What's fair and equitable

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
A 60% split or 40% split can vary from run to run a flat daily fee never changes. fuel prices go up or down a flat rate never changes. when you deliver if you sit at the truck stop for 3 days 60% of nothing is nothing. and if you have to relocate your going to spend money you already earned so you don't really get to always keep 60% correct? flat rates are better you don't have to figure nothing. flat rate drivers don't turn down loads to certain areas because they don't pay for fuel and they know they get there day rate to get out of there. you should never have to spend anytime driving for free. you say its the industry standard well may be in your industry your rates haven't changed for the better in over a decade in fact most are driving cheaper because of industry standards. Do you really want the industry standard when it guarantees nothing?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It totally depends on profit at the end of the year.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Viktor

Not a Member
I pay drivers 40 dolars evry day no load works to do. if have works than more money bonnus. I pay all xspensis from my moneys.

mpeak68

Rookie Expediter
Hi Everyone,
I have read through this entire thread, and as usual there is a lot of good information. As for myself
I would never work for or have a driver or team that I did not explain the percentages and everything they would receive. I have two straight trucks on with my carrier and I am also
working to ad a tractor. I do the 60/40 with my teams, I pay fuel,tolls and everything else, they get 40 percent of the net. Seems to work out well, point is I do not hide anything from them,
they know what the amounts are and know they will receive their percentage on pay day. I just
think its better to be upfront and honest in black and white from the get go.

Have a great day

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Hi Everyone,
I have read through this entire thread, and as usual there is a lot of good information. As for myself
I would never work for or have a driver or team that I did not explain the percentages and everything they would receive. I have two straight trucks on with my carrier and I am also
working to ad a tractor. I do the 60/40 with my teams, I pay fuel,tolls and everything else, they get 40 percent of the net. Seems to work out well, point is I do not hide anything from them,
they know what the amounts are and know they will receive their percentage on pay day. I just
think its better to be upfront and honest in black and white from the get go.

Have a great day

40 percent of the net is not fair,or do you mean 40 percent of Gross?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
lol! Here is the comedian if eo again:D

SENT FROM YA MAMA'S HOUSE

The first Fleet Owner I drove for in 1993 paid me 40%,he had trucks on with Tri-State,and Robert's Express,I was qualified with both,great guy.He paid for fuel,tolls and everyday I sat without a load he paid for my meals. I would talk to other driver's and they got a higher percentage but paid fuel and toll's. I kept more money then they did.Paying by the day would work out fine as long as the owner pick's the loads and the driver knows to ask for the right daily rate,because it has to cover 24 hours of your time.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
No at her day rate of 1 k per day she gets the the load puts it on her truck goes direct to the drop can unload 24/7 doesn't have to be there till wed but I got a few vans sitting around pa so she will swap into one of my vans that I will drop at delivery till unload she would be back in service for her company within 24 hrs. the load takes 18 hours 5 in to load less than 30 to unload. either way she will have 24 hrs that gives her a 4 or 5 hour nap
She has to log,can't drive 18 hrs.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
did not know that as thinking she was in a van 1 k per day for a straight would be a piece of cake

You better get another office girl. If you're offering a non-reefer st $1000 per day, your phone is going to be ringing off the hook.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You better get another office girl. If you're offering a non-reefer st $1000 per day, your phone is going to be ringing off the hook.

Wow....and it is a "piece of cake". Sooooo.....$1000 a day or $30,000 a month.
Or.....$300,000 a year with two months off.
Yep....I will sign up for that. Just as soon as I stop laughing. ;)

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
the funny part dave is you thinking that unless the name on the side of the truck is panther or fed ex then it must be impossible to gross over 200 with a straight. 30k per month I think that's doable with a team as far as gross numbers go running freight from 1.50-3.00 should be simple enough.