Van - better more volume or more weight capacity?

guido4475

Not a Member
I prefer more volume over weight capacity. I have 4 Focal 155 watt 2-channel amps. 3 of these amps are dedicated to the subwoofers. When I turn up the volume on my favorite rap music, the freight is self-unloading like walking floor, dood.

I can haul raw castings from the foundry to the customer and deburr them en route thanks to my stereo's sonic vibratory deburring capabilities. For an extra fee of .20/mile per 1000# I not only enhance my revenue stream but I keep the customer satisfied.

Now that's funny !!! lol.

Driver-X

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys,I've been reading your posts about cars and EPA's.
I would rather have a Sprinter...I bought a 2006 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 SHC(super high ceiling),with 158" wheelbase.I moved the separation wall a step behind the seats and i build a bed there...25 inches wide...which is ok for a guy like me which is 6'5" tall and 245 lbs.If I want to spread...i can do that over the passenger's seat.
So i have exactly 12' of cargo area for 3 skids.
Now the fuel millage...i get about 20'21 miles per gallon with 70-75 miles per hour....but you have to know how to drive also...don't accelerate when you go uphill to reach a desired speed,do it while you go downhill...will help reach hat speed faster and at less rpm's...my van has cruise control and I always use it.
Now about the car's cost...I paid mine $17,500 cash...and had 91k miles when I got it...that doesn't brake the bank...really...but if I buy a $10K Chevy,GMC van...I think the difference of the cost will pay back even in one year with the money I will save on the gas...plus has a higher re-sale value.
Maintenance doesn't cost a lot...unless you are stubborn and wanna go to the dealer every time.You can easily find good OEM parts on the internet(I use eBay a lot) and just go to a shop and install them or do-it-yourself.The brakes...the oil change,I do it myself...but so far I haven't had any mechanical breakdowns.
In the end,lets not forget this is a german engineered car,and germans are not stupid...I am european and these cars have been around for years in Europe and they last way longer than any other brand...but you need to take care of it whenever has it's due time.A car is like a human been...treat it well and give her good fuel will run with no problems...you...if you eat crap food,you'll get constipated and sit your a$$ on the toilet and take pills.
With all this said...my opinion SPRINTER is a GO for me...even if it's a little pricey compared to the american made cars.If you want to do this for a while,you will need a dependable car too which will outlast any other.
Best wishes to all drivers out there.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
just pulled the ss together from the first 5 months with numbers you can use.

76 skids/platforms hauled
36,255 lbs hauled
503 lbs avg weight
9 loads of 2 skids. the rest are single skids or individual small boxes.

only 1 load/1 pce over 48" tall in the first month of ownership.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
try leasing one you don't have to put as much down and monthly payment is expdense

guido4475

Not a Member
just pulled the ss together from the first 5 months with numbers you can use.

76 skids/platforms hauled
36,255 lbs hauled
503 lbs avg weight
9 loads of 2 skids. the rest are single skids or individual small boxes.

only 1 load/1 pce over 48" tall in the first month of ownership.

Hi Jack, just wondering, have you been able to keep track of loads lost that were more than 2 skids? I am just wondering how many people lose out on loads because they can only haul 2 skids.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
1 load when we arrived was 3+ skids of flat boxes. we took about 62 of them and another van was called in for the rest. i don't know what vehicle was called for on the original order.

one load turned into 4 skids from call to leaving the parking lot. couple others canceled outright before rolling. e-1 does a good job matching the truck to the load.

Last edited: