Definition:

1. sarcastic: very sarcastic and intended to mock, offend, or belittle somebody

2. corrosive: corrosive or burning by chemical action

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
where'd you get the 500,000 from? Lifetime of the van?

I dunno, jes pulled it outa my azz I guess. I'd tink a heavy 1 ton without some fool driving it, and a bit of pre-emtive maintenance one should go the distance. (jes my $.02)

If not then, realistically what do they attain? I dunno, never tried one (yet).

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A-Rex,

We've actually got more options for someone like yourself (as stated) than the ad to which you are referring is oriented/focused --when it comes to Tractors.

If you'd like to be grossing between $1200 -1750 (and possibly more), in a tractor per week after all other expenses (power unit, phys dam, OCCACC, NTL, fuel, fixed tractor payment, variable maintenance accrual), I encourage you to give me a call at 336.529.4247 on Monday, say between 10 and 12 (have customer appointments in the PM) so I can understand more about your objectives in order to identify the proper program for your personal preferences.

Regarding our FSC pertaining to the ad, it's pegged at @ $1.20 and graduates every $.06 of weekly DOENA escalation. Feedback we have accumulated over the years has average MPG at 6.0 - 7.0/gallon (going to fluctuate widely due to weights, maintenance, aerodynamics, idling mgmt., etc.), so our escalation ratio is fixed at the minimum of the range...of course.

We can discuss further on Monday, and I do look forward to the conversation and possibly meeting you in person!

Kind regards,

William Gansman

Monday?? Seems we are loosing a couple days here.

bgansman

Seasoned Expediter
A-Rex,

I look forward to speaking with you on Monday. If what I outlined in previous posts is the least bit attractive to you, and assuming you have a Class A with HM endorsement (or serious commitment to acquire), then please submit an application on our website over the weekend so I can properly evaluate and prepare for a serious discussion on Monday.

After you have submitted the app, please email me ([email protected]), and I will immediately review in concert with our Recruiting/Compliance group first thing Monday AM to properly prepare for the 10 - 12 slot. You obviously have a lot of experience - I see your posts on EO all the time...

We do appreciate your interest in ASE and what we may be able to do together GROWING FORWARD...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Lets just say that a prospect has a window of opportunity and is located just around the corner from a Carrier location. Prospect is delivering Saturday morning and reloading Sunday afternoon. I guess the nine to fivers by five days will always wonder what happened. So sad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At a later date I'll or Turtle can crunch some numbers and just show how far .88 a mile will take some one...

I thought executive recruiting on EO was discussed at the TEANNA conference when John was critized for his appearance on EO and accused of the same? (behind the scenes of course) Just saying... :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets just say that a prospect has a window of opportunity and is located just around the corner from a Carrier location. Prospect is delivering Saturday morning and reloading Sunday afternoon. I guess the nine to fivers by five days will always wonder what happened. So sad.

And yet they think .88 will allow us O/O's to have the same luxury? 9-5 with weekends off....Lets try 168 hour work week for 4-6 weeks at a stretch for about 5-700 bucks a week...see how they'd like it...:rolleyes:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No need to take my comments personally there William. They only appeared in this thread because that is where the rate comments originated.

Probably time for another reality check.
The reality is for any one that has been expediting for a good period of time knows that vans were consistently running for over a dollar a mile. Currently, there are numerous carriers that have drivers running at .85 cents per mile plus FSC. That is a reality.
I know you come from the recruiting side based on your few posts here. I would probably be one of the wrong ones to song and dance on rates because I see them from a variety of sources on a daily basis. Feel free to review previous posts for those comments,

The reality on van freight is that many carriers reduced their rates, while at the same time, individual load volumes increased as well as the weight per shipment. To some degree, I think the introduction of the Sprinter opened the door to that.
So it turned into "more for less" essentially.

One could talk all day on what is "a exceptional" rate. Regardless of the vehicle size, operating expenses are considerably higher than years past yet the rates retreated.
That is reality. Thus my opinion on how I view that .77 a mile.
Have you checked fuel prices lately?

