Whats the longest you've ever sat?? And where was it???

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
8 Days in south Texas....when I was fairly new at this.....never sit more than 24 hours now unless it is weekend. Moving on my own dime has never not paid off.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe I should of worded that differently.Yes, there are some that are moving and doing quite well. Take OVM,for example.The freightmaster.I guess it is all where you may land and who is there.

I have a friend who works for panther in a cargo van and he has gotten over five thousand paid miles this month. It all depends on what company you're with and whether or not you have a lucky streak.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I drove CV as an O/O, so had a little more leeway on the income/expense ratio, with no owner to split with. Nevertheless, if I went to Laredo or Dallas, I'd sit only 24 hours (usually needed 8 of them for sleep anyway), play a little golf (always took my golf bag along, got more than one load while on the course), then dead-headed on my own dime to a better freight area. If I emptied late Friday or Sat. AM, I wouldn't even wait 24 hours.....just rest up and then leave right away, using the weekend slow time to get moved to a better board and get on it ahead of those who were going to unload on Mon morning. A lot of work, a little play, worked for me for six years.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe I should of worded that differently.Yes, there are some that are moving and doing quite well. Take OVM,for example.The freightmaster.I guess it is all where you may land and who is there.

Freightmaster? *LOL* No... don't you know, I have a crystal ball I consult..and it works pretty well...:D

A little light goes off in my head that says Stay/Move...:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought you had one of those magic "8" ball doohickies. You know, you flip it upside down and the little joober doober floats up and one says "take the run" or "don't take the run" or "your sprinter needs a new tire" :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought you had one of those magic "8" ball doohickies. You know, you flip it upside down and the little joober doober floats up and one says "take the run" or "don't take the run" or "your sprinter needs a new tire" :D

You got one of them too? *L*:D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
To move or not to move.

That is the question.

Whether it be nobler to sit in the van and wait,

or deathead to pick up another load.

Tis it not my fate.

To stay and party with ones friends,

or to find a load and make amends.

Undecided here I sit,

hopefully a long load on monday shall I get.

Maybe this will help the expediter gods theow y'all a few loads on monday.

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido,
Hey I understand what you're getting at.

But it seems to me when someone comes here and asked the question, it worries me that they don't get this is a business first and not a vacation. It doesn't matter if he is young, I know a lot of very young people who know how to run things to make money. Neither can I applaud him for having a positive attitude and don't intend to beat up on the OP, he doesn't deserve that. But I do give him credit about asking, now it matters if he takes the advice and learns.

I would venture to guess that if a company gives such poor service to the contractor, they may be giving equally poor service to the customer and it is time to move on. Maybe it is the reason he is sitting, the company itself is a problem in as much as that their hopes are pinned on bidding on loads to get him out while trying to maintain a margin they feel they have to have at the same time but losing out of a chance to move the guy. That is poor management regardless how you cut it, the contractor is an asset, a tool that you use and the contractor may need to be moved at a loss to create more revenue - understand?

Telling him to look at other companies is not telling him to play company hopscotch but rather looking at it in a more practical way to run a business other than screaming "We have the FREEDOM to sit if we like to".

I wish I could figure out how to highlight just certain areas of a reply.But anyway, Now that I think about it,It may sound and seem like Tjp Ohio is making the same mistake as I did with Polly in a van.I loved working for them, and in a s/t I made the most revenue ever since 1989,and they were good people to work for.But when I went into a van I was the first cargo van they had leased on, so that left us both in unchartered waters.My faithfull ness cost me alot of lost revenue this past summmer by not leaving and signing on to another company.The problem was, they would pay me extremly well,, most loads at or above a dollar a mile, when everyone else was at less than that, so It was hard to get a load for me, and when I did, I sat.I wish I would of left sooner, for money's sake.I learned my lesson.

