Wow! Stuck in Texas for 3 days, gotta refuse loads down here from now on.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Blizzard has it right. Days before a holiday are sizzling. Loads across country with and backups to boot. On a side note, TX was certainly good to us this week. Four loads in four loads out with no waiting except one that picks up Tuesday to the east coast. :)

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should have mentioned we are in a van. We did get a run from Houston to Alabama on the third night. Enroute, we were offered a pre dispatch to..... you guessed it, Laredo. Since it was a Sat-Sunday load and because they begged, we gave in and took it. They also mentioned a chance at a nice rebound load. Sure enough we were pre dispatched from Laredo to Watertown, NY to pick up a few hours after our delivery. But we got a call later that the NY run cancelled so here we are again in the Laredo cesspool for the holiday. Tomorrow I am going to have Stupid tattoo'd on my forehead. We will stay until Tuesday morning and they just start driving North. (that's if we wait that long)

I still won't run for 70 cents at all, not even to relocate. That is just rewarding the companies and allowing them the right to sell you for cheap to the next John that walks past. I spent a lot for these 5 inch heels and silk hot pants and will not go on stroll for just anyone. (just kidding about the heels and hot pants)

Anyway, everyone had good input and I respect all of you (some more than others). We have gone out of service for now. Be ready to go sometime soon.

Everyone here is important to Expediting and brings a value that is second to none. We provide a service that is both necessary and valuable. Don't forget who you are and why you started doing this.

Oh, and my wife wants everyone to know that she did not write this.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I should have mentioned we are in a van. We did get a run from Houston to Alabama on the third night. Enroute, we were offered a pre dispatch to..... you guessed it, Laredo. Since it was a Sat-Sunday load and because they begged, we gave in and took it. They also mentioned a chance at a nice rebound load. Sure enough we were pre dispatched from Laredo to Watertown, NY to pick up a few hours after our delivery. But we got a call later that the NY run cancelled so here we are again in the Laredo cesspool for the holiday. Tomorrow I am going to have Stupid tattoo'd on my forehead. We will stay until Tuesday morning and they just start driving North. (that's if we wait that long)

I would stay in service since you have almost no chance of getting a load over the holiday. That keeps your dwell time going to make sure you don't get bumped down by someone that relocated or if you decide to relocate you end up at the top. I would consider waiting longer than Tuesday since the week of a holiday is usually a little slower so you may relocate and just sit anyway, I would give it until at least Thursday afternoon. I would hold off on the tattoo for now, unless you are going into Laredo cheap.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would stay in service since you have almost no chance of getting a load over the holiday. That keeps your dwell time going to make sure you don't get bumped down by someone that relocated or if you decide to relocate you end up at the top. I would consider waiting longer than Tuesday since the week of a holiday is usually a little slower so you may relocate and just sit anyway, I would give it until at least Thursday afternoon. I would hold off on the tattoo for now, unless you are going into Laredo cheap.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

We always go out of service when we are going to have a margarita with dinner. We don't want to get a call for a drug test after we have had a drink. We will take a chance on the dwell time, we are the only team in Texas at this time. We would rather be somewhere we enjoy sitting than to be sitting in this area. It cost us about $100 to drive 400 miles so we take that into account and just keep driving until we find nirvana or what ever we are looking for. Some times its just to sit on the beach and watch the waves beat the sand up.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I went to Texas about a month ago the week before Cinco de Mayo. I was teaming with a friend to help him out and we got stuck down there 3 and a half days before finally getting a load from Del Rio, TX to Bolingbrook, IL. We dropped the first load Tues afternoon and weren't loaded until Saturday afternoon.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got to Dallas Monday am and got several bad offers at .55 cents to 75 cents. .

For 55 cents no way, but for 65 I'd do it rather than waiting a week. Laredo became a pain in the beep, as well as down in the Valley, but El Paso was always ok for me.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
For 55 cents no way, but for 65 I'd do it rather than waiting a week. Laredo became a pain in the beep, as well as down in the Valley, but El Paso was always ok for me.

Lol...so 55 cents/mile would be out of the question, but you would run it for 65 cents/mile? I guess that IS almost a 20% increase...lol. Gotta look on the bright side?

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You know I really didn't pay any attention to who the carrier was that was offering that great rate..but since i know who the OP is leased to, i should have paid more attention...looks like the Fed is getting to the point that they just are looking at the bottom line and not thinking too much about there contractors in the CV segment..just as they did to the "special" ST units....

And for anyone to run out of Texas for $.65 a mile....well...more power to you...LOL, i once told a dispatcher for my previous carrier that beore I would take that kind of rate id "cut the tires, abandon the van and let border jumps move in to it"....

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If you're a van running for three different carriers, there is a good chance that all 3 are quoting that load out, which means that you just created a false supply in the industry and shot your own rate out from under yourself.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't know. 55 cents for the fuel surcharge seems pretty decent.:cool:

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reason you are getting offered is because others before you have taken that and LESS...
Shippers are expecting them rates.....

Now just generalizing here....not all multiple carriers run cheap....years ago before they showed up on the scene...it was unheard of to run that cheap....the flood of unbranded cargo vans has dirtied the water....
If you can run that cheap out of Laredo, why not Chicago or Indy, Detroit?....

If you are not part of the problem, you could be part of the solution....

fastrod

Expert Expediter
looks like the Fed is getting to the point that they just are looking at the bottom line and not thinking too much about there contractors in the CV segment

Since Bolt Express offers these same rates or lower I guess the same thing could be said about them.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Since Bolt Express offers these same rates or lower I guess the same thing could be said about them.

Mmmm..speaking of Fed Ex and Bolt in the same sentence about low rates...LOL, you said it not me...I ain't goin to touch that one...:D

fastrod

Expert Expediter
The reason you are getting offered is because others before you have taken that and LESS...
Shippers are expecting them rates.....

Now just generalizing here....not all multiple carriers run cheap....years ago before they showed up on the scene...it was unheard of to run that cheap....the flood of unbranded cargo vans has dirtied the water....

Then how is it that Load 1 can pay over a buck a mile and the large branded carriers can only get enough to pay .50 or .60 cpm? I think it is because these large branded carriers know that if they leave their cargo vans set a day or two they will take a cheap rate load. And the carrier pockets more money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then how is it that Load 1 can pay over a buck a mile and the large branded carriers can only get enough to pay .50 or .60 cpm? I think it is because these large branded carriers know that if they leave their cargo vans set a day or two they will take a cheap rate load. And the carrier pockets more money.
Flat rated carriers, the drivers are quaranteed their rate...
simply we wait it out..when all the cheapees get their loads we get ours at our rate....
also alot of them independents and multi-carrier guys don't do Canada....so when a load comes up it's our turn to the dance...:)

Going to do a no-no...,my load the other day.Laredo to Windsor paid $1.37 a mile.....and it was a CV load....now who is getting screwed over?....

Last edited:

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Mmmm..speaking of Fed Ex and Bolt in the same sentence about low rates...LOL, you said it not me...I ain't goin to touch that one...:D

Remember when Fedex van drivers could make $1.20 to $1.40 per mile all the time on a percentage contract. Now there on a fixed rate of .85 cpm, just a little above Panthers rate. Wonder why that is.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
do you really think, dispatchers, recruiters, operation managers, CEO's have gone 5 years without a raise?.....Like CV'er's have....???? and why IS that?.....maybe because some guys are taking that .60 cent load...hmmmmm.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya know we might be the lowest on the food chain, we CV'ers but some have to take their head out of their arse's and think better of themselves or we'll always be thought of as bottom feeders....have some pride men...make them shippers pay a fair rate....

fastrod

Expert Expediter
also alot of them independents and multi-carrier guys don't do Canada....so when a load comes up it's our turn to the dance...:)

Going to do a no-no...,my load the other day.Laredo to Windsor paid $1.37 a mile.....and it was a CV load....now who is getting screwed over?....

Yea but Bolt, Fedex and Panther can do Canada and their all offering rates in the .50 to .65cpm range to get out of there. I think all these carriers are getting good rates, it is just that Load 1 pays you fairly while these other carriers are giving their vanners a shaftin.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol...so 55 cents/mile would be out of the question, but you would run it for 65 cents/mile? I guess that IS almost a 20% increase...lol. Gotta look on the bright side?

Would ya rather wait a whole week or maybe more instead of leaving same day and going to a better area? Well, now it depends how much you are paid now, but for my $.85 it's not a huge difference.