I could easily run my straight trucks for under a buck a mile. They are paid for so it is very doable.
BUT.........that is much different than whether I think it is profitable or prudent.
Every so often, carriers tend to confuse those two.
I hope I brought you up to speed.

SAS

Expert Expediter
Everyone posting has made valid points and the intel is greatly valued. Creating buzz topic discussions is always true to turn ones mind to thinking about the inners and outers of an organization. This is precisely why they are done, forum (open type), closed roomed, etc.etc.. Any ideas ASE takes away from this thread will be accretive to our continuous growth and sustainability in the market. Thank you all for your input and please come by and see me, would love to meet you in person, especially you Dave C., fleet owners do well here.

Now a little bit of education in respect to the comments made on cheap rates and this volume stuff.

Dave C. you were right in saying carriers adjusted their rates for all types of equipment downward, which in turn forced an adjustment on the scale downward to O/O drivers as well. Trust me when I say this, I like it no more than the rest of you, but it is a reality we currently face, and with the economy not adjusting fast enough and the new CSA2010 coming, don't expect anything better anytime soon. The DOT is putting a lot of emphasis on commercial trucks, and yes, they have now discovered vans. I wouldn't be surprised if regulations that are currently in place on vehicles of 10,000 gvw and up, aren't made to apply for vans in the future. You guys cross state lines with commodoties and goods everyday just about, and that is being looked at currently in Washington, trust me when I say this. We live in different times now since 911 and the landscape has severly changed and will probably never return. We are under and live with constant potential threats to our great nation. I love this country, coming from the world of the Special Forces, I am pretty passionate when it is mentioned in the news of some yahoo thinking we are the enemy because we live in a prosperous society. Shame on him/her. Now, done with the rambling, the rates mentioned were adjusted because we as time critical beings, faced a much bigger being, Truckload guys, Swift, Hunt, US Express, etc. etc., they drove our rates down because shippers decided to put your freight on the tail of their trucks, along with the expansion of LTL terminals, and save those big expedite rates. If we had not made a move, you would all be driving in state for local courier companies. This time critical industry is ever changing and will continue to do so. The transportation industry is going to more consolidation and regionalization. The railroads are being funded heavily to put more freight there, just look at all those Hunt, UPS, etc. etc. Trailers on the flatbeds of trains now days. I totally get and understand your *****, but the volume reality is upon us. ASE and each of you must ban together for a smarter work initiative to combat the hurdles that lie ahead. Yes, we are always looking for ways to get more money in your pocket, even if our margins shrink, that is fine, I can live with that, will have to have a larger fleet to make money in volume, like WalMart and Southwest Airlines does. Volume is a proven business model that works. But, ASE and it's competitors cannot do it without each of you, yes we can survive just fine, become a logisitics entity, you all get your own authority, and we as companies broker freight to you. But that cuts the line of loyalty and bond that brings company and driver together currently. We must work in callaboration and find a common ground of acceptance that profitizes to everyone.

My line at the office is always open, 336-423-5845, email, [email protected]. Let me here from you, come by and talk with me, no strings attached. John Elliot, love you big guy, I know you are being inspired right now, keep up the good work at L-1.

Dave C., when you or if you ever look for another home for your trucks, give us a call, let us see what we can do for you.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Everyone posting has made valid points and the intel is greatly valued. Creating buzz topic discussions is always true to turn ones mind to thinking about the inners and outers of an organization. This is precisely why they are done, forum (open type), closed roomed, etc.etc.. Any ideas ASE takes away from this thread will be accretive to our continuous growth and sustainability in the market. Thank you all for your input and please come by and see me, would love to meet you in person, especially you Dave C., fleet owners do well here.

Now a little bit of education in respect to the comments made on cheap rates and this volume stuff.

