Truck has be castrated

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was at Stoops in Lima, OH getting some seat work done and while I was there I got my truck "castrated" (speed limited) I checked it with the GPS and it topped out at 65mph. Now I will begin to see just how I like or dislike this. It cost me $48.00. It leaves with doubts in the back of my mind and a foul taste in my mouth. :mad:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Almost all the trucks I have driven have been speed limited, you get used to it. Only thing that sucks is when trying to pass a Schneider truck(speed limited to 63) it takes forever LOL

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is one of my main concerns, time will tell. It most likely will not go up, my fear is that it will go down. I am also concerned about passing and emergency moves. I am going to have to change 40 years of habbit. Not easy for old dogs like me. :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is one of my main concerns, time will tell. It most likely will not go up, my fear is that it will go down. I am also concerned about passing and emergency moves. I am going to have to change 40 years of habbit. Not easy for old dogs like me. :p

You could have changed the leash holder...since they keep you on a short one....:rolleyes:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Congratulations on getting through your minor day surgery! Don't worry, it's not a castration, it's only a little nip 'n tie, and yes, it's reversible! Please do keep us posted on your findings.
And btw, thank you for posting this in the general forums so that anyone here can add to your thoughts.
Hard to believe for some, I know, but some of these issues, such as speed limiters, fuel discounts, fuel filters, EO member status, spreadsheets, OOIDA offers, previous careers, and such, actually apply to the larger expediting population and not just to the feckers amongst us. Seems silly to have to start a second thread sometimes. Seems rather arrogant for some feckers to think some of these issues only apply to themselves. Or perhaps it's beyond arrogance, and the offending feckers really aren't interested in what anyone else might have to add.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Some items are company specific such as fuel discounts and company specific spread sheets as they are geared to running for how one company sends out loads. I know with my spread sheets they would make no sense if the load offer did not come to the truck like ours do. Our fuel discounts and phone numbers to call in on are also company specific. The rules with having to have your speed limiter set to keep your lease are a company specific problem.

Getting your ECM changed to legally enter Ontario and Quebec are a general trucking issue and so affect everyone. Our fuel mileage has not changed at all nor has how the truck changed in how it reacts. In reality the ECM change is totally unnoticeable on how we drive our truck and how our truck acts.

Our truck is geared to run slow for the best fuel mileage and that is how it has always been driven.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will always try to post things that are relevent to the members in here. Almost everything that I have learned about this business I have learned from those in here who know WAY more than I do. If I can return that favor in some small way I will be a happy camper.

I know that it is unlikely that I will see any real difference in my truck. I am just an old stick in the mud. I also just don't do well when told that I HAVE to do something.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will always try to post things that are relevent to the members in here. Almost everything that I have learned about this business I have learned from those in here who know WAY more than I do. If I can return that favor in some small way I will be a happy camper.

I know that it is unlikely that I will see any real difference in my truck. I am just an old stick in the mud. I also just don't do well when told that I HAVE to do something.

I am disappointed Joe...you sold out to the man....money over morals....you claim you'd die to keep your right to choose and for 2.50 a mile you sold out.....tsk tsk....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I pick my fights. I can't fight everything but when it gets real, look out!!! I still might reverse this. If the freight is not there to justify it I will remove the setting. Besides, I can't wait to get into rolling road blocks up there and REALLY screwing up the traffic flow!!! Now THAT will be fun!! :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pick my fights. I can't fight everything but when it gets real, look out!!! I still might reverse this. If the freight is not there to justify it I will remove the setting. Besides, I can't wait to get into rolling road blocks up there and REALLY screwing up the traffic flow!!! Now THAT will be fun!! :D

For you personally, It must have been a struggle to make this decision...but..you are correct..pick the fight...Maybe it won't be so bad as you are expecting...If it doesn't work out, you could always bailout and go surface...and elect not to do Canada...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It really was a tough decision. At least it can be reversed. There is NO way I can go surface, that would NOT support the truck. I would have to look into other options, what ever they are. That was one of the things that made this so hard. I can't stand it when all of the options available to me suck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It really was a tough decision. At least it can be reversed. There is NO way I can go surface, that would NOT support the truck. I would have to look into other options, what ever they are. That was one of the things that made this so hard. I can't stand it when all of the options available to me suck.

