What's fair and equitable

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your words were " I don't hide anything" I'm twisting nothing. If your drivers are happy and your turnover low that's great. It would never be for me but that makes no difference.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Your words were " I don't hide anything" I'm twisting nothing. If your drivers are happy and your turnover low that's great. It would never be for me but that makes no difference.

zigzag Never is a long time are you sure you mean it that way. it wasn't that many years ago your company was never heard of and things can change in the blink of an eye. or a stroke of the pen

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
zigzag Never is a long time are you sure you mean it that way. it wasn't that many years ago your company was never heard of and things can change in the blink of an eye. or a stroke of the pen

Crutch I have other options besides driving. But yes never say never is a good policy.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
What's so bad about getting paid a daily rate? You're lucky if you can make $100 a day in a regular non driving job.

Please explain further, though, how your daily rate pay differs/is better than 60/40 pay or 40/60 pay?

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Cliff? Are you still there Cliff???

I am always curious what happens when a newbie comes on here and asks for help then they don't participate in the conversation or thank anyone for the advice. :confused:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Crich: I have no intention of leaving Load 1 - I like the boss, the dispatchers, the 'culture', even the Sprinter guys are ok, lol.

I'd be happy to drive for you on those 1 or 2 days when you'd pay my rate, though - call me when you get the freight. ;)

Ok smarty I got your day rate plus fuel meet me in mobile, AL this Friday 9/13 anytime between 8-3 my cell (618)943-0949 I pay on pick-up call me when your there be rested its a NJ if you must know the load pays me $3750 you asked for 1 k you got it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At least you aren't hiding the fact that you are intentionally taking advantage of other people's ignorance. I can certainly see why you wouldn't like a 60/40 split at all.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
At least you aren't hiding the fact that you are intentionally taking advantage of other people's ignorance. I can certainly see why you wouldn't like a 60/40 split at all.
If that load picks up Friday and delivers Monday isn't that two days at $1000 a day plus fuel paid.
That's not bad. That's darn good about 1.66 a mile at 1200 mi. And no fuel to buy.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
If that load picks up Friday and delivers Monday isn't that two days at $1000 a day plus fuel paid.
That's not bad. That's darn good about 1.66 a mile at 1200 mi. And no fuel to buy.

No at her day rate of 1 k per day she gets the the load puts it on her truck goes direct to the drop can unload 24/7 doesn't have to be there till wed but I got a few vans sitting around pa so she will swap into one of my vans that I will drop at delivery till unload she would be back in service for her company within 24 hrs. the load takes 18 hours 5 in to load less than 30 to unload. either way she will have 24 hrs that gives her a 4 or 5 hour nap

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
No at her day rate of 1 k per day she gets the the load puts it on her truck goes direct to the drop can unload 24/7 doesn't have to be there till wed but I got a few vans sitting around pa so she will swap into one of my vans that I will drop at delivery till unload she would be back in service for her company within 24 hrs. the load takes 18 hours 5 in to load less than 30 to unload. either way she will have 24 hrs that gives her a 4 or 5 hour nap

But if she drove exclusive for me then I would pay her 2k for the day to get back home plus her fuel home. but have no doubt her carrier could get her a load out of north east

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok smarty I got your day rate plus fuel meet me in mobile, AL this Friday 9/13 anytime between 8-3 my cell (618)943-0949 I pay on pick-up call me when your there be rested its a NJ if you must know the load pays me $3750 you asked for 1 k you got it.

Waaah - I can't be in Mobile Fri! I mean, I could, but I wouldn't be rested - I'm on my way to Wisconsin now for delivery tomorrow.
Seriously: I 'preciate the offer, but you need to find someone who can do it for you, cause I can't, and I don't drive for anyone other than Load 1 now. I thought you knew I was just kidding - guess I should have asked for more money, lol. :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can't stop laughing. In one breath he will pay $1000 a day and in another his new people that he screws over get $50 a day because that is what they ask for.
Yep...my BS meter pegged awhile ago. 3.50 a mile for a van load from AL to NJ.:rolleyes:
Not even on your best day.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

How is he taking advantage of other people's ignorance? If people don't know what their time is worth on a daily basis then they get what they deserve. I think he is being very fair. You tell him what you need to run and if he's got enough in the load he pays you what you are asking and you have no other expenses. How is that unfair or taking advantage of anybody? As a driver I think that if you received at least 250 a day every day under load ( hours permitting), you would be making above average wages for the industry. How is that taking advantage of anybody? If you were a P&D driver (not courier) you would most likely be getting paid by the hour regardless of what the company is making.

The only caveat I would add would be that you would also have to pay me that 250 a day even if I was deadheading or being asked to relocate to a potentially better freight area at the companies request, even if it only took me a couple of hours to get there. A daily rate is a daily rate. 10-4?

I could see how that would be appealing to a lot of drivers from a stability point of view provided of course that there is a stable and steady freight flow to go along with it.

I think the only people in this industry that are getting taken advantage of are the ones getting paid by the mile.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say based on what is posted the people at the higher "daily number" wouldn't be working much. Why would they if you have people that as posted, will do a daily rate of $50.00 for the same load or same time period.
Who is kidding who?
In a nutshell....this is "who will haul this load the cheapest for me".
No need to complicate the simple.

Last edited:

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your right Dave, there is no need to complicate the simple, and the simple fact is you know as well as I do that that's the way the industry works now. He's really not proposing anything new. I wouldn't work for 50 a day but some might. Just like some might take that .30 cent a mile load to get out of a dead area. No different really. As you say, no need to complicate the simple.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ok Dave, And that's different from the way the industry works now, how???

In some circles yes, and some I would say no.
Bad practices by some of the industry doesn't mean it is a practice that all should follow.

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
True. I lose 2-3 dozen loads a day because I'm not the absolute cheapest. I think many of the loads I get are mainly because I know the brokers. Speaking only of posted loads, of course. I still content that dispatchers ARE actually human and will almost always gravitate toward the bids that gain them the most pats in the back.
Or bonuses.
Or company paid lunches.
Etc.