....:D and it is not a trait of "one single carrier" it happens across the board when it benefits any given carrier....

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Excellent point.....however Load 1 is not the only carrier that does this to vans....

While the above statement is true, the fact is no carrier is going to put any load on your truck that you don't accept....and that is a "generic" you...if dispatch offers a load that you feel you can't or won't take, it can always be turned down out of a "safety" concerned...it really falls on the O/O or driver....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I bet everyone here has been overloaded a time or two. Last minute call in and the shipper adds more stuff etc.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
While the above statement is true, the fact is no carrier is going to put any load on your truck that you don't accept....and that is a "generic" you...if dispatch offers a load that you feel you can't or won't take, it can always be turned down out of a "safety" concerned...it really falls on the O/O or driver....

Of course..it is our option to turn it down......I think what Fastrod was saying....dispatch has our specs in front of them.....why? would they even offer a load....Just using you as an example...listed at what 3,300....a 4200 Lb load? What fastrod was pointing to...why would a carrier even contemplate the liability?....

fastrod

Expert Expediter
As i pointed out 2 pgs ago, all my loads come from my broker, i don't call them and request them, i don't get them myself...and as was also pointed out, alot of other carriers will load CV's the same way..I know my "previous" carrier did on my CV also....:D

Ok, since this is of concern, i went back from today to 1/4/12..in that time out of the i have only had 4 loads out of the 77 total loads that OVM and others that have posted on this thread wouldn't take my their own admissions from this and other post and "converations" as we have talked as we have driven down the road :D...i have had a total of 10 that would have put me over the 10,000 gvw 4 of those would be "marginable", lol depending on how much gas was in the truck...so that leaves 6 loads that were "heavy" that most wouldn't take

Now all of that being said, I as well as alot of others here, including those that feel the need to bust on me run over their rated GVW from time to time without logging...its how the van market is....:D and it is not a trait of "one single carrier" it happens across the board when it benefits any given carrier....

Does not matter if you refer to Load 1 as a broker or carrier, they are the carrier you have an exclusive use contract with now just as Bolt Express was the carrier you had an exclusive use contract with before. They both had your legal weight capacity on record and both knowingly and willingly loaded you heavy. Like I said, they really could care less that you were overweight.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Does not matter if you refer to Load 1 as a broker or carrier, they are the carrier you have an exclusive use contract with now just as Bolt Express was the carrier you had an exclusive use contract with before. They both had your legal weight capacity on record and both knowingly and willingly loaded you heavy. Like I said, they really could care less that you were overweight.

Oh i totally understand what you are saying, but just like in anything else, like say "pay rates", once dispatch figures our a o/o or driver will run for a lower rate, thats what they offer..same here, dispatch knows who will take what, and they know who won't.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh i totally understand what you are saying, but just like in anything else, like say "pay rates", once dispatch figures our a o/o or driver will run for a lower rate, thats what they offer..same here, dispatch knows who will take what, and they know who won't.....

The beauty of a smaller carrier....I've been offered 3,000 Lb loads ...and then they say something like..."oh yeah, you don't do hills" LOL....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The beauty of a smaller carrier....I've been offered 3,000 Lb loads ...and then they say something like..."oh yeah, you don't do hills" LOL....

LOL, dispatch called late one night (i won't use his name lol) and said "hey I got this load, and such and such told me to call you... LOL, its like...i don't want it, "ets give it to mikie, he'll eat anything!!" Hey Mikie!!"" LOL...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL, dispatch called late one night (i won't use his name lol) and said "hey I got this load, and such and such told me to call you... LOL, its like...i don't want it, "ets give it to mikie, he'll eat anything!!" Hey Mikie!!"" LOL...

Besides...we have to leave some work for them straight trucks...LOL

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've run heavy once. With all my stuff I can legally carry about 2865. I am on the roll with the carrier at 2500. I picked up a load for a 21 mile run to put on an airplane that was listed on the BOL as 750 pounds. When it was put on the van I knew it was much heavier than claimed, at least 750 each not 750 for the pair. When I got to the delivery the total weight was 3011 pounds. They held it until a truck could return it as they didn't want to pay the air fee on 3011 pounds.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've run heavy once. With all my stuff I can legally carry about 2865. I am on the roll with the carrier at 2500. I picked up a load for a 21 mile run to put on an airplane that was listed on the BOL as 750 pounds. When it was put on the van I knew it was much heavier than claimed, at least 750 each not 750 for the pair. When I got to the delivery the total weight was 3011 pounds. They held it until a truck could return it as they didn't want to pay the air fee on 3011 pounds.

Once?...in all your time as a van driver...once?

Time to pick on you.....

The first skid went on...YOU suspected it heavier then stated....

Did you not ask the shipper to weigh it?

so you were over by a whole 146 Lbs?...gee whiz.....spring breaker there....LOL
I am guessing your tank wasn't filled to the top, so your overage would have been even less..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I bet everyone here has been overloaded a time or two. Last minute call in and the shipper adds more stuff etc.
Overloaded is one thing. But when you are overweight to the point where your vehicle actually changes Vehicle Class, you enter a whole 'nuther world of ramifications and consequences.

moose

Veteran Expediter
...it really falls on the O/O or driver....
Unless you are an Ambulance chaser following the money trail.
case in point :Jury Awards $24 Million To Woman In Texas Cell Phone Case
or in other words, if the carrier dose not enforced safety practices, then even if a truck that was loaded to the right scale, be involved in an accident,
the carrier will still be held accountable, because they did not enforced it's own roles.