What's fair and equitable

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
the funny part dave is you thinking that unless the name on the side of the truck is panther or fed ex then it must be impossible to gross over 200 with a straight. 30k per month I think that's doable with a team as far as gross numbers go running freight from 1.50-3.00 should be simple enough.

Ummm....no I wouldn't say that. I would probably throw Landstar in there as well for a single leased operator. I would say you can get to those numbers if you broker your own loads, but of course that carries much more costs and madness to operate. Ask me how I know.:rolleyes: Part of the reason that I am leased to Panther.
I will give you a pass since you don't realize I have brokered alot of freight over the years. Including loads to members here at EO.

But outside of that, I look for consistency in revenue. Any one can find a good load on occassion. The reality is a leased operator at a small carrier isn't likely to hit 200k with frequency. Just a reality. If they did....well you guessed it, they wouldn't be small any more. Some will talk a good game, but the actual reality is in the numbers.

200k is possible, but outside of those carriers....a rarity. 300k isn't going to happen in a straight. Even a reefer/straight doesn't typically pull that kind of revenue and they have access to loads that a small carrier doesn't even qualify for.
But I guess it is ok for some to dream.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
did not know that as thinking she was in a van 1 k per day for a straight would be a piece of cake

O - you thought I could [and would] drive 18 hrs direct for $1000? Not in this lifetime! As one of my fellow drivers said: I could be a hooker, but never a lot lizard. [Or something like that] ;)
I've become quite a fan of the 'drive less, make more' philosophy, finding it much better for the truck and me than the Laredo- direct-to-Detroit run.
And I can vouch for the old guy [ducking!] DaveKC found a load for me once, years ago, when no one else could. He IS that good - ignore him at your own risk.
I wish you luck in your efforts, I think your heart's in the right place, at least.

mpeak68

Rookie Expediter
40 percent of the net is not fair,or do you mean 40 percent of Gross?

40 percent of the net. i pay fuel,tolls and everything else. Not sure what you would expect,most drivers do not want to pay fuel. 40% of 6000 a week seems pretty fair to them

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You probably mean 40% of the gross.
Gross would mean total earnings.
Net would be earnings minus fuel, toll, insurance, other deductions,
You problem give them 40% of gross and then you cover all expenses.
That would be pretty standard.