Anyone ever lose a load because they had a pet in the truck with them?

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I lost a load the other day simply because I had my dog with me in the van. We're talking about a 15 lb. miniature pinscher..wow, BIG DOG!!!
I tried everything that I could think of to apease the shipper. First he said I couldn't take the 5 small boxes, totaling a whopping 150 lbs. because the dog had access to the cargo area. These boxes contained some kind of plastic bag material I assumed probably potato chip bags or something. Boxes were completely sealed.
I told him I'd tear the bed apart, cut up the plywood sheets to fit the walkway in the headache rack. That wasn't good enough. Then his excuse was there was webbing on the top 1 foot of the divider on the passenger side. I told him that the dog couldn't get into the cargo area (his original reason for not letting me take the load), it would be completely sealed off. Now that wasn't good enough. Then it went on and on about having a (un-opened) quart of motor oil in the back compartment, and a bottle of window cleaner......I even suggested that I would leave the bed the way it was and put the 5 boxes under the bed which would have also made them "dog proof". Nope, wouldn't do it. I finally gave up trying to please this guy, called dispatch and let them handle the situation.
This load was scheduled to go to Frito Lay plant in Topeka, Ks. Shipper said that Frito Lay was VERY picky on how thier cargo was shipped. I've can understand the consignee wanting their product kept "clean", but that was rediculous. Ended up with a dry run and headed to the house to unwind for a couple days...
Just curious if anyone else has run into this problem when they had their pet with them.

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
My dog stays at home so I have not run into this problem but I have delivered to several locations that prohibit any pets on their property. These were mainly food production locations but once at an aluminum plant there was a sign prohibiting pets. Since the atmosphere of the plant was not fit for man nor beast this was understandable. The bottom line however is that the shipper and consignee set the rules and your choice is to accept or decline their offer, based on their preferences. Its similar to a decision to make a permanent bunk in a van. You are increasing your comfort level while risking that you might miss out on loads that need the extra space. Everything has a trade off and you have to ask if the pleasure you receive from taking along your dog is worth missing out on some loads.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Suds, we are in a reefer straight truck so we haul pharmaceuticals. Some of those companies do not even allow pets on the property. I've waited outside their property in the past while hubby went in an got loaded.
We've also had some loads that the dog has to stay in his crate while we are on the property. Since the freight is completely separate from the living quarters, we've not had a load that we couldn't have a pet with us. So we haven't lost a load because of it.
I would imagine it was because the dog wasn't in a different compartment than the freight was.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
shipper should have made it known about "super" conditions on the delivering truck. if the commodit was "plastic bags" no one would know that there is a sanitary requirement also.

take a deep breath and let it out slowly.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have had notes of no dogs allowed, we have been to nuclear plants with no problem with dog and passenger, we have been to chemical plants where Molly was not allowed, and we have been to chemical plants where Molly went in and I had to stay out. We also picked up at one Chemical plant where no dogs where allowed on the property so I had to sit across the road. That was the funniest one!

As Pelicn mention the good thing about being team is I can stay outside with Molly while Bob goes inside. I just grab my lawn chair and a book and wait for Bob to come out. I usually get some funny looks.

99Tank

Seasoned Expediter
I remember a load that I did and when I got the the gate no passengers or animals were not allowed onsite. So as a solo I had to tie up my boy to the fence in the stage area and asked one of the other drivers waiting to keep and eye on him while I was loaded. My biggest concern was pulling out to find my pooch had found a new home...lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've had a handful of loads where I would have lost them if I had a pet with me. Mostly food and food related shipments, but also a couple of chemical shipments. Pet dander can be a problem which can contaminate and entire processing plant. Dogs licking the sides of the barrels containing food flavoring can be a problem.

It's not that many loads where you'll run into problems. Usually Dispatch should be aware of it before you are even dispatched on the load. But if not, don't sweat it. It ain't that big a deal.

Shipper said that Frito Lay was VERY picky on how thier cargo was shipped. I've can understand the consignee wanting their product kept "clean", but that was rediculous.
Naa. It's a Zionist Kosher Tax conspiracy thing. lol

A while back Mintel (the leading consumer, media and marketing research company) did one of their in-depth surveys about Kosher as an inexpensive marketing tool, and many manufacturers took note. When Nabisco went Kosher with their Oreo cookies back in 1997, I think), sales increased nearly 12%, and it has sustained that increase. Nabisco now has more than 60% of the Kosher certified cookie market, putting quite a cramp in the sales of traditional Kosher cookies, not to mention snapping up sales from traditional Kosher ethnic food stores.

Frito Lay has found that the same product marketed as Kosher will outsell the same exact product in the same exact market that is not labeled Kosher, by more than 15%. Frito Lay gets more than 65% of their sales from Kosher certified brands. In order to certified it Kosher, strict guidelines in the manufacture and shipment of all ingredients and finished products, including the containers they are shipped and sold in, must be adhered to. That means no pets.

Hey, there's an example of business experience in the foodservice industry that can actually be applied to expediting. :D

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I have been told a few times my dog couldn't go on the property. Then I would pull out her cable and tell the guard to watch her while I loaded. That is if the wife wasn't with me. Most of them were more than happy to. Especially when they seen how friendly Baby Girl was. At first they would think of all the pit bull rumors and get a little nervous, but once they realized all she wanted was to be petted for a second they took a sigh of relief.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I don't have a pet with me, but I was shipping a dog once (got it off uship for extra fuel money) and I stopped in at a shipper to pick up an LTL and they told me that I wasn't allowed to take the freight with a pet in the vehicle. I showed the paperwork on the dog, basically making a case for it being "freight" and not a pet, and then showed the guy how the dog's cage was in my sleeper and there is a bulkhead wall separating the cargo area. He gave in at that point.

Anyone else ever grab stuff off uship? It can be a pain most of the time, but occasionally you can find things on there. A lot of people need to ship dogs and cats and it can be a good way to cover some of your fuel costs.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Charles, many upon many, wouldn't even consider putting forth that effort to advance their position. The "don't wanna" is in effect and alive out there.

Jes like the original poster. It's all bout choices. Chose da mutt. Or, chose da load.

My problem wiff it is, it appears he actually got paid (dry run). Sad!!

Tom911

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe you should have told the shipper that the dog was not your pet, but a service dog and you needed him to help you while you was driving because you were blind.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Bolt Express knows I have two dogs who travel with me and make their offers to me accordingly. At Orientation back in March we were told General Motors said no dogs on Property. Three times I have picked up & delivered to & from GM plants, they only said keep them up front while on our property.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Whenever I am asked to watch my daughter's Laborador Retreiver I dress up Rocky in a kid's suit complete with hat and sunglasses. When going through the gate I simply tell the guard, "Sorry my partner wasn't able to get a shave this week, we have been very busy."

On a lighter note:

Suds probably is leased to a real company that is willing to honor its "Lease Agreement"; hence, he was paid accordingly.

When the carrier does not provide the correct information then the burden of responsibility should fall to them.

Conversely, if Suds had a "Service failure" in route a transfer fee might have come from his pocket.

You see....real business is a "Two-Way" street.

guido4475

Not a Member
I've had a handful of loads where I would have lost them if I had a pet with me. Mostly food and food related shipments, but also a couple of chemical shipments. Pet dander can be a problem which can contaminate and entire processing plant. Dogs licking the sides of the barrels containing food flavoring can be a problem.

It's not that many loads where you'll run into problems. Usually Dispatch should be aware of it before you are even dispatched on the load. But if not, don't sweat it. It ain't that big a deal.

Naa. It's a Zionist Kosher Tax conspiracy thing. lol

A while back Mintel (the leading consumer, media and marketing research company) did one of their in-depth surveys about Kosher as an inexpensive marketing tool, and many manufacturers took note. When Nabisco went Kosher with their Oreo cookies back in 1997, I think), sales increased nearly 12%, and it has sustained that increase. Nabisco now has more than 60% of the Kosher certified cookie market, putting quite a cramp in the sales of traditional Kosher cookies, not to mention snapping up sales from traditional Kosher ethnic food stores.

Frito Lay has found that the same product marketed as Kosher will outsell the same exact product in the same exact market that is not labeled Kosher, by more than 15%. Frito Lay gets more than 65% of their sales from Kosher certified brands. In order to certified it Kosher, strict guidelines in the manufacture and shipment of all ingredients and finished products, including the containers they are shipped and sold in, must be adhered to. That means no pets.

Hey, there's an example of business experience in the foodservice industry that can actually be applied to expediting. :D
thank you for all of that. i will sleep better at night knowing this.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nope Never lost a load like that as I dont have any animals,

wait I take that back.

I did have a co driver that ran his mouth at every chance he could get to shippers and Consignee.

He even told BG Ive fought to long and to hard Im not changing my ways.

Well BG was mad as you know what but after 1 year of putting up with his mouth for BG I said NO MORE.

Now as far as loosing a load to another Company, Just about but no cigar.

Ya Mcallester IPM Rest my case I came so close to loosing a shipment because first it was suppose to pu on a monday then bumbed to a Tue. What the deal was Mcalaster could do it cheaper. Well I showed up early and was 30 min ahead of their truck and 1 hour early to my Pickup time needless to say They were going to canx me but I ended up getting the load.

One other occasiion I Dead Headed 1200 miles for a load and it canx when I got in the gate. How mad was I well what is a guy going to do and all its worth is a dry run and a -75.

On the Subject of Animals

I dont know how anyone can have a dog that sheds in side a truck. Hair all over not to mention the missed bathroom accidents ect. Poodles now they dont shed like other dogs.
I couldnt deal with a dog.

But I do have one and He goes running with me but he is at home. (150LB shepard)

When I was a kid back in the 60 and 70 I had coon dogs and coyoute dogs.

Any way any one who is in WG cant have an animal in there Truck.
A The Mouth from the south Co Driver was enough.
Sorry Charlie.

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Some of the airports we pickup and deliver to DON"T allow pets on-board for safety reasons, even though we are only going to the maintenance hangers. Our carrier does not have a pet policy, but who wants to loose a good load over our pet? What we do now requires that we be together as it takes both of us to tarp engines,etc

When we were with FECC we showed up at a shipper only to be told my wife (Co-driver/business partner) would have to wait outside the gate, alone in the dark, at the end of a long road in the woods. Their rule was only one driver is allowed on the property.

Well my answer was "Not no, hell no!!!" They were also told if they wanted their HOT freight loaded, it was a team or nothing, and I wasn't the least bit afraid to leave empty!

Reactions: Casper0418

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
When we were with FECC we showed up at a shipper only to be told my wife (Co-driver/business partner) would have to wait outside the gate, alone in the dark, at the end of a long road in the woods.

That would have been a good time to have a dog along!!!

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
When I drove for the two-headed cat, I accepted a load p/u at a chemical plant. The acceptance info said, no pets, but it wasn't in original load offer. They knew I had my cat, so the load cancelled. Even though I was moving toward the load when it cancelled, I was not paid for a dry run.
Just one adventure after another ;)