Wow! Stuck in Texas for 3 days, gotta refuse loads down here from now on.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got to Dallas Monday am and got several bad offers at .55 cents to 75 cents. Finally got an offer picking up in Houston for today and it turned out we could not take it so we are now still stuck in Texas but now in Houston where little freight has been shipped the last 3 weeks. Gotta quit coming to Texas any more. I would think they would have plenty of freight out of here but I guess not. Who would have thunk! Texans must not make anything. (at least nothing anyone wants in a hurry) Our expediting world keeps getting smaller and smaller. Guess we have a week off without pay. At least last week was good.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Last time we were in Dallas we didn't get a load for 4 days. Had to DH to Tennessee to find some freight.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
There's freight there, just that there is a perception that it's hard to get out, so you have all the lowball bidding.

Which brings me to another pet peeve I have. You can have 20 vans sitting in Laredo and at least that much freight moving out of there on a given day, but people bid those loads down so ridiculously low that you might as well dh out, but you can have 5 times as many vans sitting in a midwestern city that might not have as favorable a ratio of freight per trucks, but the rates won't be as low. There is no need for the rates to be as low as they are given the ratio of loads to available vehicles, but when people have a misguided idea that "you just can't get out of ______", then every load out of ______ always ends up going way cheaper than it needs to.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Let's say you took that .75 cent load to a better area. I see that

1. You would have relocated to another area with better paying freight opportunities.

2. You would't be spending dollars to layover.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If nobody would haul .75 cent loads there would be no 75 cent loads. It's time to stop this insanity.

Kristi

Active Expediter
We're headed into McKinney TX which is north of Dallas. We're hoping for a load out of there tomorow however should that not happen we will be moving our truck up into OKC. We have friends and family up there and that's our home base. Haven't been home since the middle of March.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Let's say you took that .75 cent load to a better area. I see that

1. You would have relocated to another area with better paying freight opportunities.

2. You would't be spending dollars to layover.

Let's also say that the area you're in has plenty of freight opportunities, only that people have a misconception that freight is bad there and everyone bids low, while in reality there are probably as many loads as available units on a given day. I think that's a problem.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The other issue when you see rates like that is the ratio isn't what you think it is. You have quite a few nameless carriers taking more than one load to get out. With the "double dipping" going on it gives you a false sense of that load ratio.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I'm also assuming everyone here is talking about van freight. There is plenty of straight truck freight in and out of TX. We've had no trouble moving straights out of there, but I don't want to send vans anywhere near that state.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
There is all kinds of freight coming out of Texas..some cheap some not..i dropped in Pharr monday at 0900..sat for 34 hours and was dispatched to KC at over $1.10 a mile...Carriers have O/O's / drivers believing everything coming out of Texas has to be cheap, not so....but if they can get you to take, all the better for them....

Now that being said, wow, 3 whole days!!! Come on going into Texas most always pays good, anyone in this business more then 3 days knowes its a game getting out..but if you hold out you will get the good paying load out....but 3 days....look at this...freight coming up from Mexico hits customs monday AM..takes a day to clear to get to logistics..then a day for logistics to setup routing ..its weds...Weds and Thrus are normally every good days in the border towns...but sitting 3 days in texas after a good paying load going in and then getting a good paying load going out..isn't really that bad....

Chances are i would have turned down the $.75 a mile load also (well no i wouldn't have because my carrier would have never offered it to me) but it thats what your carrier offered, as was pointed out, wherewas it taking you? How much is it costing you to sit?

As for you not going back to Texas, I appreciate that..I really do..just one more unit that my carrier won't have tp deal with being there and the chances of me getting out faster just got better.....The Carrier makes all the difference in the world....now, if you can get me out of KC, I'd appreciate that also...:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think some carriers are playing games....in Jan....Laredo was swapped with vans...50 cent loads were flying out of there...this week not many vans there....some were STILL being offered 50 cent crap... all us Load 1ers got out for over a $1.00...

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive been stuck in the Dallas Ft Worth area but since I lived there back in the 70s I find things to do, Like visit the Great assortment of BBQ restaurants, like North Main BBQ on North Main St In Euless TX, This place has won so many awards they dont have much room for them, only open on weekends if you find yourself stuck in the Dallas area try it. Its a Buffet style restaurant but man Its the best BBQ and its a JOINT, in an old Gas station, but well worth a visit....we used to go thru there and buy like 10-12 lbs of Brisket and eat pretty well on our trips back and forth from Tejas to St Lou...

I tried all week to get out this week but after three days of Insurance issues and then I go to pick up my brand new Truck they tell me it had not been inspected and wasnt ready, so Friday they deliver the truck, and Monday I head to Michigan. I dont mind sitting but if I have a chance Ill relocate, Its seems worth the money to get back under the freight.

Brand spanking new International 4300 with the Fuller Autoshift, it will be home for about 6 months...the truck still had the factory wrappers, and 504 miles on the odo....nice truck, power everything, Sat Radio, looking forward to knockin out some miles very soon.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I operate under one of my golden rules, nothing west of the Mississippi River! This one has severed me well, for it seems when I break it I take in the shorts.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, you 'll never see me in Laredo again , the last 4 times down there it almost took 24 hours to get loaded out and the least pay was .95 a mile in my tuna can with a branded company.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea Please take Texas out of your Atlas...my last 3 loads have been into Texas, out of there and I just loaded to go back...all within 5 days. less then 3000 miles and just over $3300 ...yea, please don't go back...:D

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am still shaking my head about the whole 3 days thing...a WHOLE 3 days....my gawd, how terrible...imagine that, an expediter has to wait a whole 3 days...:rolleyes: