*&^%^ Speed Limiters!!

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I can't help myself. Curiousity has the best of me here. Can you give an example of when you had to use your accelerator to get out of trouble.

The only circumstance I can remember was when I was passing another TT on the interstate and he started weaving wildly.
My wife said "Hurry up and get past this nut" so I did.
A few minutes later I told the Ohio State Trooper the story but he was unimpressed and awarded me a ticket.
Apparently, the Trooper was not married or he would have understood.
This was 17 years ago and I still get a kick out of teasing the Mrs. for contributing to my one and only ticket.
Anyway, I could just as easily have hit the brakes.

Michelin has a safety video teaching to accelerate to maintain control when a tire blows . To maintain ability to accelerate simply drive below the governed speed .

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
We must call on our Government to invade Canada once and for all and make it a US territory. Problem solved. It would also solve some other issues.

1) No border crossing issues. Freely pass back and forth just like another state.
2) No health care reform. Any American that wants socialized health care can drive up and be seen.

3) pjjjjj would be able to live and work legally in a year-round warm state and be able to get Cholula whenever she felt like it

Works for me!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just about 2 weeks ago a TT started into my lane while I was still there. There was no lane to my left and traffice behind me. I was doing 62mph (my norm) at the time. I gave the truck all the pedal I had, I was doing 68mph when I got clear. I MIGHT not have made that move in time had I been limited to 65mph. It is the loss of a very important tool. The car that was traveling behind me was forced to lock up his brakes. I have no idea in the world what that TT driver us up too. There was no one for him to pass. Might have been distracted or something. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have to ask.

You're crossing the border and now in the states. You want to take that limit off so you can run the west in freedom - how much would you pay to remove it?

$25, $50, $75?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout, I already know what the dealers are charging, I am asking what you as an owner are willing to pay.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, sorry, I mis-read. IF I could get it done for $25 per change I might pay that. It would depend on how many Canadian runs I really get. I had only 6 offers for all of 2008. That is not even worth the effort to begin with. Layoutshooter

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Just about 2 weeks ago a TT started into my lane while I was still there. There was no lane to my left and traffice behind me. I was doing 62mph (my norm) at the time. I gave the truck all the pedal I had, I was doing 68mph when I got clear. I MIGHT not have made that move in time had I been limited to 65mph. It is the loss of a very important tool. The car that was traveling behind me was forced to lock up his brakes. I have no idea in the world what that TT driver us up too. There was no one for him to pass. Might have been distracted or something. Layoutshooter

Okay,
Not to be argumentative of course, BUT if a truck is heading into your lane he would arrive sooner than you can:

1) Perceive the situation
2) React to the situation and make a decision
3) Stomp the accelerator.
4) Increase your speed from 62mph to 68mph while
5) Travelling the distance it would require to pass a 63 ft foot vehicle.

unless

1) You have nitro fueled rocket boosters on your truck or
2) The TT was travelling at or below 45mph.

It seems like a quick blast of the horn would send him back into his lane.

Did that truck in fact end up completely in your lane or did he correct his position after he got his coffee cup and cigerette situated??

My point is not to discredit your example, but to realistically evaluate if safety is a viable argument against the speed limiter.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was almost past him, he would have hit me about 2/3 back of the box or so. I just go out quick. That is how I was taught to drive 40 odd years ago. Look at older posts for my 4 tools for accident avoidence. I will adapt.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Speed limiters have now surfaced as an election issue in Ontario. Some of the rules required by the law have yet to be written by the agencies legally required to write them. See this.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I find it quirky that people are complaining that they can only break the official legal speed limit by 5 kilometers...so what is it? you want to break the law by more?

The official speed limit is 100kph and they are allowing you 105....gee whats your problem?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Very interesting stuff Phil, be sure to thank Diane for doing all this research. I have a question, I have NOT been able to find the equipment to change the speed settings that they mention often in the Canadian artical. They mention a price tag of $1000-2000, a lot of money. Freightliner tells me that there is no such equipment out there and the software, only available to certified repair places, is over TEN GRAND per copy. Anyone found out any different?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Very interesting stuff Phil, be sure to thank Diane for doing all this research. I have a question, I have NOT been able to find the equipment to change the speed settings that they mention often in the Canadian artical. They mention a price tag of $1000-2000, a lot of money. Freightliner tells me that there is no such equipment out there and the software, only available to certified repair places, is over TEN GRAND per copy. Anyone found out any different?

They may not know where to look but it is out there.

The freightliner dealer, like most dealers wants everyone to think that it something exclusive to them - that's all I am going to say about this because I have a reason to keep it all to myself.

