*&^%^ Speed Limiters!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now that we have little choice in the matter of limiting or not limiting our truck can someone please explain these goofy things to me? I read in here that some are saying that they are losing fuel mileage and performance. Can this happen? With all engines?

I have an MBE4000-450. I spoke with a mechanic the other day and asked him these very questions. His answer was I should see no diference EXCEPT in my top speed. The way he explained it to me was that only 10th gear was affected and NOT the RPM's only the speed. He explained that the other 9 gears will not have thier RPM's affected either.

If he is correct then how will I lose mileage and performance, like when coming down an on ramp or climbing hills?

Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Joe..don't have a heart attack....consider the source...someone who doesn't have one on that heard it in another conversation...:D...

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Now that we have little choice in the matter of limiting or not limiting our truck . . .

Layoutshooter

but we do have a choice and we must act soon! Canadian law is now dictating how I operate my business. These speed limiters are the equivelant of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs) because they are destroying the way I chose to drive.

We must call on our Government to invade Canada once and for all and make it a US territory. Problem solved. It would also solve some other issues.

1) No border crossing issues. Freely pass back and forth just like another state.
2) No health care reform. Any American that wants socialized health care can drive up and be seen.

This post is considered humurous satire by it's very bored author is not meant to offend any of our Canadian friends.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am trying to consider the source and or sources. I just want some first hand answers. Is anyone out there running a limited truck? Have you noticed any loss of performance on hills? Accelerating on ramps? Any loss in mileage? Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am trying to consider the source and or sources. I just want some first hand answers. Is anyone out there running a limited truck? Have you noticed any loss of performance on hills? Accelerating on ramps? Any loss in mileage? Layoutshooter

Nope I haven't....BUT you will know soon!! *LOL*
Lucky you....:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks a lot buddy!!!!! LOL! I can hardly wait. I love being looked upon as being too stupid to drive at or under the speed limit without an on board nanny and/or they assuming that I intend to break the law. You know, assumption of guilt rather than assumption of innocence. I am just soooo happy to see that Canadian polititions are just as overbearing and corrupt as U.S. polititions are. Sleeze one and all.

I will let you know just how it affects us, good or bad. I still am really concerned about the loss of the use of my engine to get me out of trouble if I need it. Only 3 tools to avoid an accident rather than 4. That only leaves me 75% of my avoidence capability. That is a very large loss.

Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drove a speed limited truck a Mack straight..in 84 in them days they called them governed....what a piece of crap....

Just have to slow down and save some pedal to get back that 25% Joe....adjust your driving habits..you'll be fine:)

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Layoutshooter,
We were "fixed" at the first of April and have been cross country several times.
I have not noted any performance issues at all. Still zip up the mountains, still accelerate at same pace.
Don't see any issue that you have been anticipating.

The only issue we have had is looking at the back door of a SWIFT truck for 2000 miles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Layoutshooter,
We were "fixed" at the first of April and have been cross country several times.
I have not noted any performance issues at all. Still zip up the mountains, still accelerate at same pace.
Don't see any issue that you have been anticipating.

The only issue we have had is looking at the back door of a SWIFT truck for 2000 miles.

Whats that one from Iowa....Cedar Rapids....anyhow their slogan "Reflecting Quality" I'd love to shove that quality up their kazoo for them shiny reflective rear doors and the suns behind you!! Almost blinds ya!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you so much for the information Humble, that is the kind of input I was looking for. I hear lots of rumors but little first hand stuff. What kind/size engine and tranny? Layoutshooter

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Went to Quebec over a week ago and had the fun of watching two governed trucks doing the side by side shuffle for a few miles as one tried to pass the other. Neither one lost much on the small hills so it was a tight race but finally one won out (not the day & ross guy).

Limiters today should only work for the top speed and not rpm in other gears etc. Older governors used to limit rpm and in doing so did affect hill climbing, shift points etc. A company I used to haul for had an int'l tractor with a governor and in testing with different settings they found no effect with fuel economy with the setting higher or lower. The fuel consumption mattered more about winds, actual speed and load (speed limitation set to 110kph and higher settings for testing) and of course driver driving style. Anything speeds over 105-110kph eat fuel no matter what the limit was set for.
Rob

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I almost always drive below the speed dictated by ON and QC. I drive with two major goals in mind, safety and fuel mileage. I do enjoy the peace of mind knowing that I have a LOT of engine left to get me out of trouble fast if the situation requires that. Once my engine is "castrated" that feeling will be replaced with a nagging feeling that I can no longer "get the heck out of Dodge" if need be.