Dave C. you were right in saying carriers adjusted their rates for all types of equipment downward, which in turn forced an adjustment on the scale downward to O/O drivers as well. Trust me when I say this, I like it no more than the rest of you, but it is a reality we currently face, and with the economy not adjusting fast enough and the new CSA2010 coming, don't expect anything better anytime soon. The DOT is putting a lot of emphasis on commercial trucks, and yes, they have now discovered vans. I wouldn't be surprised if regulations that are currently in place on vehicles of 10,000 gvw and up, aren't made to apply for vans in the future. You guys cross state lines with commodoties and goods everyday just about, and that is being looked at currently in Washington, trust me when I say this. We live in different times now since 911 and the landscape has severly changed and will probably never return. We are under and live with constant potential threats to our great nation. I love this country, coming from the world of the Special Forces, I am pretty passionate when it is mentioned in the news of some yahoo thinking we are the enemy because we live in a prosperous society. Shame on him/her. Now, done with the rambling, the rates mentioned were adjusted because we as time critical beings, faced a much bigger being, Truckload guys, Swift, Hunt, US Express, etc. etc., they drove our rates down because shippers decided to put your freight on the tail of their trucks, along with the expansion of LTL terminals, and save those big expedite rates. If we had not made a move, you would all be driving in state for local courier companies. This time critical industry is ever changing and will continue to do so. The transportation industry is going to more consolidation and regionalization. The railroads are being funded heavily to put more freight there, just look at all those Hunt, UPS, etc. etc. Trailers on the flatbeds of trains now days. I totally get and understand your *****, but the volume reality is upon us. ASE and each of you must ban together for a smarter work initiative to combat the hurdles that lie ahead. Yes, we are always looking for ways to get more money in your pocket, even if our margins shrink, that is fine, I can live with that, will have to have a larger fleet to make money in volume, like WalMart and Southwest Airlines does. Volume is a proven business model that works. But, ASE and it's competitors cannot do it without each of you, yes we can survive just fine, become a logisitics entity, you all get your own authority, and we as companies broker freight to you. But that cuts the line of loyalty and bond that brings company and driver together currently. We must work in callaboration and find a common ground of acceptance that profitizes to everyone.

My line at the office is always open, 336-423-5845, email, [email protected]. Let me here from you, come by and talk with me, no strings attached. John Elliot, love you big guy, I know you are being inspired right now, keep up the good work at L-1.

Dave C., when you or if you ever look for another home for your trucks, give us a call, let us see what we can do for you.

I understand that you are a recruiter and you sound like a recruiter. The only problem is that this forum is not about recruiting. You will find here drivers or o/o or fleet owners who know more about this industry than you will ever know. So try to not sell the fact that 85 cents per mile including fuel is a great rate. Or a 11 cents per mile is a great fuel surcharge. Because trust us, it'ss NOT. Dave made a point here ,anything under $1 per mile for a cargo van is cheap. I understand your company policy that you can't give more for the drivers or owners but please do not makes from this a pride. For example I run my cargo vans over 90 -95 cents per mile. Lot of times over one $ per mile. The problem is that a lot of times brokers underbid each others. In conclusion we all know where you are coming from, it is your business how much you pay per miles but please don't try to sell us crap.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Spencer

I think you are spot on with regards to the cargo vans. Just a matter of how it will be implemented. Will we see a fully credentialed CDL holder delivering that next pizza? Nothing would surprise me if Washington thinks they can regulate it.

I do have a somewhat different take on the CVA2010. That being I think it is and will create a driver shortage through the industry. We are currently seeing that happen and I believe that will slowly drive the rates up. Just a supply and demand issue.
Finding and retaining the qualified driver will likely change the recruiting landscape.
How fast that happens and in what increments remains to be seen. As you know, when the rates retreated, it opened the door to many more independents. I think that trend will continue and it might very well evolve into carriers essentially turning into just brokers or logistical centers.

Lastly, I appreciate the invite and welcome conversations on the industry. We always keep a open door as no one knows what the future will be. The difficulty with many expedite business models is as a fleet owner, one has no control with regards to freight or the rates. We paid the price for that many years ago, and had to adjust accordingly.
That was educational for us. :D
We like the access our carrier provides to many accounts, as well as the ability to broker and set our own rates on freight we do ourselves. Those opportunities are somewhat limited in the current climate. If that changes, then we would find a suitable partner that could accommodate us, or fire up our own authority and become a competitor.
Thanks for a thoughtful response.

BTW.......weather is great in both TN & FL today!

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wonder what this is all about.

A lot of carriers seem to be loading vans without flat rate, and will continue to do so and making money doing it. It is not a slam on any specific carrier but my opinion.

I don't see the threat of the DOT looming on the horizon either because maybe no one noticed, they can't kill off the industry. CSA 2010 isn't the problem, logging is. CSA 2010 isn't the problem, licensing is. CSA 2010 is a method to identify the problems and fix them but it is a system that doesn't address the problem when it should be addressed. If it did, a lot of people and carriers would be really upset with the tightening up of testing/licensing and so on, which would make them scream even more. For those who think life is so hard, they may not remember what carriers went through to be a carrier or for that matter what other industries went through to be in business. We live in simpler times, no matter how you try to justify how bad it is, it really is not.

I don't get this one, it seems nothing has to do with 9/11 here in this industry, it has to do with progress of technology and opening up doors to more people so they can access the same things that only were exclusive to a few in the past. The more who can access load boards, access fleet management software and access great communications has advantages over those who don't take advantage of it and are now equal to the large carriers but what it now does is force people to use better management skills, believe me a lot of that is lacking all over the place in a number of carrier. Sure we now have more safeguards, more requirements to do some stuff and the bigger issue isn't with what we have to do to qualify but the scattered requirements used for each purpose (FAST/TWIC/HAZMAT) and how being scattered is a real issue for carrier and driver alike. If we really had a changed world, then Vans would not be even allowed. They are in fact a cause of two terrorist attacks, where we have not had a single truck used. The logic is simple, vans bad, trucks good.

Technology is amazing. We are a truly mobile society where we don't need to worry about a tether to get or give information. The idea that any one can become a broker, sign up for a few websites and make money is as amazing as it is damaging. It opens the door for competition, not just a little of it but a lot of it. One reason why I think a lot of companies use flat rate is that they can control their 'sales' without a lot of skill - that revolving door isn't just about drivers. Technology that many don't see is also amazing. John at Load-1 may understand this part - it is cheap now. With a lot of packages bundled, small amount of configuration needed and the use of a standard conductivity path, using software in house is no longer a costly business expense.

We in this country have to return to the old ways of doing some things, using rail has allowed us to move forward by moving backward in a sense. The original model used was rail provided the city to city transportation and the truck provided the intercity delivery transportation. It worked, but unlike other countries, ours ran a muck with incentives to help one industry while punishing another. We are now seeing a reversal of that of sorts but still there is plenty of work for all.

