*&^%^ Speed Limiters!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You're issue isn't with Ontario but with your carrier.

The issue is with Ontario (and Quebec) first and my carrier second. Had the provinces not passed the truck speed limiter law, there woudl be no issue.

guido4475

Not a Member
With auto and truck manufacturing pulling out of Canada, hardly seems worth the effort. As far as specialty freight, same problem. Just not enough up there to fool with. The Cat runs a seperate fleet of trucks up there, so for the moment, I hope they keep it that way. That seems like the logical way to address it.
That's kinda what I said earlier.Just dont run canada.I see it as not worth it. I havent run canada in 5 years, and I still grossed $137,000 last year as a single.No big loss to me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree. The only adjustment outside of having a "Canadian only" trucks is something that may be a reefer load.
Still no big deal. Just pick it up with a tractor and transfer the trailer to the Canadian truck at the border. Nothing complicated. If the load doesn't pay enough to run it with a tractor, probably isn't worth bothering with in the first place.

guido4475

Not a Member
I would take loads ultimately ending up in canada, but I would drop the load off at a few different trucking co's in romulus to take the rest of the way.I dont know if this is still true or not,but when I was in orientation for a quick hour in seville,I was told there was a separate contract for non-canada freight hauling trucks, and the rate was .05 cpm less for trucks staying in the u.s.They gave me a different contract at that point and I politely told them it is not needed and to have a nice day.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yes, it seems like the one air freight co that I always dropped at did alot of that.Real quick at getting the freight off of the truck.Real nice people.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Much of the freight we take on our truck, reefer or otherwise, cannot be transfered. The customer does not want that kind of service. WE will limit the truck. From the information Bob and Linda pasted on we don't expect to have a problem since we drive the same as they do. IF it becomes a problem or we find it is not worth the hassle we will change it back. Then we will have to decide what to do with the truck. It is a bad law.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD HAVE US TO PUT IT ON, THEN IN THE WEEKLY BULLITEN THAT PUT IT ON TO GO AND TAKE IT OFF WHEN YOU COME OUT. WE HAVE TO SEND A LETTER FROM DEALER WHO TURNED IT DOWN. IS THIS JUST A WAY FOR THEM TO SAY 'OUR TRUCKS HAVE THEM TO CUSTOMERS OR ETC' . WHY NOT JUST PAY DEALER A FEW TO SAY THEY DID WHEN THEY DIDNT, CAUSE IF YA AINT GONNA GO WHY SPEED THE MONEY, CAN ANY ONE SAY GANGSTERS...:mad:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it is on a trailer, it isn't transferred out of the trailer. Like a sealed load. Only the power unit is switched.
Customer still gets the same service.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
With auto and truck manufacturing pulling out of Canada, hardly seems worth the effort. As far as specialty freight, same problem. Just not enough up there to fool with. The Cat runs a seperate fleet of trucks up there, so for the moment, I hope they keep it that way. That seems like the logical way to address it.

Once again Dave Panther might not have much freight in Canada but FedEx Custom Critical does and much of it is on a sealed truck. FCC also has a fleet of trucks that run Canada but that does not solve this problem of a sealed straight truck.

Your logical reply is for Panther and it sounds as if it will work for Panther but that is not how FCC has planned to deal with this problem.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Has anyone seen what the fines are if you are caught in Ontario or Quebec without the speed limiter?

guido4475

Not a Member
I can't give you excact figures, but I once read where they are pretty steep.I think by telling drivers they have no choice on installing speed limiters on their trucks,it is just one more step towards removing our freedom from us.That is why I could never understand why any one would want to be leased to a co such as swift or england, where they even require their o/o's to govern their trucks the same as their co. trucks.Why become an o/o if your truck cant be run the way, you, the owner who operates your truck,wants to?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In my own thoughts when you lease on to a company you agree to their procedures. If you do not like their procedures then you can find a new company or if you want to write your own procedures get your own authority.

Right now there is a lot more trucks then freight so our position is very week the shippers are writing the rules but that will change in time as the pendulum will swing back our way.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me neither.....it would appear to be more a demand then a request....by changing a requirement to me would be equivelent to changing the contract one signed.....Making it a condition of the contract....It maybe the same as when the Feds changed the rates for cargo vans....many thought the date was firm...BUT the rates appear to change when the O/O's contract expires instead....so some are still on the old rate for now....
and this comes from some of the old timer van owners for fedex....these are the ones that pushed back against the rate drop and fedex relented and said ok....when your contractexpires it will be a condition..sign or move on....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my own thoughts when you lease on to a company you agree to their procedures. If you do not like their procedures then you can find a new company or if you want to write your own procedures get your own authority.

Right now there is a lot more trucks then freight so our position is very week the shippers are writing the rules but that will change in time as the pendulum will swing back our way.

When they change the procedures in mid stream is a different thing Linda...when you signed on this wasn't a requirement....now it is....
I know they gave you the required 30 day notice of the change...didn't they? And it was added to the contract as a condition?

In defense of Fedex...They didn't force anything....

They gave notice as required by contract...that a change of procedure was coming....all legal like...

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
And in the meantime if there is a new contract van/driver sitting near an old contract driver, they utilize the cheaper truck first, right? Maybe not at all of the big co's, but I have seen it happen.Remeber the movie "Fist?" where the union was strong arming the co's to join the union? That is what is happening now, in a nonchalont way, believe it or not.Little by little, till we have no freedom left.So when the time comes where we cant take a crap without someone there to watch us happens, the people that let things happen, one by one, will be whining, where did my freedom go? and just wonder.

guido4475

Not a Member
So they did things the right and correct way.I worked at a co. in N.C. that didnt do that, they actually had me stop at a truckstop enroute during a delivery, to pick up a new contract and sign it before I got rolling again, or transfer the load onto another truck. They did that with quite a few of us.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And in the meantime if there is a new contract van/driver sitting near an old contract driver, they utilize the cheaper truck first, right? Maybe not at all of the big co's, but I have seen it happen.Remeber the movie "Fist?" where the union was strong arming the co's to join the union? That is what is happening now, in a nonchalont way, believe it or not.Little by little, till we have no freedom left.So when the time comes where we cant take a crap without someone there to watch us happens, the people that let things happen, one by one, will be whining, where did my freedom go? and just wonder.

Look at Panther there is about 5 different contracts floating around out there...they don't have the nerve to cancel them out.....some are making .85 some are .80, .77 .70.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

As Linda said right now these carriers have the upper hand..They are really pushing....most of us out here are all 50 plus.....we can't all be Walmart greeters....*L*

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So they did things the right and correct way.I worked at a co. in N.C. that didn't do that, they actually had me stop at a truckstop enroute during a delivery, to pick up a new contract and sign it before I got rolling again, or transfer the load onto another truck. They did that with quite a few of us.

Only from the stories from some Fedexer's that I've heard....They pushed back, stood their ground.....IF they just accepted it as gospel...they'd be working cheaper....