Van - better more volume or more weight capacity?

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
In the continuing saga of my adventure, I'm wondering if it is better to have more weight capacity or more volume capacity? Which gets used most often? Yes I know...with a Sprinter I could have both, but a Sprinter just doesn't fit into the start-up budget.
I have opportunity for E350 extended or E350 with cube box. If I could find a Unicel, that probably would be best but.... I know the cube will get less mileage, but will it run more often because of the volume capacity?
Yes I also know depends on the company you're leased to, but I'd sure be interested in the experience of the guys running vans.
Thanks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes I also know depends on the company you're leased to,

I'm just a dumb ole truck driver and I didn't spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express either but I believe that is by far the most significant factor. My take, the more professional the carrier the more volume will help and the less structured the carrier the more weight capacity will help.

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks LDB for the post. My thoughts are the weight differences aren't really that much, and the more flexible the vehicle, the more runs it can get. Fuel mileage will be sacrificed, but that only comes into play when you AREN'T SITTING.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Seems a no brainer to me: weight will add stress to the suspension, transmission, etc, while volume [larger objects] that isn't heavy won't.

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri, thanks for the post. And I agree with you about the stresses. what the real question was will the cube van get better chances to run more trips becuase it has more volume, and is more flexible in what it can take??

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
We're sort of in the same boat here. Although I'm w/ a company I'm looking at getting a bigger vehicle than my 250.

From what I've gathered from this site, it's height more than anything that you'll want to consider. 2 skids is pretty common. I wouldn't think a cube van will get ya that much more freight to offset the loss of miles per gallon.

What I'm considering here is a 350 (like you) & then get a raised roof. The roof is about 3K or so. Then I'd like to get the raised doors.

I saw a Panther van on the road the other day that was equipped like this. Raised roof & raised doors. That looked like an ideal set up to me. I'm not sure how much the higher doors would cost though.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Agree with Danny - ht is the more important criteria.
I drive a D unit, but drove a van for a couple years, and am drawing on memory, in case you wondered.
A favorite memory on topic is when dispatch [at ConWay Now] said there was a load leaving from the place I'd just delivered, but it was too tall for my van - if I could pull a "sweet & helpless" routine on them [per dispatch, who didn't know me, hahaha], maybe they could make it fit. I wanted that load, which took me close to home, so
I told the shipping clerk that I was ready to take the load, if they could make it fit - otherwise, they could order a bigger unit, and wait for it to arrive, if there was one even close, they'd need to call & ask.
Turned out the freight was the size of a watermelon - it was the rack that was too tall, so they just skipped sending the rack, and I got the load. :D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I had a van that could do 3 skids I would take that over a 4 skid cube. I think the mileage would win. That being said it would be a tough call a lot of my loads in a sprinter are over 48 inches tall. I also know several people in 4 skid capacity sprinters. They all say most there
loads are 3-4 skids with most being 3. I think a lot of that depends on your carrier.

If you haven't already before you purchase talk to recruiters at the companies your interested in. They all have different rules on vehicle age etc. Some may not be taken on vans at all. You want to be sure to invest in an acceptable ride.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you get a cube van you need to watch weight make sure it is under 10,000 lbs
i would go with the sprinter
and look on want add's for a sprinter

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fuel isn't getting any cheaper, At today's national average price of 3.01/gal and assuming 80,000 total miles per year, the difference between a 15mpg cube and an 18mpg van (if you can achieve those numbers) is $3354 per year. That's pure cost. Are you going to get that many more loads that will generate the required revenue to come up with $3354 a year in profit to offset this?

As fuel creeps back up fuel mileage is going to mean more and more. For example the same scenario above at $3.50/gal turns out to be $3900. If you get the more typical 12 mpg in a cube the difference is $9700. Gets scary pretty fast eh?

Also, as Leo said, unless your carrier will sell the space you have, it is completely useless.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Are you going to get that many more loads that will generate the required revenue to come up with $3354 a year in profit to offset this?
There ya go. Same question needs to be asked for paying extra for a raised roof and extended doors, or for that matter a Sprinter. If you are with a carrier that skews things towards tall freight for your loads, then it might be worth it. But in general, paying extra for a taller van is not likely to pay for itself in increased revenue. You will occasionally get taller freight, but will you get a tall load instead of no load at all, or will you simply get the tall load because you can haul it, and someone else gets the short load?

I got my Sprinter for three main reasons, one because I got tired of breaking down the top layer of those those 49" tall loads, rebuilding it inside the van, and the reversing the process at delivery, and two, because I got tired of doing everything on my knees - I wanted to be able to stand up. The other main reason is I wanted a permanent bunk so I could sleep while loaded.

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to everyone for their wisdom!! All very good advise and information!! It will help me in the decision process.

Geo.....you mention staying under 10K GVW. I understand the wisdom of staying under 26K GVW, but don't understand the 10K. Can you explain??

My thoughts are.....cube would give me space for bunk, and standup room fully loaded with three skids, IF there is a "crawl thru" between the cab and the cargo box. Build a wall say 4' back from the front of the box on a 16' box and you still have 12' of cargo space for three skids. Most of these are 11K+ GVW. When there are those less than 10K GVW, that would mean less cargo weight due to increased weight of cub box. Here again, then, comes the weight question. Which is more often the limiting factor on a load......Volume or Weight. :confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Staying under 10k will keep you from scaling/logbook.

Weight only adds to your total cost to run...height does as little(mpg) but won't hurt the van.

If you have carrier that pays the proper FSC the price of fuel becomes redundant.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be wary of an over 10k vehicle that isn't dock high. You are going to be significantly restricted due to HOS requirements as well as the expectation that any vehicle under HOS rules is also dock high.

Stand up comfort is a definite consideration. I have a standard Chevy van so I can't stand up straight. It's plenty usable but would be more comfortable if I could stand up straight.

Fuel mileage is absolutely a factor. In 72k miles at 12.5mpg it takes 5760 gallons vs. at 16.5mpg taking 4364 gallons. At $3 a gallong that's 5.8 cpm difference or roughly $350 a month. Factor in higher costs for wear items like brakes, tires etc. and it's several hundred dollars a month higher costs. Most likely you're looking at drw so you've got 6 tires to amortize not 4.

We're back to who you run for. With the right carrier you'll do well with the cube and logs. With the wrong carrier you'll be lucky to cover the higher expenses at best.

We have a member here, Transporter, who runs a cube van and does well. You might want to send him a PM and discuss it in more detail with him.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have carrier that pays the proper FSC the price of fuel becomes redundant.

???? Regardless of what they pay for an FSC fuel is a cost. If you get better mileage the FSC can turn into an profit item instead of merely a cost offset. A 24mpg van is an FSC profit generator at $3.10 a gallon (with the standard FSC) and a 12 mpg cube is a $13,208 cost. Are there any carriers who will pay a "C" unit FSC to a cube...on EVERY mile?

Fuel is a cost.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transporter is also an independent who figures in his rate of pay to compensate for his fuel...a luxury most here don't have...

In my opinion anything less then 15mpg is a no go...

There is a direct correlation between your mpg's and the FSC...
The better the mpg's the more the FSC offsets the cost of fuel.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
???? Regardless of what they pay for an FSC fuel is a cost. If you get better mileage the FSC can turn into an profit item instead of merely a cost offset. A 24mpg van is an FSC profit generator at $3.10 a gallon (with the standard FSC) and a 12 mpg cube is a $13,208 cost. Are there any carriers who will pay a "C" unit FSC to a cube...on EVERY mile?

Fuel is a cost.

My error dear piper...fuel is supposed to be a cost to like $1.25 is the cap figure on most FSC charts.?

Like me for example anything over 24mpg at this time is at break even point...no cost to me...every mpg less takes money from my pocket.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Bentley,
I wouldn't even bother considering any cube/box van over 10k.

Speaking from experience, the limitations with three of the four majors in this niche market and in general most of the industry would not make the restrictions of logging that you will face worth while.

Most of the loads will be split between vans and straight trucks with you stuck in the middle unless you are with a small company.

With a cube/box under 10k, the limitation now is with the weight you can haul. You may end up with a 2200lb capacity with all the junk you haul with you, including yourself. But the space is great and a couple companies no doubt stuff that box full a lot of the times. But then that LUCK factor comes in to play in some situation where you are in an area where there is a lot of vans.

Now the last thing is fuel, here is the catch too.

With a under 10k box truck, you will get an average of 10.5 to 11 with older ones, some do well at 12 and a few at 15 but think of 10.5 to 11. With that level of fuel consumed, you should consider a straight truck which actually can get 10 to 12 and haul a lot more.

Sure you can do a lot of things that will improve the mileage, Unicell body is one of them but not the only one out there like that. Look around.

If you are set with a cube/box van, get a small one, there are a number 12 footers out there. Look around and see what Penske has for sale.

BUT regardless what you do, always do it with a purpose. I mean don't trap yourself in a vehicle that you can't use or get out of (a lack of marketability to sell it) or have difficulty using with another company. Always think about a move or make a plan B.

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks again for all of the insight from you guys who are DOING IT!! Both arguments make lots of sense. I'll send Transporter a private message if I can figure out how, and see what his take is.

It's Sping in Upstate NY and had to go out and mow the lawn for the first time. Poor old B and S mower that's 24yrs. old finally let me down. Had to rebuild and clean the carberator to get her running again. She's running, and the lawn is done. Thought I'd enjoy it a while before I get into running.

Thanks again for all of you that are contributing to my "education".

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bentley, the Transporter is currently having a bunch of computer issues and is not monitoring EO. If you send me the PM I can forward it to his working e-mail account for you.

Just click my screen name on the left and use the "send a private message" link.