SAS

Expert Expediter
Dave C. and Greg, good replies. Mike 99, look at me signature, I am not a recruiter, I actually own the company. I am not trying to recruit, if the program we offer is good, then trucks will come automatically. We are looking and evaluating constantly our program and value the input of our drivers and abroad. Healthy rates on short runs allow for companies to increase a drivers pay, if the company operates on a sliding scale payment plan to their respective drivers. We guarantee our rates no matter our rate to a client. If our margins go to 0, then so be it. It is not a standard of practice, but we do that because we want retention and hate fleet replenishment. Also, I do know companies pay higher rates for sprinters vs. regular half to one ton type vans. Also, if a fleet owner has multiple units on with a company, they can command a better rate per mile. There are multiple factors that go in to pay rates, a drivers vehicle paid for which in fact does increase his/her pay vs. a driver who has a mortgage on the vehicle, which decreases his/her earnings drastically. What about a percentage pay vs. a line haul rate? I know there has been talks of non-transparency as to the carriers rate, but my belief is a system like that is good if the carrier supplies the driver the true cost to the client. Also, with more increases in technology may allow a carrier to shrink their SG&A which in turn could funnel more income to the trucks. We all know the significant costs in running each of our respective operations, companies, fleets of trucks, down to the individual operating unit. With the constant rise in fuel under the control of our dependencies of foreign oils, insurance costs (constantly increasing due to investor return demands), and other factors that go into transportation, we will always be working to adjust to the new and adhering to the evolving changes within this great industry. Manufacturers will always be looking at their supply chains and reducing the costs of transportation spend, especially the expedites, they are huge costs for them and could potentially be eliminated with better practices within their inventory control systems, not to forget, the constant development and implementation of marketplace driven 3pl's and their intent to get everyone on a competitive playing field. There is one of if not the biggest driver of rate deterioration. Understand and let's not be blinded to the fact that yes, with capacity decreasing rates can and may come up, but, the big truckload carriers are aggressively buying up excess trucks, buying competitors and building a massive network of fleets to basically corner the market and gain more control. They can move the freight at cheaper prices and they can provide the capacity that could wipe out the need for many expediters to exist. Now, being smart business individuals, how do we combat that? We may be forced to adjust the way we do business and provide a more competitive rate. We cannot be trapped into thinking manufacturers need us because we are expediters and we come from the old school. That is out the window, and we must embrace the fact we live in a different society, yes 911 changed a lot of things for us. It is bigger now than manufacturers needing expediters, there is WallStreet play in this now and foreign monies, service can be somewhat sacrificed for inflated profits. People who invest in the manufacturer want healthy returns. Manufacturing knows if you don't haul it, someone will at the rates they are looking for from a transportation provider. Transportation has become a commodity now and it will not change. This is the unfortunate but the reality of it. If we don't play the game and act as good team players, we get kicked off the team. Again, it is what it is. We know our service is a powerful thing and we would like to believe we are needed, but are we really? There has been a huge influx in foreign presence with driving trucks, nothing wrong with that, but these drivers will run for less which could force a shift in transportation. Less and less young people want to drive trucks for a living, they are wanting to go to college and they seek the glamour jobs. They choose a career in transportation but not driving a truck, but working in the office behind the scenes. In all, we have to work on making what we have better and protect our existence and remain positive.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would have to say Load1 has the best rates for cargo vans and sprinters hands down. A company like All State Express can't even hold a candle to Panther, Load1 or Express 1. When a company owner comes on here and states that .77 a mile plus FSC is a fair rate for cargo vans and Sprinters. I want to know what this person is thinking or smoking. When I started in 1995 a most cargo vans got $1.03 to 1.10 per mile for loads over 300 miles. Fuel was less than a dollar a mile and there was no FSC either. Now your asking a driver to run at .77 mile plus fsc, which is less per mile than it was 17 years ago. Then you want them to pay higher prices at the fuel pump and still run cheap freight.

Why don't you cut the companies part that you get from customer. You said that keeping drives on with the company is your top thing. Then rates your rates

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
When a company owner comes on here and states that .77 a mile plus FSC is a fair rate for cargo vans and Sprinters. I want to know what this person is thinking or smoking.
I thought that's what Panther was paying.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I dunno, jes pulled it outa my azz I guess. I'd tink a heavy 1 ton without some fool driving it, and a bit of pre-emtive maintenance one should go the distance. (jes my $.02)

If not then, realistically what do they attain? I dunno, never tried one (yet).
I drove one for an owner that had 469,000 on it, but you'd never know it. It was a Chevy 3500 Express, and he didn't take particularly good care of it. Used just a little more fuel than it should, but not much.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A company like All State Express can't even hold a candle to Panther, Load1 or Express 1.
Why don't you cut the companies part that you get from customer. You said that keeping drives on with the company is your top thing. Then rates your rates
You are sadly mistaken when you say that ASE can't hold a candle to Panther and Express 1. Panther's new contract for cargo vans is 70 CPM, plus maybe a 15 cent fixed weekly surcharge. That equates to around 85 cents per mile, which is 3 cents cheaper than what ASE pays their contractors. Express 1's linehaul rate for all "major accounts" which is most of the accounts that they have is currently 70 cpm plus a 10 to 15 cent weekly fixed fuel surcharge, still pennies cheaper than what ASE pays their cargo van O/O's.