You have the answer to the problem. This will cause a mess on the roads with trucks not being able to get spread out. We just need to fill ALL the lanes with speed limited trucks. Then all the 4 wheelers would be forced to drive at legal speeds as well. Man, can you picture the mess? What fun!!!

LOL!! It is sure something to think about!! :D Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Joe trucks have had governors on them for years this is no different.

You are getting all worked up in lather over nothing. When the speed limits where 70 mph JB Hunt was able to drive 55 and I believe Yellow was the same way. When Bob drove for USX those trucks were governed at 62 mph.

Causing a rolling road block will just get you a ticket and your point will be lost and will just make the other drivers and motorists mad.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, I know that, I was just musing, it really would be a lot of fun!!

I am not in a panic over this either. I do have serious safety concerns. The entire idea goes against everything that I was taught on how to drive.

I was taught that there are 4 main tools to accident avoidence. 1: your brain, think and drive ahead of where you are at all times. 2: your steering, always try to steer out of trouble early. 3: your brakes, always brake early and evenly when trying to avoid a problem and 4: your accelerator, there will be situations that require quick acceleration to avoid an accident.

That 4th one is my concern. Since I started driving back in 1967 I have had to use my accelerator on many occassions to get out of trouble. Even since we have been in this truck I have accelerated to speeds above 65mph to get out of an impending accident. I am well aware that these things are very rare. Rare does not matter if we get involved in a serious accident because of the loss of the top end of our engine. It can happen and will happen to someone as a result of this. I pray that no one is killed but that most likely will happen someday as well.

I will be forced to re-learn how to drive. It will not be easy. Trying to un-learn habbits formed over more than 40 years of driving will be difficult. It will not happen over night, it is a process that will take many years. It took many years to learn how to drive the way I do now. My current practices serve me very well and the change will be a real challenge.

It is never a good thing to lose a valid accident avoidence capability.

I will adapt. I always have. Layoutshooter

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . . I have had to use my accelerator on many occassions to get out of trouble. Even since we have been in this truck I have accelerated to speeds above 65mph to get out of an impending accident. . .

I can't help myself. Curiousity has the best of me here. Can you give an example of when you had to use your accelerator to get out of trouble.

The only circumstance I can remember was when I was passing another TT on the interstate and he started weaving wildly.
My wife said "Hurry up and get past this nut" so I did.
A few minutes later I told the Ohio State Trooper the story but he was unimpressed and awarded me a ticket.
Apparently, the Trooper was not married or he would have understood.
This was 17 years ago and I still get a kick out of teasing the Mrs. for contributing to my one and only ticket.
Anyway, I could just as easily have hit the brakes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are certainly times when a tractor-trailer would need to accelerate in order to prevent a jackknife.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I almost always drive below the speed dictated by ON and QC. I drive with two major goals in mind, safety and fuel mileage. I do enjoy the peace of mind knowing that I have a LOT of engine left to get me out of trouble fast if the situation requires that. Once my engine is "castrated" that feeling will be replaced with a nagging feeling that I can no longer "get the heck out of Dodge" if need be.

You have the answer to the problem. This will cause a mess on the roads with trucks not being able to get spread out. We just need to fill ALL the lanes with speed limited trucks. Then all the 4 wheelers would be forced to drive at legal speeds as well. Man, can you picture the mess? What fun!!!

LOL!! It is sure something to think about!! :D Layoutshooter

I have seen no disruption of traffic at all in Ontario due to the limiters . Some drivers run the limited speed , others stay below it at the speed limit . Different gearing and load weight keeps trucks from running together when congestion clears . Much of the Ontario highway system is 3 lane with trucks prohibited from the third lane . Is it wise to run both lanes and force trucks to stay in the right lane dealing with traffic braking for and merging from ramps or approaching an emergency vehicles on the shoulder ?