Wow! Stuck in Texas for 3 days, gotta refuse loads down here from now on.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I was at bolt for almost 4 yrs, I did every well there and there are more then a few that I knw that did and still do do well there, but there are more then a few that dont also..If you let them, they will pay you as little as they can get away with..it is up to each O/O to handle their relationship with them individually and and not let them beat you to death with cheap rates...give them an open window and they will make it a door...

I didn't leave because i didn't do well there, I left because i knew i wasn't going to make much more and Load 1would more then surpass what i was making there..Bolt with the exception of a few situations, treated me great and i still refer people to Anne and Mark...especially if you are new and need to learn the business..they are great at training you the right way to do things on running your business and making good decisions, but yea they will under cut you on pay, given the chance...just don't give thm the opportunity and you will be fine....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I 'm tired, but this thread makes me smile. The rates i'm willing to run for are the same , whether i'm in Detroit, chicago, Laredo, or BISON S.D. I have never been offerred the low ball rates that some seem to have received or said they did. But then again I don't accept ever load offer that comes my way, regardless of most of the time the rate is close to $ 1.00 a loaded mile, every load offer I get is a business decission on more about where load is picking up and delivering to. NO is in my vacabulary.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was at bolt for almost 4 yrs, I did every well there and there are more then a few that I knw that did and still do do well there, but there are more then a few that dont also..If you let them, they will pay you as little as they can get away with..it is up to each O/O to handle their relationship with them individually and and not let them beat you to death with cheap rates...give them an open window and they will make it a door...

I believe the teamwork orientation at Load 1 is inherently superior to the adversarial attitude of carriers like Bolt. [Plus, I'd rather drive than argue, especially when the argument constitutes a gamble - I don't enjoy gambling with my livelihood.]
To each his own.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I 'm tired, but this thread makes me smile. The rates i'm willing to run for are the same , whether i'm in Detroit, chicago, Laredo, or BISON S.D. I have never been offerred the low ball rates that some seem to have received or said they did. But then again I don't accept ever load offer that comes my way, regardless of most of the time the rate is close to $ 1.00 a loaded mile, every load offer I get is a business decission on more about where load is picking up and delivering to. NO is in my vacabulary.

The last 3 weeks after the new motor...

8713 Loaded miles...1154 DH = approx 13%

The plus is, I did not have to burn rubber to do it or drive like a manic and tear the truck up....had about 5 days layover in them 21 days...
In 3 short weeks I've managed to recoup the base cost of the engine!

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The last 3 weeks after the new motor...

8713 Loaded miles...1154 DH = approx 13%
The plus is, I did not have to burn rubber to do it or drive like a manic and tear the truck up....had about 5 days layover in them 21 days...
In 3 short weeks I've managed to recoup the base cost of the engine!

And you call me "Dispatches Pet"!!!! "D

You got me in that same time frame, but i did just fine and while the 1st quarter was good, the the 1st 2 mouths of this one are better...now with that bein said, June and July will kick my butt with all the time off i'll be taking...but, such is life....:D

Last edited by a moderator:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And you call me "Dispatches Pet"!!!! "D

You got me in that same time frame, but i did just fine and while the 1st quarter was good, the the 1st 2 mouths of this one are better...now with that bein said, June and July will kick my butt with all the time off i'll be taking...but, such is life....:D

LOL....;)

A mere .20 a loaded mile over 100k a year = $20,000, or over 2 yrs is $40,000 which is equal to a new van/sprinter every 2 yrs.

What could most do with an extra $20,000 a year?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL....;)

A mere .20 a loaded mile over 100k a year = $20,000, or over 2 yrs is $40,000 which is equal to a new van/sprinter every 2 yrs.

What could most do with an extra $20,000 a year?

LOL, hows that old song go...oh yea, "you got to love the one you're leased to!!!" Yea thats it!! :D

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, you guys have had to much sleep. I just listen to my wife on how much she put into savings and how she has plans for rest on Home updates . My thing is if Wife is very happy , I'm happy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol, you guys have had to much sleep. I just listen to my wife on how much she put into savings and how she has plans for rest on Home updates . My thing is if Wife is very happy , I'm happy.

That is what counts....quality of life...the pursuit of happiness....:)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter

If mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy....:eek: Good Job!!!! :D

djhtom53

Active Expediter
Guess i am confussed, is everyone that is getting stuck in TX or getting cheap freight all running under your own authority?? Or are you leased to expediter companies?? We are leased to a company and we NEVER NEVER have any trouble getting out of any part of TX, and since we are leased we are getting paid the same rate as always, so if the company is taking less money for a load, then they are lossing because we still get our rate. I have never set in TX longer then a few hours and gotten loaded. Even when we had or have 6 or 7 trucks (straight trucks), vans or expidter vans setting in Laredo. We drive a straight truck.
So just curious as to what the situations are and why the setting or low rates.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thread was started by a O/O that is leased to a major carrier in a van...everyone that has posted for the most part are in vans...ST's usually move just fine out of TX...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guess i am confussed, is everyone that is getting stuck in TX or getting cheap freight all running under your own authority?? Or are you leased to expediter companies?? We are leased to a company and we NEVER NEVER have any trouble getting out of any part of TX, and since we are leased we are getting paid the same rate as always, so if the company is taking less money for a load, then they are lossing because we still get our rate. I have never set in TX longer then a few hours and gotten loaded. Even when we had or have 6 or 7 trucks (straight trucks), vans or expidter vans setting in Laredo. We drive a straight truck.
So just curious as to what the situations are and why the setting or low rates.

So, what's the secret? ;)
Now I'm stuck in Laredo... been already for 24 hrs and it looks like I gonna spend the whole weekend down here... :(

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
So, what's the secret? ;)
Now I'm stuck in Laredo... been already for 24 hrs and it looks like I gonna spend the whole weekend down here... :(

Eat the 300 or so miles and go to baytown TX I was out of there with in 12 to 24 hr

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I think if you go back in this thread and read or it might be in another thread on the same topic...if you unload in the bordertowns on Thrusday, chances are pretty good you will be there all weekend..yea fri can be good, and a good load planeer will pull a load every now and then on a sat. and, beyond that, chances are good you will be there Monday too.

Freight coming into Texas from mexico that clears customs on Thrus & Fri sits sat because most of the border town workers don't work sat or sun. so come Monday, the fri clears logistics and gets marked for shipping, that takes up Mon, then come tues freight will strat to move..Tues not bad, Weds and Thrus are good fri slows down and then you start again....

If people can't live with that, as was pointed out, eat the DH and move on your own dime...but personally, id hang there, I enjoy the food and there are good places to stay and eat!!! but then again, by carrier pays me to sit and wait...or pays for my empty move, if i dont move on my own dime, but i rarely move from Laredo unless i am loaded...its always good to me...