Suggestions?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know that some in here have parked their truck and flown home to avoid a long DH or in an emergency.

Where did you park your truck? Did you have any problems? Would you do it again? Has anyone done this more than once?

With fuel back up around $3 per gallon flying from coast to coast might really work out if applied right.

Thanks in advance.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Never done it, but I think I would find a place that is fenced in. That way my truck wouldn't get damaged.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
why not call airport parking and see if they can help you out?

I am pretty sure it was ATeam that did it once..and there is a post from a few years ago around...that might say where they parked...maybe do a search of archives?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Alt of te Storage Rental places that are fenced in also have outside storage that is fenced ad secure......usually ypu pay a little bit more for short term use, but it's certainly cheaper then buyin fuel/gas for long trips....

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Alt of te Storage Rental places that are fenced in also have outside storage that is fenced ad secure......usually ypu pay a little bit more for short term use, but it's certainly cheaper then buyin fuel/gas for long trips....

I once had a situation where my son's car broke down in Las Vegas and his military unit was leaving the next day. We made contact with a local Police Department, and were given permission to have his vehicle taken to their impound lot when repaired. It was fenced in and very secure.
If they would allow this for a ST would depend on the room available if they allowed it. I have more than once asked permission to spend the night in a PD parking lot when uncomfortable with alternatives.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I flew to my sons for thanksgiving and home for Christmas it was cheaper than taking a crappy backhaul and both times i parked at park & fly off site parking at the airport it cost me $12.00 a day cheap enough

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the input. We are thinking about it flying home. We would have to DH from L.A. to Monroe, MI. Plane tickets are much less than the fuel for that drive not to mention the wear and tear and the 3 days.

guido4475

Not a Member
My freind flies home from Reno or Vegas to Pittsburgh. He uses Detroit Diesel or A trailer repair place to park,for free, and secured as well.He does it all the time.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Some of the freightliner dealers will let you leave it on there property but it is at your own risk.
In a true emergency FedEx Express at the airports might help you out. Call the location manager, explain the emergency and ask for permission. (I saw a couple do this when they had a near death in the family and the manager even gave them a ride to the passenger terminal.)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have no emergency this time, just a 2325 mile DH. The tickets are less than the fuel to run it. Other than the parking problem, security etc, the only other problem we can see is that we will be in L.A. when we get back. :(

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
On another forum I read the recommendation of parking at a moving and storage yard. (United, Atlas, etc.)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for all the input. We found a motel with a large lot, security, cameras and a night guard in the lot. The price includes 7 days free parking, 1 nights stay and shuttle to and from the airport. When you add up the cost of the tickets and the park and fly it comes to less than the fuel alone on that DH.

Now I just have to remember to be sure to never put myself into this position again. It was my own stupid mistake. I should know better than to come out west with only a 2 week time limit till a DR appointment.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
John O did it regularly from NV to NJ. I don't know where he parked but it was far less expensive from what he used to tell me not to mention all the extra time he had at home rather than driving. Good luck figuring it all out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo, I think he parked at one of the agents locations out there. Many LS agents have parking space. I don't know if a FedEx truck would be alright there, but you can ask.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
John parked at the TA, as several us do. At your own risk of course, but the price is right and a $10.00 cab to the airport.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
you could try the KNIGHT YARD on jurupa and etiwanda in ontario. It is fenced, guarded, and they rent spaces to outside companies. CLose to the airport too.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Cheaper yet might be to reschedule Dr. appointment, but I know you already thought of that and can't for what ever reason.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I know that some in here have parked their truck and flown home to avoid a long DH or in an emergency.

Where did you park your truck? Did you have any problems? Would you do it again? Has anyone done this more than once?

With fuel back up around $3 per gallon flying from coast to coast might really work out if applied right.

Thanks in advance.
When such would arise for our drivers/contractors, i'd look at other trucking companys or partner carriers, they usually have room, security, etc. Just left the camping machine in such a place for a week for a cruise. Have your dispatcher or owner do the requesting. It's usually more effective.

If your fedup dispatchers can't or won't git r done.....give me a buzz.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would have loved to have changed that appointment, but the VA is no very good about it. The next one available was in June. I really need the hearing aids. It is getting hard to hear.

I will keep better track of dates from now on. Don't want to make this stupid mistake again. We are staying at a Park n' Fly motel. It is $89 for the one night and includes 14 nights free parking. It also includes a ride to and from the airport. Their shuttle runs 24/7 on the hour and half.

Looking a the place it's clean and no gang signs. They have a night security guard. We will post the outcome when we get back.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout, I have a rather dumb question;

Seeing it is the VA, can't you go to any VA hospital?