my pay

bikerbudd

Seasoned Expediter
how do i collect my back pay from a bad febex cc owner? my last two pay checks bounced. can i report him to fedex or what?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You are going to have to work with your owner as FCC is not involved with Owner/Driver situations.

R

rangell218

im sorry to hear of another driver getting burnt i have been there before as have alot of drivers, but yes i would contact fedex and talk to everyone there from the top to the bottom, also you said you got payed by a check if it is no good file worthless chek charges the laws are different in many states, also get the word out to drivers that this owner does not pay only and i say this only put the word out if the reason he didnt pay you is do to something you did during your driving, i understand there are owners out there that are scum but there are good honest owners as well, but start making calls, and good luck

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think FedEx has a standing is this but maybe they should be aware that an owner is passing bad checks to drivers. I would be looking into what legal action I could take against this guy. I would also be looking into criminal action, passing bad checks. Good luck.
They are not all like that. I would guess that most are not. There are an equal amount of bad drivers out there that do "bad things" to owners too. There is a general lack of honesty anymore. What a shame. Layoutshooter

bikerbudd

Seasoned Expediter
thanks! i only drove for this guy for three wks with no problems. i got two checks last fri. i took the checks to his branch and was told the fund was unavalible. now he wont answer my calls.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
contact the state dept of labor in the state he lives in. they will go after him. depending on the amt involved they may pursue legal action otherwise you have to file suit.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
thanks! i only drove for this guy for three wks with no problems. i got two checks last fri. i took the checks to his branch and was told the fund was unavalible. now he wont answer my calls.

Go back to the bank and tell them you want to put the checks in their collection dept. They will take the checks and monotor his account. As soon as he has the funds available they will remove the funds and hold the cash for you. Do not let the owner know you are doing this or he might not put any more money in that account.

I have done this on several occasions and every time but once collected my money. On the one occasion that the person found out about me putting his check in for collection, he stoped payment on the check and I ended up having to collect through the courts, but that is time consuming.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
1st off the company that the guy was leased to wont help abit,you worked for their contractor,not them.depending on the size of the check,you might be able to press charges.In the 25 years that I've had drivers work with me,only twice I didnt pay someone for their work.Its just like you had some service work done,and they screwed things up ,you wouldnt pay them,in this case both these drivers left me out in the cold when I had high dollar loads to pick up,and as they were team loads,had to give them back,and in both cases they lost me more than their pays were going to be.I had one guy quit in the middle of a load,I even offered to pay him,but he said he didnt deserve it.But not paying is one thing,bouncing a check is another,thats criminal

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Everything you have already been told is right on. FedEx isn't liable at all. What he did is illegal and he can be taken to court. The bank collection dept will work to get your money, and the labor dept in most states will follow up but one added thing to look into is the state attoneys office also, he broke the lwas and depending on the amount , it could easily be a felony.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Having the guy arrested on a bad check should be done as a last resort, but if you do take that route and after you press charges do not for any reason drop the charges. Even if he pays you in full never drop them. In Ohio if you drop the charges you are guilty of compounding a felony.

My boss once did that in Fairborn, Ohio and the Judge became so hot my boss almost ended up in jail himself. If the man pays you off before court, just let the prosicutor know that you have been paid and no longer are interested in the case. The prosicutor will probably drop the charges and that lets you off the hook.

Most Sheriff's offices have a bad check squad and they will usually call the person who wrote the check and try to get it paid. In almost all cases, a call from the Sheriff will get you the cash.

Reactions: 1 person

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't think FedEx has a standing is this but maybe they should be aware that an owner is passing bad checks to drivers. I would be looking into what legal action I could take against this guy. I would also be looking into criminal action, passing bad checks. Good luck.
They are not all like that. I would guess that most are not. There are an equal amount of bad drivers out there that do "bad things" to owners too. There is a general lack of honesty anymore. What a shame. Layoutshooter

There is a lack of trust and honesty these days because there are no mediators. There should be a mediating company between the owner and the driver that extracts the drivers pay before the owner gets his settlement (provided the driver is fulfilling his end of the owner/driver contract). This would serve to eliminate the fear and distrust that owners and drivers have for one another. Look, even good "down to earth decent people" can do things that are dishonest and predatory. We need to have a way to hold owners and drivers accountable for their actions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Having the guy arrested on a bad check should be done as a last resort, but if you do take that route and after you press charges do not for any reason drop the charges. Even if he pays you in full never drop them. In Ohio if you drop the charges you are guilty of compounding a felony.

My boss once did that in Fairborn, Ohio and the Judge became so hot my boss almost ended up in jail himself. If the man pays you off before court, just let the prosicutor know that you have been paid and no longer are interested in the case. The prosicutor will probably drop the charges and that lets you off the hook.

Most Sheriff's offices have a bad check squad and they will usually call the person who wrote the check and try to get it paid. In almost all cases, a call from the Sheriff will get you the cash.

Late4dinner is giving you good advice. I did collections before I started driving over the road. Aslo what you can do is if you live by this owner and his bank you can call the bank each day to see if the funds are there. If you call and they are run to the bank and cash that check. Then send him a bill for your time having to try to get your money. In most States a ckeck over $500 the person can be charged with a Felony.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Owner located in Ohio? If so, PM me - I'll give you the contact info for my lawyer. Search for my previous post and you'll see what I went through.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The above is right on the money, The Company dont get involved or shouldnt nor should the safety end of the Company. Nor should the contract Cordinators.

There may be owners on here, however I will say this I pity any fool that ever tries to take whats rightfuly mine and not pay me.

Thats being polite.

Last edited:

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
What makes me laugh are the guys that quit out on the road and leave a truck or deadhead it home 1000 miles and expect to get full pay. I think those are the guys that complain about not getting paid the most. You really can't speak for another owner because you don't know what happened.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
[QUOTE i would contact fedex and talk to everyone there from the top to the bottom[/QUOTE]

The advice sounds good and I wish it was worth the effort but sadly (and I speak from first hand experience) FECC DOES NOT CARE!!! You are nothing but a driver that they have no ties to. Their only tie is to the owner whom the lease is with.

Sue them in small claims and possibly press criminal charges against them for check fraud. Teach the "B" a lesson!!! We did and never regreted it!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Look, even good "down to earth decent people" can do things that are dishonest and predatory.
No, not really ..... because at the point they do. they are no longer "good, down to earth decent people" ....... just dishonest predators ....

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
Another option you might have if you want to go that far is to put a lien on his equipment, that gets their attention.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Posting a "Lien" will vary from State to State on what type of Lien can be placed, the time frame before a Lien can be placed, the type of Lien, the Value of the Lien, so forth & so on.