*&^%^ Speed Limiters!!

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
Have your cake and eat it too. Australia limited truck speeds and an inventor came up with this solution.

Check out FasterTruck - SafetyPass Pro - Speed Limiter Control Kit for Custom Big-Rigs.

Works with the following truck/engine combos:

Truck Models include: 1992 through 2008 Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Volvo, Western Star, Sterling, International Navistar and others with Cat, Cummins, Detroit or Volvo engines.

ECM's: Cat Acert, Cummins Celect, ISX, Detroit DDEC 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and Volvo VE D12 through VE D16 engine control modules.

Transmissions: Manual 6 thru 18 speed Eaton - Fuller, Rockwell, Spicer, Meritor transmissions.

Can't vouch for the device but it appears to allow you to meet Canadian province speed limiting rules and drive at speed limits in the U.S.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Have your cake and eat it too. Australia limited truck speeds and an inventor came up with this solution.

Check out FasterTruck - SafetyPass Pro - Speed Limiter Control Kit for Custom Big-Rigs.

Truck Models include: 1992 through 2008 Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Volvo, Western Star, Sterling, International Navistar and others with Cat, Cummins, Detroit or Volvo engines.

ECM's: Cat Acert, Cummins Celect, ISX, Detroit DDEC 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and Volvo VE D12 through VE D16 engine control modules.

Transmissions: Manual 6 thru 18 speed Eaton - Fuller, Rockwell, Spicer, Meritor transmissions.

Can't vouch for the device but it appears to allow you to meet Canadian province speed limiting rules and drive at speed limits in the U.S.

It doesn't met the Ontario requirements. They require the change in the ecm without any device to alter that setting or the ability of the ecm to limit the speed. In effect the messing with the output of the transmission speed sensor does just that, alters the data so the ecm is fooled in thinking that the truck is going slower.

greg334 in another post said:
Again there are other ways to screw with the ecm, like disconnect the speed sensor or delay the timing of it but in fact can mess other things up within the ECM if there are some related timing issues for other functions.

This device is well known in other areas of electronics and nothing new, it delays the timing of the pulses of the data from the sensor. If you want a detailed explanation, I can provide it but it looks like a simple micro-controller that is programmed to lengthen the pulses and retransmitting them to the ecm.

But I have heard something interesting from Cat the other day, I just didn't read it right. They were asked by or government if it easy for Cat to come up with a change in their ECM firmware that 'charts' the rpms vs. road speed and use that to ensure there is no tampering of the speed sensor for on highway trucks. I would imagine this is coming from the Obama administration for a national highway speed limit. I haven't asked Cummins or DD about this but it is very possible.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Dreammaker...don't sweat it.....

These guys will pizz, groan and moan about it...talk it to death...like there is what 4-5 different threads already....and then they will comply in the end!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh Greg, you can bet Obama wants to limit us on a National level. ALL these "Left Wing Wackos" are into this sort of thing. We are the blame for "Global Warming" you know. Maybe if all polititions shut thier faces the globe would cool down. :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh Greg, you can bet Obama wants to limit us on a National level. ALL these "Left Wing Wackos" are into this sort of thing. We are the blame for "Global Warming" you know. Maybe if all polititions shut thier faces the globe would cool down. :rolleyes:

In a way it would be nice to have a uniform speed limit..they are federal highways aren't they:confused:......and take away the scales from state control.....this half federal and half state thingee is crazy....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Too much like Nazi Germany for my tastes. I just don't trust Washington. What ever they do it will hurt our business and freedoms. STATE RIGHTS RULE!! Except for the wackos in Califonia. They should be walled off and left to rot on the vine. LOL!! In fine form again today, eh? :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Too much like Nazi Germany for my tastes. I just don't trust Washington. What ever they do it will hurt our business and freedoms. STATE RIGHTS RULE!! Except for the wackos in Califonia. They should be walled off and left to rot on the vine. LOL!! In fine form again today, eh? :rolleyes:

Do you have a permit for that EH?....Ontario issues them for 20 bucks....*LOL*

BUT interstates are federal highways.....if the STATE rules then no federal money should go to them....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be nice of the feds managed the interstates....one set of rules across the land....no tolls...every scalehouse same rules... some consistancy...a highway for every citizen....

In Ontario the 407 toll road..the company that owns the road....pays the province to police the highway...

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Feds do not maintain them or police them. The States have the right to set speed limits. I am all for telling the Feds to "Stick It" They are doing a horrible job on the roads and most everything else they do. Just a bunch of bullies. For the most part they suck. STICK IT IN YOUR EAR BARRY!!
Man, that was fun!!! See what a really fun night on the town can do for you spirits? LOL!!!! :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Feds do not maintain them or police them. The States have the right to set speed limits. I am all for telling the Feds to "Stick It" They are doing a horrible job on the roads and most everything else they do. Just a bunch of bullies. For the most part they suck. STICK IT IN YOUR EAR BARRY!!
Man, that was fun!!! See what a really fun night on the town can do for you spirits? LOL!!!! :D

You are on a roll buddy!!*LOL*

They call them a national highway for some reason..

Aren't they just a federal right of way thru state land?

Come on now....your a fed person....you believe in UNIFORMity...*LOL*

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF the Feds want to set speed limits on the Interstate Defense Highway system, let them. They should then have to take over those highways totally. Law inforcement, emergency services, road maintenece of all kinds etc. Either they do it all or they do nothing. The States should not have to pay for Federal assests. The Feds are costing the States WAY too much in general. Between thier stupid laws, un-funded mandates, welfare rules, unemployment rules, Medicare, Medicade, not to mention the jobs lost to areas with National forests. You know, the Feds just, SUCK!!! So there!! :eek:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

The speed limiter push in the U.S. is coming mostly from the ATA is it not? I might be wrong, but I presume (unresearched) the executives who run and represent the ATA have a big-business, Republican bias.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was responding to Greg's post about the Obama adminstrations inquiry. Obama will want this for the so-called "green" part. The ATA to control thier costs and I think that they think it MIGHT run more indepentents out of businees. The Teamsters would like that, they would love to force ALL drivers to be union, Obama wants that too. THE WORLD HATES intependant O/O!!! LOL :mad::rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think it is a ploy to take our guns away too and let the Russians take over heavy trucking in the US!!! :rolleyes: