Van - better more volume or more weight capacity?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Bently:
Don't confuse the requirements for having to have a CDL (26,000 pounds) with those that define a Commercial Motor Vehicle (10,001 pounds). You don't have to have a CDL for, say, an 11,000 pound vehicle, but it is a CMV nonetheless, and requires logging and scaling, and all the other wonderful benefits of being a CMV.

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
OK...Great reason to stay UNDER 10,001!!! I suspect thing can be difficult without adding diificulty of stopping and scaling or keeping logs (though I do know how-just don't want to).

So...I think the 3/4 T extended van is going to be the winner here, unless some one comes up with some really compelling reason for the cube. See....that's why there is a Newbees area, so we can get good directions from people who have been there and done it.
Thanks to everyone for all of the help

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd skip 3/4 ton and go with a 1 ton. You'll get heavier duty components and a greater reserve capacity on everything. My 1 ton for example has 8 lug wheels where the 3/4 ton is only 6 lug I think. You'll also be able to carry more weight legally. That doesn't mean you should, just that again the reserve is greater. My carrier requires 2500 pounds. I can legally carry over 3300 with my 1 ton although I told them my limit is 2700.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll agree with LBD on his thoughts...certainly a 1 Ton.

I think the van of choice is the Chevy extended as the wheel base is longer..less overhang at rear as opposed to the Ford with that huge overhang...

guido4475

Not a Member
24" bunk? who's going to fit in there? Cheri?*lol*

Uhhh----Excuse me, Pork Chop !!! As you know, I am over 300# of pure Italian stud, and I fit and sleep very well in my cozy, quiet, 29" Sleeper in my American Slop-Bucket, thank you !!! LOL.A one -ton is the only way to go.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
27 inches wide for me, no Holiday Inn, but its home,,got a fold out cot when the freight is out of the way, works for me and think goodness for indoor plumbing( milk jug of course):D

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have a 1 ton GMC Savana extended van with no built in bunk. I have just a mattress that I slap down on the floor and three of the six loads that i've done in the past 10 days have utilized the entire space of the van; from the back of my seats all the way to the back doors. I accredit not having a built in sleeper to my staying as busy as i've been in recent days.I also had one load that was near 2000 pounds, so weight capacity also plays into the mix as I can legally haul 3320 pounds per my CAT scale ticket.

Now, that being said, the raised roof is an excellent idea as there are a lot of one and two skid loads that are just over 48-50 inches tall. I think a raised roof along with raised doors could get you around 10% more loads in a year, which will boost your gross revenue quite a bit.

The Sprinter is a nice van. I'd love to be able to have a huge sleeper bunk walled in and retain the ability to haul three skid loads. You can't beat the comfort of a sprinter van nor the fuel mileage, but you have to have a small bank to be able to aford one. Perhaps you'd have to pull a bank heist to be able to get one for cash!! lol J/k.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Blizzard, out of curiousity what type of milage do ya get w/ that vehicle? And what year is it? thanx.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I drive a 2004 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Van Danny. I get between 15 and 16 miles per gallon depending on how fast I drive. I tend to have a lead foot, but i've been getting almost 16 mpg at 71 mph. I have slowed down some to be able to drive at a constant 71 mph. Hope this helps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just think what you might get if you held it at 63-64 all the time.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
It helped a lot. Your MPG is about the same as mine when ya factor in the speeds we drive. I'm usually in the 17-18 range, but usually keep it under 67. I only have a 3/4 ton though. Thanx for your response.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also some neighbor hoods you can't have units that weight
over 10,000 lbs on street
here in newport news we have those rules and with a sprinter van under rules and able to park in driveway not on the street

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My dodge one ton, b3500 eeks out 16.33 at a steady 63 mph. If I get the mid grade gas, a tad over 17mpg. At 75 mph, 14.45mpg, It loves gas.........ancient throttle body, 2002 model

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I drive a 2004 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Van Danny. I get between 15 and 16 miles per gallon depending on how fast I drive. I tend to have a lead foot, but i've been getting almost 16 mpg at 71 mph. I have slowed down some to be able to drive at a constant 71 mph. Hope this helps.

Slowed down to drive 71, how fast were you going:eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I prefer more volume over weight capacity. I have 4 Focal 155 watt 2-channel amps. 3 of these amps are dedicated to the subwoofers. When I turn up the volume on my favorite rap music, the freight is self-unloading like walking floor, dood.

I can haul raw castings from the foundry to the customer and deburr them en route thanks to my stereo's sonic vibratory deburring capabilities. For an extra fee of .20/mile per 1000# I not only enhance my revenue stream but I keep the customer satisfied.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yesterday I filled up at the T/A in Kentucky,then topped off in Monroe, at the T/A, and got 18.2 running 65-70 with a 1,400# jet engine in back that I picked up in Orlando.So my fuel mileage does vary alot.Once I got 18 From Wytheville to The Pilot at exit 96 on 70 in Indiana, with 2,000 in the back.That surprised me, going through the mountains and everything. Then the next day I may only get 15 mpg.I want to change the rear end gears from 4:09 to 3:55, ford factory option.My freind has the same spec'd van, year and everything, and he is averaging over 20.5 with is all the time with this ratio.But I need to get a little more caught up on bills from last summers mistake witht he other company before I can spend that kind of money right now.I use Powerservice in the gray bottle for the ulsd fuel.