Maybe Load 1 pays a really good rate "because they have some higher paying customers" which is great, but ASE is right on par with what most companies are paying these days. The only way to get really good rates as a cargo van O/O is to get your own authroity and book your own loads. ASE is a pretty top knotch company and as the CEO stated they will still pay 88 CPM to their contractors even if they book the load at 88.5 cents per mile. So what's the problem? We are all big boys here. If a driver decides to go to work for a carrier that pays a fixed rate, that is their decision and they will have to adjust their business model accordingly.

Also, i'm sick of hearing about the old days. Te old days are long gone. I used to make over a dollar a mile at panther back in 2006. I used to get 30 CPM fuel surcharges on top of a 77 cent per mile line haul rate. Those days are long gone. You guys are a bit hypocritical also. How can you expect overpaid Ford, Chrysler, and GM workers to take a pay cut if you are also unwilling to take a pay cut? Any monkey with half a brain can drive a truck and deliver loads on time "we're not doctors and lawyers out here you know.!" We can't expect the make the mad amount of money that drivers used to make in the roberts days when the cat is out of the bag.

There are just too many companies out there and simply too many people jumping into the business these days. The lines between expedited freight and general freight have been blured. This is just a sign of the times and if it does not fit your expectations as an expediter, there is always a garbage truck that needs to be driven, a pizza that needs to be delivered, or a curier package that needs to be run across town for 7 bucks a pop!

Hey Mike, where are you getting loads for 95 cents a mile as a leased on guy? Just wondering. That seems like a pretty high rate to be paid on a consistant basis for someone who does not have their own authority.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
I thought so as well .77 at Panther, and isn't Express-1 cheaper, something about a dime was taken away from their rates awhile ago.. with a FSC of .1196 per loaded mile? What I read from past driver posts....Correct if wrong.....some posts have been deleted when I went back to confirm. Threads as well....

Why are so many beating up on ASE???

The man makes a valid point....transportation is a commodity, and commodities are driven by the forces of supply and demand.....and from what I see as far as CV's out here on the road and at Truckstops.....There is a boat load of Supply/capacity when it comes to CV's. Plus, nobody is forcing any driver to drive a van....any business is only going to pay exactly as much ( liitle ) as it has too, to retain services...and the less specialized one is, the lower the pay....that is reality.

Run Safe
A-Rex

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rex dude, we are not any commodity, we are part of a service chain. We are not a value either until we are needed to preform as a capacity provider.

When we provide capacity, it fulfills the needs of the customer, not the needs of the carrier.

By saying we are a commodity, we are now all equal without quantifying the costs to us.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Rex dude, we are not any commodity, we are part of a service chain. We are not a value either until we are needed to preform as a capacity provider.

When we provide capacity, it fulfills the needs of the customer, not the needs of the carrier.

By saying we are a commodity, we are now all equal without quantifying the costs to us.

Well, as an O/O...I thought the owners main customer was that whom he/she has a contract with. Would that not be the carrier? And a leased driver's main comcern is to service the carrier's customers at the agreed upon terms of the contract?

I may be a company driver, but I am my own biz in my mine, and my job is to take care of my company whom's job it is to take care of their customers. My fiduciary is to my carrier first, and to present their interest to their customers as best as I can.

Not all commodities are equal....all have their place and need/desirability. If we are asigning value...than a T/T Team is more valuable than a solo T/T...Team ST more than Solo, then Sprinter and finally a CV....

commodity
Definition
com·mod·i·ty[ kə móddətee ]com·mod·i·ties Plural

NOUN
1. traded item: an item that is bought and sold, especially an unprocessed material
2. useful thing: something that people value or find useful

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.