Well you had to compromise and you took care of #1...you and your wife...what you thought best..that was just as important...sometimes there is more effected then your personal feelings....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, and who knows what might happen in the future. Things are very fluid right now. This was not the time to battle, that may come soon. I hope not but I see no way around it now. It is like a freight train with no brakes coming down a mountain at us.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some items are company specific such as fuel discounts and company specific spread sheets as they are geared to running for how one company sends out loads.
Company specific spreadsheet, yeah, but you're kidding yourself if you think the TA fuel discount is unique to FECC and that no other expedite carriers have the same exact program. Cause they do.

The rules with having to have your speed limiter set to keep your lease are a company specific problem.
Company specific, perhaps, but certainly not FECC unique. Many of these issues apply across the board, some only to specific carriers, very few to just one carrier. Believe it or not, pompoms aside, the expedite world does not begin and end with FECC.

There's a thread in the FECC forum right now about speed limiter information "direct from Canada" that absolutely effects everyone who goes to Canada. I've got a friend who is Canadian, drives a straight truck, and was just inspected on Friday, the whole shebang. He was going to post the details into that thread, but when he tried he found out that he couldn't because he isn't leased to FECC.

I told him to start a new thread. He said he would, if there was a way that FECC drivers could not read it, since "they have no interest in what I have to say, obviously."

That's the perception, and eventually perception becomes reality. Cheering for your carrier is great, just be careful about beating others about the head and shoulders with those pompoms.

Six of then twelve most recent threads in the FECC Carrier Forum do not apply uniquely to FECC at all, but, quite clearly, responses from non-FECCers are not welcome. That's either by design, or it's an unconscious confirmation of why people perceive many FECCers as they do.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be worth a chat that if a topic is not carrier specific, it should be moved to the appropriate forum. That would seem to eliminate the "golden". Just received a message a few days ago about this.
What say you?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Company specific spreadsheet, yeah, but you're kidding yourself if you think the TA fuel discount is unique to FECC and that no other expedite carriers have the same exact program. Cause they do.

Turtle there are many companies that have the same discount and have had it much longer then FCC has. The point was to get the word out to more FCC trucks that the discount is new to us and we need to take advantage of it.

The threads were FCC is telling all WG trucks get the ECM changed is company specific. I have not heard of any other companies implementing this policy.

There are plusses and minuses to having company threads. One of the problems that has happened in the past is when a company tries to discuss a specific company policy it gets diluted with too many replies that are not from FCC drivers. This really confuses many issues as you do not know who is writing from a company based policy perspective or just giving an opinion and they do not have the company resources to justify their opinion.

There are many Panther threads that are company specific that need Panther drivers input not a FCC driver input to confuse the issue more.

I see no reason on many of the issues as PJJJJ has done many times in the past ask a question in the open forum. This way there are two threads going and if you are just a lurker on here from FCC you can read both and know that in the FCC thread there are only FCC people replying. Then look at the thread in the General and realize that many people are replying from many different companies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Of course they should be moved to a more appropriate forum. Stuff gets moved from the General Forum to the Soapbox or whatever all the time. The OP should probably be consulted before moving one from a carrier-specific forum, tho, to find out for sure whether they do, indeed not want responses from those outside their carrier.

I still maintain that if you can read there, you should be able to post there. Carrier specific forums are great for collecting topics regarding carriers, but if the masses can read them, but not post to them, it's exclusionary and stifles discussion. If someone outside of a particular carrier posts a message that proves they don't know what they're talking about, so what? The response is likely to clear up questions that many readers may have about the same thing. The more we know about other carriers, good and bad, the better decisions we can make about those carriers. Besides, a question borne of ignorance may very well spark ideas and discussion never considered.

I would suggest that the carrier specific forums not be available to the masses, same as the Truck Wash, and for the same reasons, but there are many who may be interested in reading what others at their carrier have to say about an issue, but will not post to a carrier specific forum because they don't want the masses to know who they drive for. Nothing wrong with that, either.

So all forums except moderator forums should be open to all, reading and posting, or at the very least posts that aren't strictly carrier specific should be moved to where they are open to all.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am kind of in the middle on it. Sometimes I can see were something should stay company specific to keep from mudding the waters. It also eliminated some inaccurate information that may be posted from someone not from that carrier. Many times we have no clue who someone drives for. Maybe a duplicate in the appropriate forum for comment for others?
Or, like my example above, just move the entire thread.