Truck has be castrated

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the carrier forums should be off limits to folks not working for that carrier.

Case in point, I went to start a thread in the FXCC forum about a letter being sent out to FXCC contractors. About halfway through typing I realized that I would be posting company information on a public website that *might* have caused FXCC some harm or at the very least, I might have been sharing information publicly that I had no business sharing. To discuss it amongst a bunch of FXCC folks would be no big deal however.

To pjjjj's and a bit of Turtle's point, if people can't read the carrier specific forums then they would never get frustrated by not being able to respond to them. They would also not get confused by company specific terms, wording or just general knowledge that is specific to being with that carrier. What purpose does it serve if say, in a Panther forum when a discussion about macros comes up a whole bunch of time is wasted explaining to non panther folks what a "19" is etc...

TeamC is right, her spreadsheets and the like are very FX specific. They make sense to an FX contractor and likely would not work well or possibly not give good information results to someone who isn't on the FX system. If they never get posted because Linda doesn't want to spend hours explaining to non FX folks what each entry means, folks who could benifit from them are losing out!

We all joined to talk and listen to the masses, so I don't think that we will all run and hide in our carrier only forums. I also think locking them up will encourage more frank and open discussion within them. If the OP posts it in a carrier forum, then they want carrier only input. It's not that hard to decide where to post. This is a big enough website now, limiting the carrier forums would cause no harm and would help prevent people from possibly going and starting their own carrier specific websites. Nobody gains there......

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle there are many companies that have the same discount and have had it much longer then FCC has. The point was to get the word out to more FCC trucks that the discount is new to us and we need to take advantage of it.
The point? The point of what? You mean the TA Discount thread from back in August, or the one from January? FECC TA discounts have't been mentioned in the FECC forum since that last thread in January. I promise you, the possibility of bad TA fuel dirtying up fuel filters is not a carrier specific problem.

The threads were FCC is telling all WG trucks get the ECM changed is company specific. I have not heard of any other companies implementing this policy.
I agree with ya there.

There are other carriers that have that policy, tho. I'm aware of two, neither of which are very large, tho. But the thread dealing with WG trucks was about just that, WG trucks, and is one that should be carrier specific. Even if it wasn't, not very many would likely chime in on that one, and if they did, I can't imagine someone like a WG driver being utterly confused by it.

There are plusses and minuses to having company threads.
I agree with that, as well.

One of the problems that has happened in the past is when a company tries to discuss a specific company policy it gets diluted with too many replies that are not from FCC drivers.
FCC drivers? You're kidding, right? Read that again and tell me how that doesn't reinforce the perception of all things snooty and snotty.

This really confuses many issues as you do not know who is writing from a company based policy perspective or just giving an opinion and they do not have the company resources to justify their opinion.
Well, it's not that confusing, but in any case it's pretty easy to deal with.

There are many Panther threads that are company specific that need Panther drivers input not a FCC driver input to confuse the issue more.
Most Panther drivers are in a perpetual state of confusion, with or without any input from FECCers.

I see no reason on many of the issues as PJJJJ has done many times in the past ask a question in the open forum. This way there are two threads going and if you are just a lurker on here from FCC you can read both and know that in the FCC thread there are only FCC people replying. Then look at the thread in the General and realize that many people are replying from many different companies.
That's what sigs are for. Two separate threads on the same issue is not the ideal solution of poster identification.

Like I said, the perception becomes reality when a generic topic is posted into a carrier thread, ostensibly because the original poster feels that responses from drivers of other carriers aren't worthy, not even worth taking the time to read, and should therefor be prevented from being posted. Fuel filters, TA fuel and Speed Limiters are not carrier specific. But it sure seems the only valid and acceptable responses are.

Carrier specific forums are a good idea, but in my obviously clueless and idiotic opinion, if you can read there, you should be able to post there, and if you can't post there, you shouldn't be able to read there.

I'm OK either way, although I do think that all forums should be open to all. I think the benefits of openness (even at the risk of the horror of confusion) outweigh the benefits of exclusiveness. I do think that closing off carrier forums will close off a lot of information from drivers about different companies.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well congrats Layout :p

The problem with these carrier specific forums has been mentioned, and it seems that any idea of closing any carrier specific forums seems to be a bad idea. It may cause the clubbing of members and defeat the purpose of having an open forum - much like when Phil wanted to have a closed forum for the Expediter's History on his own site.

I found a few in the FedEx forum that should be moved to the truck forum, nothing FedEx specific.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Personally I can't see one thing about the 'spreadsheet' thread in the fecc forum that would be relevant to ONLY feckers. I really think most expediters keep spreadsheets and most keep most of the information noted by the OP. And in fact, that beast from Bolt who added in his unwanted two cents actually had a good point, or at least I thought so. To me, this is a perfect example of what EO is all about, the sharing of good ideas.. why something like that would be limited to only those of a certain carrier is beyond me.

And did anyone ever consider that perhaps there are readers who may not at this moment, be with a given carrier, but may be considering signing on with said carrier? Perhaps they may have questions which may elaborate on any given post in any given section. And then there are others again, like myself, who like to understand how the various other carriers operate, period. Knowledge is good. Is there really a problem with that? Or is the information really like, private? Is there some big secret here? Hmm, don't think so.

As Turtle noted, there are also people who ARE part of any given carrier, who do NOT want to be identified as such. Afterall they may get their butts fired if they say the wrong thing around here. Some don't/won't take chances, and I, for one, don't blame them.

Personally, I view it as an issue where certain cheerleaders may resent the fact that 'outsiders' may be questioning their beloved carrier. Sorry, we're not all infatuated with your carrier of choice.

Does anyone really think that if a thread regarding an issue specific to FECC were posted in the general forums, and some dimwit like myself, who doesn't really know the inside scoop on the realities of FECC, posted a wrong reply in there, they would not be quickly enlightened by those that DO know the scoop? Hmmph, fat chance. Therefore, I'd say the risk is pretty minimal to none, that some newbie is going to get wrong information. I'm assuming even the newbies can read afterall.

The other thing that happens is that once a thread is posted, it drifts off and expands and forks out into different areas which perhaps WOULD benefit from other sources of information. At which point should it move out into the general forums?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by pjjjjj
Personally, I view it as an issue where certain cheerleaders may resent the fact that 'outsiders' may be questioning their beloved carrier.
================================================
I would say it is noticed a lot.
Some I believe that are of the Elitist thinking, fail to realize that some of the best ideas come from the ones with the least amount of information.
But keep in mind, a idea is not a replacement for EXPERIENCE.

ireland

Seasoned Expediter
We made it a whole week and a half with the speed limiter. Decided to invest in the software and tool to be able to change it ourselves. Our truck is an 05 Volvo and purchased through a company that supplies the truck dealers.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Shooter, see what you have done? See, you castrated your truck and posted about it and now everybody has a place to complain about EO policies, cheerleaders, turtles, pelicns. :) :)

aileron

Expert Expediter
We made it a whole week and a half with the speed limiter. Decided to invest in the software and tool to be able to change it ourselves. Our truck is an 05 Volvo and purchased through a company that supplies the truck dealers.

Mind sharing the the details? Price, place, etc.. Others might want to do the same.

ireland

Seasoned Expediter
First you need to purchase the tool which is called an adapter. If you have a fleet of trucks you only need to purchase one adapter. Then you will need the software depending on your engine manufacturer. Your computer needs to have Vista Business or XP Professional, nothing else will work.
At least 1.6 Ghz and 40 GB hard drive space. The adapter costs us $750 which is usable with any truck. The software for Volvo and Mack costs us $800. But prices vary depending on manufacturer. This is a complete diagnostic program to find and fix problems.
Cummings software is the most expensive only because it is already loaded onto a computer but also comes with an additional diagnostic program that costs $1500 alone. This is not aftermarket software it is directly from the manufacturer. I'm not sure if I can post name of company here???? If not pm us.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Clearly, you need to invest in a stack of blank CD/DVD's. You should be able to recover the cost of the software after about 8, maybe 16 burns. After a few more burns and you've recouped the cost of the adapter, as well. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just a bit of warning, there is something to be said about trucks under warranty and the use of software by non-licensed people. They will not cover the ECM replacement if they suspect the use of software by an unlicensed mechanic. There is already talk about this with Cummins, they have been seeing some MH and heavy trucks being messed with and they refuse to pay for the repairs, all the repairs.

If you have a problem with the software and/or the ECM which results in something that is messed up, then you are screwed. These things are not perfect, especially in the hands of someone who just barely knows what a hard drive is (generally truckers) and things do happen.

I have been working on this issue for myself for over a month before it became a subject here for a number of reasons and with the help from three of the six engine manufacturers, I have a pretty good grip on the issue.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm not sure if I can post name of company here???? If not pm us.

You are not an advertiser promoting a product. Products are often named by expediters here. I would be very interested to hear more and see a link to the vendor's site.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Phil,
Seeing you have me on your ignore list and that is really a bad thing, so for others here is the name of the software and the price.

There are a number of vendors selling it, some will not sell it to truck owners anymore seeing that the EPA and Carb for obvious reasons. I won't list the vendors for another reason but if you are so incline to buy a copy, you can PM me.

Vcads, which is for volvo cost is $900

The adapter runs from $350 to $900 depending on the vendor

There are other programs out there for Cat, Mack specific, Cummins (which was $275) and even GM.

There are no real explanation on what you can do with the software that I could find outside of the specs for the computer - it is written for a TRAINED mechanic, not a truck owner. Some vendors will sell a package deal, $4000 with a panisonic toughbook laptop and the adapter.

ireland

Seasoned Expediter
Greg, you're right about the warranty, however our truck has been out of warranty for a long time now. Also, with this software it sends a report to Volvo each time a change is made with our vin number. We did alot of research to find the software that was the right fit for us. We don't run many Canada loads a year (less than 6 loads) so for us changing our speed to go into Canada and then back up once we return into the States just didn't make sense on many levels. It's only a matter of time as the ATA is frothing at the bit to get this done here.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well here is the other issue with doing it yourself, if you mess up the ECM by any means, the shop may just tell you that you will need a new one because they can't diag the thing properly. This increases the cost of any repair, not to mention the cost of sitting out for a few days as it is being repair. Some think I am saying this just say it but I have 9 ECMs that were given to me that have been hacked by owners that one replar depot tossed because it wasn't worth the time to reflash it and test it.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
First you need to purchase the tool which is called an adapter. If you have a fleet of trucks you only need to purchase one adapter. Then you will need the software depending on your engine manufacturer. Your computer needs to have Vista Business or XP Professional, nothing else will work.
At least 1.6 Ghz and 40 GB hard drive space. The adapter costs us $750 which is usable with any truck. The software for Volvo and Mack costs us $800. But prices vary depending on manufacturer. This is a complete diagnostic program to find and fix problems.
Cummings software is the most expensive only because it is already loaded onto a computer but also comes with an additional diagnostic program that costs $1500 alone. This is not aftermarket software it is directly from the manufacturer. I'm not sure if I can post name of company here???? If not pm us.

I had an isx in my last truck and got the download for free from cummings it let me change the engine speed and several other things no need for $$$$$ software if you have an isx

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I still maintain that if you can read there, you should be able to post there. Carrier specific forums are great for collecting topics regarding carriers, but if the masses can read them, but not post to them, it's exclusionary and stifles discussion. If someone outside of a particular carrier posts a message that proves they don't know what they're talking about, so what? The response is likely to clear up questions that many readers may have about the same thing. The more we know about other carriers, good and bad, the better decisions we can make about those carriers.
Here, here .....

I'll tell ya what it is - it's utterly retarded ..... that's what it is.

I can well understand the idea of having company-specific forums - that's fine - it's a good way to segregate the topics into areas of specific interest, some areas of interest being relevant to a certain, particular carrier.

Of course with anything like this, the devil is always in the details of implementation ....

In fact, as it's currently implemented on EO, it just doesn't work to any practical effect - because, since people who aren't currently leased on with a particular carrier, and aren't officially "sanctioned" to participate can't post on a relevant topic, in what should be the correct area.

And as a consequence of that you have what are essentially "carrier-specific" threads scattered all over EO, like so many little turds .... so the apparent attempt at introducing some organization results in .......... no real organization ......

What is so stupid, is the idea that discussion of any carrier has to be limited to only those who are currently leased on there - as though someone else (maybe someone considering leasing on there ?) might not be interested in what is being said, or might not have something to contribute.

Can you imagine how this must appear to a newcomer to this site, or to the industry:

"Hmmm ..... I'm considering getting into expediting and got a question about Fedex .... who I'm considering leasing a vehicle on with .... and EO has a forum just for Fedex discussions .......... but I can't post there .... ?????"

Not exactly very welcoming ......

And the idea just doesn't work out in practice anyways, as I know that in my carrier's forum there is at least one individual can, and has, posted ..... and that individual isn't even with my carrier any more .... nor was he, when his last posts were made. He can probably still post, even though he's been long gone ...

It's stuff like that, that makes such "rules" not much but a laughable farce ......

Of course, if one is of the mindset that stifling communication is a good thing, I'm sure that they view the current status quo as being hunky-dory .....

Personally, I'd like to know who the genius was that had this idea originally - I realize the other mods probably signed on to it, but who orginally suggested it ?

Myself, I don't want any part of a mindset that unnecessarily, and for no real, good, valid reason intentionally limits discussion ..... just a little too "police-state" for my tastes ..... but YMMV.

Consequently, I have not asked, nor will I ever ask for "special permission" to just post in my "carrier's" forum .... it's a principal thing .. and it's EO's loss, not mine .... (and perhaps my carriers loss as well .... or not ... :rolleyes:)

One has to figure out whether such unnecessary restrictions on individuals ability to particpate are "good for bizness ...."

My guess in this biz (internet discussion forums) probably the minimum restrictions you can get away with, the better .....

Last edited: