The Sprinter Wanna Be's

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everyone has to make the right decision for them. Posts like steadys can help people in that process.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Again, the milesage in the diesel vs the gas isn't an issue, i pizz more more on gas away every month running 2-300 empty to go to dinner.., id i was worried about mileage to the extent that i would consider a sprinter, id just get out of the business...:D

Do i track my mileage? sure i do and i am making efforts to improve it, but it certainly isn't an overwelming deal for me, it if was, i wouldn't have bought what i did....LOL....

Then there is rate that i get when Itake those 3500- 4000 lb loads..:D

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You rode with him for a while..:D...but the fact is, I certainly don't think for a minute i am going to get the mileae of a sprinter..and i never considered a sprinter when i bought my truck...and there is another 4 servings of chili mac 3 servings of 4 bones or smoked ribs and 3 3 cup servings of sheperds pie!!! :D

You are missing the point of my post. Nothing to do with weight class, my van is better than your van thingee. BTW, you get the same pay if you haul a 10 lb box or 4 skids at 4500 lbs.

I was comparing fuel cost. No you can not exspect to get the same fuel milage, that was not my point.

Everyone is so scared to buy a Sprinter due to this or that. My point was, why? So the wanna be's spend their repair cost for a Sprinter in fuel cost.

Be one with the Sprinter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are missing the point of my post. Nothing to do with weight class, my van is better than your van thingee. BTW, you get the same pay if you haul a 10 lb box or 4 skids at 4500 lbs.

I was comparing fuel cost. No you can not exspect to get the same fuel milage, that was not my point.

Everyone is so scared to buy a Sprinter due to this or that. My point was, why? So the wanna be's spend their repair cost for a Sprinter in fuel cost.

Be one with the Sprinter

Embrace the sprinter....:p

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Although a Ford or chevy can't touch a sprinter for gas mileage, I look at how expensive a Sprinter is to maintain, and the amount of maintenance they require.How expensive the parts are, as well as the parts availability and the downtime waiting for those parts.Or finding someone who knows how to work on them.Take Ziggi's van, for example.There is no reason for it taking that long to get it running, and it still doesnt! He is the last person that deserves this, and I commend him for being so patient through all of what he has gone through.We can learn form him, on how to deal with stress.So laid back, he is.Blood pressure must be near zero...lol..Yea, they ride nice, are big and roomy, quiet, awesome hvac system, and everything, but does it really pay off? I don't know.I often hear alot of Sprinter drivers say they are over-engineered.And I guess that is good for many reasons.But I like the simple, hassle free ownership of a Ford.Parts everywhere.Anybody can work on them.So, I guess it is more of a personal preference.Putting maintenance and the cost of ownership aside, nothing will come close to a Sprinter.

I think we need to distinguish between pre and post '06 models for Sprinters.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
eddie wrote:

BTW, you get the same pay if you haul a 10 lb box or 4 skids at 4500 lbs

LOL, if you believe that, LOL, then i have a nice piece of property to sell you...LOL, thats funny stuff right there....LOL..:D

And as i said, no one buying an american slop bucket gas powered van is thinking they will get the same mileage as a diesel sprinter...and you can say that "if you save the difference you can..." when the avgerage person isn't is going to save that money..LOL, we used that same BS when I sold trucks when i "leased a more expensive unit to a person that came into buy"..but in reality, it doesn't happen in most cases...But it sounds good...LOL...:D

Last edited:

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I guess that is why you have said "You have failed in all your business adventures"?

I am sorry for the title of this tread. I should not have used "Sprinter Wann Be's" I guess some took it the wrong way.... But I did not mean to Force it upon Y'all.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What tire pressure is everyone running? :confused:

70 all the wat around, but when i know i am going to run heavy, i bump the rears up to 75....but remember, that are not the factory 16 in light truck tires, they are med duty truck 17.5 tires..

its funny that this comes up today..brian at load 1 gave my phone # to a guy that has 2 sprinters, he wants to replace one of them with a Cargo max and he needs info on the chassis....hes tired of the expense of fixng the sprinter....

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
eddie wrote:

LOL, if you believe that, LOL, then i have a nice piece of property to sell you...LOL, thats funny stuff right there....LOL..:D

And as i said, no one buying an american slop bucket gas powered van is thinking they will get the same mileage as a diesel sprinter...and you can"..whou can say that "if you save the difference you can..." when the avgerage person isn't is going to save that money..LOL, we used that same BS when I sold truck when i "leased a more expensive unit to a person that came into buy"...lol it goods great, but in reality, it doesn't happen in most cases...

I think the point is some are scared away from the Sprinter due to maintenance. He was just showing a comparison on one major cost in that respect. He wasn't attacking anyone who makes a different choice.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
70 all the wat around, but when i know i am going to run heavy, i bump the rears up to 75....but remember, that are not the factor 16 in lught truck tires, they are med duty truck 17.5 tires..

its funny that this comes up today..brian at load 1 gave my phone # to a guy that has 2 sprinters, he wants to replace one of them with a Cargo max and he needs info on the chassis....hes tired of the expense of fixng the sprinter....

He needs new drivers...;)...sprinters at least 05/06 don't need repaired that often unless neglected...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
And I guess that is why you have said "You have failed in all your business adventures"?

I am sorry for the title of this tread. I should not have used "Sprinter Wann Be's" I guess some took it the wrong way.... But I did not mean to Force it upon Y'all.

xiggi wrote:

He was just showing a comparison on one major cost in that respect. He wasn't attacking anyone who makes a different choice.

Ahh you might go back and find those post about my business failures, I am pretty sure you will not find the word "ALL" in any of them....

And no you are not sorry for the title of the thread, it was put up there just as you wanted it...:D

and yes xiggi, he is, he made it quite clear in the title and when he stated his sprinter is better then my thingie...and then again when he stated "ALL" of my businessse have failed..but hey it is what it is....

So yea, from the title to to "smack' others choices to his bs statements to me..it was an attack right from the start..

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think the point is some are scared away from the Sprinter due to maintenance. He was just showing a comparison on one major cost in that respect. He wasn't attacking anyone who makes a different choice.

You need to read the original post again in that case. The title and the post are written with one intention and that is to stir up the people who drive something besides a Sprinter. I have no idea who he was talking to or what kind of vehicle they had and apparently he doesnt either. I can tell you this though, the numbers he is posting are not accurate to my Cargomax. Ive not seen 12mpg in a very long time. If I were running 70mph like this driver was and carrying some weight 2500-3000 lbs...I might get it down to 12, but I doubt it.

OVM is on record, on this site saying that the 07 and up Sprinters have lost their advantage. He has told me that on the phone many times. So good luck finding out what he actually believes.

The numbers and the claims in the OP are so off base and misrepresented that I'll let you guys figure this one out. Ive got a race to watch.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to read the original post again in that case. The title and the post are written with one intention and that is to stir up the people who drive something besides a Sprinter. I have no idea who he was talking to or what kind of vehicle they had and apparently he doesnt either. I can tell you this though, the numbers he is posting are not accurate to my Cargomax. Ive not seen 12mpg in a very long time. If I were running 70mph like this driver was and carrying some weight 2500-3000 lbs...I might get it down to 12, but I doubt it.

OVM is on record, on this site saying that the 07 and up Sprinters have lost their advantage. He has told me that on the phone many times. So good luck finding out what he actually believes.

The numbers and the claims in the OP are so off base and misrepresented that I'll let you guys figure this one out. Ive got a race to watch.

Based on fuel mileage..yes...I'd have to look long and hard as to WHY I'd buy a newer model sprinter...anywhere from 17 - 21 MPG as compared to 15 mpg to a cargomaxx approx....then taking the difference between the cost of gas and diesel...really takes any edge away from the sprinter.....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I think the thing that takes the sprinters edge especially the new ones is cost to maintain and replace parts and downtime doing so. Take fuel mileage out of the picture the American vans are better especially when anyone and their mama can work on them and any parts store has parts. But gotta love the room in an extended sprinter lol