I think alot of companies are not paying for empty moves as much this quarter because of the slowdown, traditionally.I think they are watching their money as much if not more than we are.I just moved up here in Dallas From Houston, after taking OVM's advice and see where he is coming from.On my own dime.Not regrettingly.But I am really considering not coming to Texas in the future because of how funny it can become down here for freight.Hot or cold, it is weird.

guido4475

Not a Member
Freightmaster? *LOL* No... don't you know, I have a crystal ball I consult..and it works pretty well...:D

A little light goes off in my head that says Stay/Move...:p

Remember the movie "The Beastmaster?" where this guy can look at an animal or wave his hand and it does as he thinks? I'm getting the feeling that is the way it is with you and your dispatch..LOL.I just don't hope you wear the same type of shorts that guy did, a little too revealing. But Tina Turner looked pretty good in hers....That's all I have to say about that..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Empty moves PAID for in a van? Almost unheard of for a long while now...it had to be a real bad area at that even...straights get all the breaks...

I really hope the move pays off for you...one thing about this biz...what you can't see doesn't hurt you..as in what load MIGHT have come up in Houston because you'll never know..it is all a guessing game and just playing that gut feeling...Most of the time my mind is made up even before I unload that I'll be cutting and running...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Use to have these problems many years ago. Find someone were you can obtain your own freight or get your own authority.
For all the time and waiting/moving around, you could have found a load and been long gone. If a carrier can't find a load in three weeks out of the valley I think I would be looking somewhere else.
Quite frankly, a carrier that takes that long to find a load, (assuming your not turning down legit offers) shouldn't be in business anyway.
Just my penny in the pond.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Was at home for 6 weeks once,of course truck was in shop after a head on wreck with a 4 wheeler outside of Baton Rouge,and Oh Ya,had cataract surgery,home 6 weeks for that too.
The only way I'd sit that long in Laredo, is if I got paid to sit there,or were you playing in Boys Town

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope No playing in BoysTown for me...Im not that type of guy...:D But Lets Hope and Pray I get outta here on Monday....!!!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
tjp you are in trouble with the owner? i would think the owner would want his van moving to make money. he should be raising the roof with his contacts at where ever the van is contracted.

joe, ya want a magic 8 ball?

Ask the Magic Eight Ball

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nope No playing in BoysTown for me...Im not that type of guy...:D But Lets Hope and Pray I get outta here on Monday....!!!

I went to boys town once in 2002. It wasn't too bad down there. A lot of nice ladies and cold beer. The only thing that bothered me was the extreme poverty that I saw on the streets. I gave this homeless beger 5 dollars and he did the sign of the cross in front of me and said it was enough money to feed his kids for a few days.

fortwayne

Not a Member
All I can say if you have actually sat 3-weeks in Laredo then there are some serious serious issues with your carrier/company.
Also, lets just say you are spending $15 per day in food - that's over $250 in expenses - - - - and I would start to question why the heck are you just sitting there for?
What are you waiting for?
You never ever recoup that $250 worth of expenses - you are digging YOURSELF deeper into a hole by waiting for your inept carrier to pull a rabbit out of their hat!
Sorry to be so rude - but any carrier who can not get you out of Laredo in 3-weeks is inept and should be taken out back and beaten with a spiked item of some sort............
Every carrier I have worked for (5) have always got me out of Laredo within 2-days and my current carrier has never had me sit even for one day - UNLESS I decided to take that day off.........now I am going to a border city in Texas (not Laredo either) so I will see how they do on this one, but, something tells me I will drop late Monday evening and they will have me running again bright and early Tuesday morning......need to get back to Fort Wayne for the Super Bowl next Sunday!
Maybe its time to change carriers and stop wasting your time waiting for your carrier to perform a miracle...... things happen for a reason and maybe this is your time for a change for the better.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Hmmm well earlie this last year in the first quarter I sat for 2 weeks on the Fort Wayne, IN Board for about 2 weeks with no luck... I was so broke and depressed at that time I could not afford to move to a better area.... man it was bad at that point I ended up moving home.... do you all remember how slow it was at that time