The Sprinter Wanna Be's

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you run for .70 and 17 cents per fuel - you have to be wise or else you'll be out of business! Eddie can stretch them fuel surcharges to the limits. lol. I just had to take a shot at you Eddie. You can be profitable anywhere as long as you have a solid business plan!

I have you to know it is not .17 fsc! It's .18 fsc. Also, since I am with a "No Force Dispatch" carrier, I do not have to run for .70 pm.... so there!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have you to know it is not .17 fsc! It's .18 fsc. Also, since I am with a "No Force Dispatch" carrier, I do not have to run for .70 pm.... so there!

I was just messing with you Eddie. I was ruffling your E-1 feathers. I just want to get into the OVM vs Steady Eddie back and forth bashing banter. I worked for E-1 myself and used to get those dollar a mile loads as well as the lower paying ones. It is all in whatever works for the contractor. The best thing I liked about Express 1 was that they will allow you to take the entire winter off and then come back to work without terminating your contract. That's a pretty good deal right there. As far as rates are concrned it all depends on where you are and what's going on around you!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You might want to call an old teacher, for it to read as you'd like it to, the comma needed to be between the words Van and Thingee...

But, the fact is from the title of the thread to the mentioning of the Cargo Max you set out to stir the pot and nothing more...LOL, if that wasn't the intent, you would've simply have offered up the mileage comparisons without mentioning a "specific vehicle" as you did...As I said, Rocketman read it the same as I did, he just has enough sense to let it die on his part, or, he is having a few as well. I am a azzhole like that and will keep pushing it till I get bored....:D

Talk about teacher- wow- Here I fix it for ya.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just messing with you Eddie. I was ruffling your E-1 feathers. I just want to get into the OVM vs Steady Eddie back and forth bashing banter. I worked for E-1 myself and used to get those dollar a mile loads as well as the lower paying ones. It is all in whatever works for the contractor. The best thing I liked about Express 1 was that they will allow you to take the entire winter off and then come back to work without terminating your contract. That's a pretty good deal right there. As far as rates are concrned it all depends on where you are and what's going on around you!

lol- I like messing with folks too. Sometimes it is so easy.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
A friend of mine got stopped In his Cargomax. The cop noticed the larger tires on the back and did a vin check. My friend got a ticket for no log book based on the vin. He was told that DOT doesn't go by the 2nd manufacturer certification or the sticker on the door for the GVW. The DOT goes by the vin number which is different for the 10,000 lbs GVW model than for the 12,300 lbs GVW model.
I checked with the compliance department at the carrier I am leased to and they told me that this is the case. They told me that if I buy a new van they will go by the vin number to determine if I have to do logs.

moose

Veteran Expediter
All I look at is I did 24k last year and netted 14k - put another 4k back into the van for maintenance and had 10k left over. That works for me!
May i ask how many nights did you spent away from home to achieve that ?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine got stopped In his Cargomax. The cop noticed the larger tires on the back and did a vin check. My friend got a ticket for no log book based on the vin. He was told that DOT doesn't go by the 2nd manufacturer certification or the sticker on the door for the GVW. The DOT goes by the vin number which is different for the 10,000 lbs GVW model than for the 12,300 lbs GVW model.
I checked with the compliance department at the carrier I am leased to and they told me that this is the case. They told me that if I buy a new van they will go by the vin number to determine if I have to do logs.

Marty, that is some really good info!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Marty, that is some really good info!

Your buddy needs to fight that ticket...trucks of all sizes have had the gvw altered for yrs..from little trucks to "glider kits" and everything in between...the "final stage manufacture" installs the final build sticker on the body.. the door jam tag from the "truck chassis" manufacturer sayes, "incomplete" vehicle....all chassis manufactures have "upfitter body conversion specification" books that state the chassis "needs" that it needs to be finished to fall within the final specs. We even have a member here that has made application to become a "final stage manufacter" so that he can bulid trucks such as the Cargo max and "finish the manufacturing final stage" and place the "final stage' GVW sticker on the truck....It;s been done for yrs and every body company does it....

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I can see where Ron is headed with this weight "thingee" since we are into thingees...LOL

ya see all you EX straight truck drivers get TOO focused on weight because you had to....BUT...to be successful in CVing, the rules/lines are blurred at times....a little more weight/ a few more hours behind the wheel and so forth....we push the limits to edge and then maybe one foot over...If someone is going to stick to the rules they are going to have a tough time.....we chase down loads, we boogie when we have to....we beat loads from the bushes....we wine and dine dispatch and generally suck up...even if it means cheescake or pickles or donuts, yes, you heard that from me.....whatever it takes to get that next load...We don't play fair.....nice guys finish last in CVing...it is CVing at its best....

Actually I wasn't going anywhere with it. Was just curious.

My van is stickered at 8550 & 2855 for cargo and people. Have I exceeded, well..... What do you think? You've seen how my van is set up.

With the fuel spread between gas and diesel, the way I see it for payload capacity, repair & maintenance cost, Dennis's set is actually a better deal. Imho! :p

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your buddy needs to fight that ticket...trucks of all sizes have had the gvw altered for yrs..from little trucks to "glider kit" and everything in between...the "final stage manufacture installs the final build sticker on the body.. the door jam tag from the "truck chassis" manufacturer sayes, "incomplete" vehicle....all chassis manufactures have "upfitter body conversion specification" books that state the chassis needs to be finished to fall within the final specs. We even have a mmber here that has made application to become a "final stage manufacter so that he can bulid truck such as the Cargo max and "finish the manufacturing stage and place the "final stage' GVW sticker on the truck....It;s been done for yrs and every body company does it....

Marty, I think this was meant for you. I'm not sure, but I think it was.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually I wasn't going anywhere with it. Was just curious.

My van is stickered at 8550 & 2855 for cargo and people. Have I exceeded, well..... What do you think? You've seen how my van is set up.

With the fuel spread between gas and diesel, the way I see it for payload capacity, repair & maintenance cost, Dennis's set is actually a better deal. Imho! :p

Based on your GVW I guess you have a Sprinter? If so, what is your average MPG?

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
OVM, keep in mind, maintenance costs are on mine vs yours is different. For example a "B" service runs between $500 to $600 because on a "B" service the DEF system is flushed to get out any crap that could affect the system. Then they got a fill it. At $5 a liter vs $2.+ a gallon, the cost of that service gets up there. "B" is done every 20k miles. That sure drives up the operating costs per mile.

So, based on a cost of ownership per mile and being able to haul heavier freight without straining the equipment, imho, the cargomax SEEMS to be a better option.

Now with that said, reading some of maintenance and break down issues on this site and other sites about the cargo max because of being a gasser, i'm on the fence as to whether it's a wash or not.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
OVM, keep in mind, maintenance costs are on mine vs yours is different. For example a "B" service runs between $500 to $600 because on a "B" service the DEF system is flushed to get out any crap that could affect the system. Then they got a fill it. At $5 a liter vs $2.+ a gallon, the cost of that service gets up there. "B" is done every 20k miles. That sure drives up the operating costs per mile.

So, based on a cost of ownership per mile and being able to haul heavier freight without straining the equipment, imho, the cargomax SEEMS to be a better option.

Now with that said, reading some of maintenance and break down issues on this site and other sites about the cargo max because of being a gasser, i'm on the fence as to whether it's a wash or not.

That is where it almost always gets to at some point....its a toss up...some will go for the fuel mileage of the sprinter, some will go for the gasser...and some will spend all day stirring crap. It was a good race though....popcorn was good too :D

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
That is where it almost always gets to at some point....its a toss up...some will go for the fuel mileage of the sprinter, some will go for the gasser...and some will spend all day stirring crap. It was a good race though....popcorn was good too :D

Absolutely, :):beer: If I was gonna buy another I'd probably end up with an ulcer trying to figure it and still come out wrong.

I used to run 18 GMC Safari vans at a time in a service business I owned. I would rotate out 3 to 4 out a year. They had the V6 vortec motor. From day one would change all fluids to synthetic. At about 150 to 200k miles the only maintenance was rubber, batteries and tune ups.

Sure liked those little vans.