What's fair and equitable

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A guy once told my kid brother "I'll pay you what you're worth."
Brother said "I'd never work that cheap."

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I can see where this guy is coming from. His system could be both troublesome and advantages. The driver has to ask for a rate that will compensate for 24 hours of there time.The loads he gets the driver are largely gonna be based on each driver's daily rate. If you have a higher daily rate he isn't gonna call you out unless there is enough meat in the run to pay the bill's and leave some profit.The driver's with the lower daily rate are gonna get the shorter runs.He is gonna run you as hard as he can in that 24 hours,if he loads you twice ha can really make out well.The driver does his sitting at home instead of on the road,but the deadhead wears you out so yes you have to get a high daily rate.My minimum would be at least 250.00,and that might be a little low.

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Your still saying nothing about what you actually pay. Huge red flag.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Not stepping on your toe or jumping to his defense but he did say what he pays.He gives the driver his daily asking rate. Based on what he said most driver's he gets don't know there value. I would guess he has a high turnover because of this.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't hide anything.

"They get what they ask for doesn't matter what the load pays that's none of their business."

"I don’t tell them anything other than the contract is for anyone who has a clean driving record and can pass a drug test and that they must be added to my insurance without raising my premium."

If he can't put a number out there he is basically a gamer.
B-I-N-G-O was his name-O

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I'm guess if you say you need $50 per day you get the $50 per day contract.
If you say $65 per day you get the $65 per day contract.
Then he counts a day as 24 hrs ?
That can be two days work.
Am I understanding it right ?

Yes that is correct. I have got some that have quoted me $50 per day usually young kids who have no real experience. A lot of class A CDL drivers for $150-$250 per day seems to be normal most say that's all they make driving big truck.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
well while it is true I don't tell them the rates I move the vans for I do however post that rate I move for in the locations thread on this very site. that is more than most on here care to share. Kind of like when someone ask a question the standard reply is read back as that topic has been discussed. So when I say I don't hide anything I mean it. But it really is no of their business since their settlements have nothing to do with what I get. yes and I have all rate sheets to prove it.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Ok what is the daily rate? I'll ask for arguments sake, 500 a day. Am I good to go since I asked?

well $500 a day for a cargo van driver is a little pricey but seeing how I usually get at least $400 even for a 20 mile run I could do it. Now I know you and panther have been together for a long time but I would almost bet you couldn't pay a van driver that and would even go as far as saying with your company you couldn't do it for your straights if you used single drivers on a daily either. oh I had some good weeks at panther in my 3 years there but the best week I ever had in a 24' was 8k gross. and that was at $1.35 per mile before they even had fuel surcharges. I know all about them Dave they are not the best game in town but I did like the fact that you could use their authority and keep 85% if it wasn't for that I would have never made it as a single driver with them.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Cheri honestly you would only work 1-2 days a month at that rate but the bottom line may be better for those 1 to 2 days than what some of these that live on the road get to put in the pocket. but I would also add that you should stay at load1.the owner of the company is fair and equitable at least with the contractors that I have met.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
well $500 a day for a cargo van driver is a little pricey but seeing how I usually get at least $400 even for a 20 mile run I could do it. Now I know you and panther have been together for a long time but I would almost bet you couldn't pay a van driver that and would even go as far as saying with your company you couldn't do it for your straights if you used single drivers on a daily either. oh I had some good weeks at panther in my 3 years there but the best week I ever had in a 24' was 8k gross. and that was at $1.35 per mile before they even had fuel surcharges. I know all about them Dave they are not the best game in town but I did like the fact that you could use their authority and keep 85% if it wasn't for that I would have never made it as a single driver with them.

I don't really know what a van averages at Panther. I will defer that to someone who runs a van but a $500 a day average would be a tough sell consistently for any carrier as far as I know doing a van. If not.....everyone would be there would they not?
I follow enough freight/3PL sites including Selectus and NLM to know what a lot of the rates are. The margins aren't there to consistantly pay a van driver 500 a day.
As far as a solo in a straight, that might be more realistic as far as Panther. As far as whether Panther is the "best game in town" is subjective. They are currently the best fit with a fleet owner operation. But...anything can change. Many carriers talk, but what I look at is whether we can do 200k plus per year with a dry van team straight truck. To my knowledge, the Fed is the the only other place that can produce that kind of revenue frequently across a fleet. In a one truck operation I would say Landstar would be another but they aren't really set up for fleet operations.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Crich: I have no intention of leaving Load 1 - I like the boss, the dispatchers, the 'culture', even the Sprinter guys are ok, lol.

I'd be happy to drive for you on those 1 or 2 days when you'd pay my rate, though - call me when you get the freight. ;)

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
awesome reply i also had an owner ,like this great guy and still doing biz with him honesty is always the best way to go.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Crich: I have no intention of leaving Load 1 - I like the boss, the dispatchers, the 'culture', even the Sprinter guys are ok, lol.

I'd be happy to drive for you on those 1 or 2 days when you'd pay my rate, though - call me when you get the freight. ;)

And we know what the actual load dollars, that's what not hiding things means.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If he offered a percentage, that would matter, but he's offering a flat rate - what the load pays him doesn't matter, long as I get the rate I want. ;)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If he offered a percentage, that would matter, but he's offering a flat rate - what the load pays him doesn't matter, long as I get the rate I want. ;)

It does when the statement is made I don't hide anything.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I believe the numbers here are all over the place because crich is talking drivers to drive his equipment; him paying all expenses.
Some are understanding this and some are thinking he wants to hire you and your equipment.

Did I get this part right ?

The issues of being open and upfront are not issues in this situation.

You'll drive for $80 per day ? Ok, you drove 3 days last week, here's your $240. The rest of the facts are not relevant.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe the numbers here are all over the place because crich is talking drivers to drive his equipment; him paying all expenses.
Some are understanding this and some are thinking he wants to hire you and your equipment.

You'll drive for $80 per day ? Ok, you drove 3 days last week, here's your $240. The rest of the facts are not relevant.

Again he made a claim that is false, I agree they would not be relevant if in fact that claim had not been made.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy

Yes you got it correct except it’s more like ok you will work for $80 per day I got a run that's going to take 4 days before you get back to your base "home" you want it yes or no?
Once accepted I will give you the details here is your code for fuel to get to pick-up. call me when you’re on site, call me when your loaded with bol, pcs,# ok I got that I call site verify you loaded I call you back with a code for you four days plus fuel money to deliver.

once your arrive @ consignee call me and let me know you’re on site then call me back with the pod and fax your bol and drop original in the mail next time home please. If I don't have anything for you I give you a code to cover your fuel back home. No direct deposits or final settlements you already got it when you’re loaded.
I do not tell you what route to drive most of my contracts are for 4 day jobs fri,sat,sun,mon
You pick up Friday deliver Monday in this time frame you must be able to manage your time well enough to complete a run up to 1,500 miles once loaded on Friday and be able to deliver @ 8am Monday and if I have nothing for you that would be able to get you home by midnight Monday then I will offer you a load or three with how many extra day rates it would take to complete that one or code home either way every Friday starts from the same shipper. You make yours I make mine. You worry about what you need to do to successfully complete your task and I worry about the tools you need to satisfy my customer.
Common sense can go a long way I have high paying freight from one customer with thousands of stores that pay what I would call decent enough to make it possible to actually survive as a fleet. I am only covering a very small portion of the freight and can get a lot more at my rate.to me it does no good to do partner carrier agreements that just lets your partner in the door to start beating up the rates next thing you know you got half the selectus carriers double and triple brokering and by the time it’s over it ended up on some poor guys truck for less than .70 per mile and he’s sitting in a truck stop putting his entire life on hold till he gets another load or gets paid for that one so he has the fuel money to relocate. And that is what happens on a 60/40 split it’s been going on for years and these .90 per mile carriers have so much turnover I don’t cause my drivers get what they ask for + some as the lane develops it may turn into 7 day drives 14 or even 21.
Please get this thread back on topic now and let’s get some feedback from others as to what they feel is fair and I would like to see some numbers from some of you drivers that drive vans on a 60/40 split and how long you been with your fleet

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Zigzag if you want to look at it that way go ahead I won't sweat the small stuff. bottom line it works this way for me. I haven't hidden anything that's relevant to a "driver" or the contracting of that driver and you can twist words however you like.my goal is to just give people what they ask for and they wont need to look elsewhere. it all comes down to knowing your cost of living and what you want out of life. I have mine and hope that although our first conversation did not go well I still wish you the best in your travels.