It seems FedEx has the problem here, no one else and with WG, so maybe the Phantom Council needs to sit down with the leadership of FedEx and come up with a serious comprimise....

guido4475

Not a Member
So let me get this straight: The only way that I know of for truck speed limitation is to change the setting on the ECM. Am I missing something?Is there a different device that is added on the truck to do this as a result of the law requiring trucks to do only what they require? When I bought my truck the ecm speed was set at 78mph.I took it to peterbuilt in el paso and for $90.00 they changed the perimeters to what I wanted: everything wide open.All they did was plug their laptop into my ecm port.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So let me get this straight: The only way that I know of for truck speed limitation is to change the setting on the ECM.

YES, that is the only proper way.

Is there a different device that is added on the truck to do this as a result of the law requiring trucks to do only what they require?

Again there are other ways to screw with the ecm, like disconnect the speed sensor or delay the timing of it but in fact can mess other things up within the ECM if there are some related timing issues for other functions.

There is little to do but to change the setting through the port that is under the dash. The ECM controls a lot more than you would ever imagine.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is just a plug in and "flash" the ECM. Greg, if you know where to find this stuff can you please post it? I have NOT been able to find a thing on it anywhere.

OVM, It is NOT in ON or QC it is the rest of the world. It is also just the idea of it. You know, goverment garbage. It is just the idea that "THEY" think that either I am too STUPID to drive within set speed limits without an electronic nanny or the idea that they ASSUME that I am going to break the law, assuption of guilt rather than innocence. You know, just like with random drug testing. They assume you are a doper and therefor test you to catch you at it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is just a plug in and "flash" the ECM. Greg, if you know where to find this stuff can you please post it? I have NOT been able to find a thing on it anywhere.

OVM, It is NOT in ON or QC it is the rest of the world. It is also just the idea of it. You know, goverment garbage. It is just the idea that "THEY" think that either I am too STUPID to drive within set speed limits without an electronic nanny or the idea that they ASSUME that I am going to break the law, assuption of guilt rather than innocence. You know, just like with random drug testing. They assume you are a doper and therefor test you to catch you at it.

I know what you are saying Joe...some people it effects more then others....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I find it quirky that people are complaining that they can only break the official legal speed limit by 5 kilometers...so what is it? you want to break the law by more?

The official speed limit is 100kph and they are allowing you 105....gee whats your problem?

The problem is speed limits in many U.S. states are higher than 105 kph (65 mph) and it does not sit well to limit the truck under the laws of two provinces that we rarely enter.

Diane and I drive slower than many drivers to conserve fuel. Our customary open-road cruising speed is 55-60 mph. But there are times when faster speeds are desirable. Here is a recent example:

On a run from Washington state to New York, the route took us through Minneapolis, Minnesota. That is our home express center and Diane's dentist is there. Due to have her braces adjusted, she called ahead to see if she could get an appointment. If that could happen, it would save us going out of service for two days and flying her home from wherever we happened to be a few days later.

The dentist was unsure when we called a day ahead of time. The next morning, and as we just crossed the North Dakota/Minnesota line, we called again and the dentist said he could get her in if we arrived at a certain time. We could, but only if we ran at the posted speed limit (70 mph) from the border to the the Twin Cities area where the speed limit declined to 60 and 55 mph.

The extra money we spent on fuel driving 70 mph more than offset the money we would have lost to go out of service for two days and paid to fly Diane home and back. Had the truck been speed limited, we would not have been able to use the posted speed limit to our significant financial advantage.

Such circumstances do not happen often, but they do happen. So, to answer your question, limiting the top speed of the truck is a problem that manifests itself in ways that cannot be predicted or always quantified but remains a problem nevertheless.

Another example comes to mind. Again, this is not something that happens often but it does happen. Driving at speeds above 65 mph got us to a delivery before the shipper closed when driving slower would not have. The difference is getting freight off the truck sooner, which builds dwell time earlier, puts you ahead of other trucks and gets you dispatched on the next load quicker.

Non-financial issues also come to mind. As I write this, we are deadheading home to pick up a load. It happens that the shipper is very close to home. The deadhead is a full day drive. It is not happening now, but it could. In slightly different circumstances, if family or friends were gathering for a Friday night dinner or event, we might be able to join them it if we drove at the posted speed limit. We would not in a speed-limited truck.

It is easy to imagine a number of scenarios where speed may be desired or essential to get to a desired or family emergency event at home.

Short story: It plain sucks to buy and operate a truck and then limit it to speeds below the posted speed limit, even if you normally cruise well below the posted speeds.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some people are just pre-programed "drones" They just accept every loss of freedom and accept control over thier lifes. Then there are those of us who believe that the government is WAY out of control and thier power should be curtailed. We are suspossed to control them. They seem to have forgotten that. We are thier employers, not the other way around.