Rand McNally TND 700

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
My second post in this thread started to point things at the computer and not at the TND. And I still think that's where the problem lies.

And justifies the reason I typically find your post educational and honestly informational.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Soooo 14wheeler, is this what you do in your spare time, try to figure out how to bash me?

Who cares?

You act just like a reincarnation of someone else and I think people get more turned off by you focusing on me rather than anything I say. I don't doubt you can help a lot of people but crap don't let me stop you.

Mark, I will keep this part as short as I can.

Last week I wrapped up the circuit design, firmware and board design of one of my pet project. I sold the design to a local company who is in the middle of development of a product for this industry. My design will be part of the interface of their product and has a couple unique features.

This entire thread and others that were found has been used to provide me with proof that there has to be a solid customer service program within the company in order not to crap on the customers who buy the product.

What mattered to me is driving home the idea that people saw what was going on here and saw it was the wrong approach to post purchase support.

My pet project matters to this subject for a few reasons, one is I also tested on a lot of laptops and had ZERO issues with USB communications. This included 64 bit/32 bit, Windows XP through 7, Linux (pick a flavor), Solaris and Mac - no problems at all. I also tested the standalone prototype which uses an OLE display and rechargeable battery and still not one problem.

As a sidebar, if you read my comments on how I assume the power path is designed in the RM unit, it is because I worked with the same vendor who supposedly supplied the power management chips for the unit - Microchip. If I'm wrong, it is only because they said they were the supplier.

You can think this next part is BS but for some reason I had the nerve to send one of the USB prototypes to HP to test. I had this idea back in January to get some big name involved to see if they can find anything wrong. Amazingly all I had to do is ask and meet their requirements - documentation and a test configuration is all they asked. Next week HP will send it to Panasonic to test with their new line of Toughbooks. So I find the idea that RM could not get it tested with all these laptops some line of BS. I am just one little old fart person, and all I had to do is ask.

I can tell you a lot more but I would think you think it would be a bunch of BS because I won't produce pictures or provide proof like some want to see.

So I wish you luck on you 'solution'. I've got to get some sleep, been a long, exciting and entertaining day - thanks again.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As I think I understand the logic behind Turtle's suggestion of a multiport hub, I just got one - no luck with that, either. But it does solve the problem of the USB ports being so close together, at least.
Now I'm just gonna get an MP3 player, and hope Win7 can 'see' THAT. :mad:

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
As I think I understand the logic behind Turtle's suggestion of a multiport hub, I just got one - no luck with that, either. But it does solve the problem of the USB ports being so close together, at least.
Now I'm just gonna get an MP3 player, and hope Win7 can 'see' THAT. :mad:

Is it just a USB hub or an Powered USB Hub? The USB Hub still draws the power off the laptop, but the Powered USB Hub plugs into AC and provides the DC\mA instead of the laptop.

Mark

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mission accomplished!!!
Except not the way I thought - instead of buying an MP3, I got a micro SD card, [the 'outside drive' did appear on the screen, though I'd never used the port on the Nuvi before] and used Windows Media player to sync the file to the SD card, and that worked - the audiobook is now on the Garmin.
Sorry it probably won't help with the original problem, but I am happy to have had some help in figuring it all out.
Thanks to Turtle, Greg, and Mark - you guys are all great! :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is it just a USB hub or an Powered USB Hub? The USB Hub still draws the power off the laptop, but the Powered USB Hub plugs into AC and provides the DC\mA instead of the laptop.
That was my next question, too. It's not so much a power issue, but a different IO range and memory address is assigned by the OS depending on whether an external hub is powered or not. If it's unpowered, it will often share an IRQ with a USB Host Controller and something not USB-related, like a WiFi Controller or a PCI Controller. When that happens, IO address conflicts are common.

When the hub is powered, different IRQ shares are handed out, resulting in different IO addresses.

Sometimes, you need to have the problematic device already plugged into the computer before you turn it on, so the BIOS will assign hardware requests and IO addresses at the POST, and then the OS will accept them and pass them through.

I have an opposite problem, where if my printer is turned on before the laptop is, the laptop won't even POST, much less boot up. Turn off the printer, turn on the laptop, then turn the printer back on after Windows has booted, and it all works.

But, it's good to know Cheri's problem is fixed, and that it can be traced to a malfunctioning technotard between the keyboard and the seat. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But, it's good to know Cheri's problem is fixed, and that it can be traced to a malfunctioning technotard between the keyboard and the seat. :D

[Shrugs] If the flipflop fits, I'm way too cheerful to take offense. Because I solved the problem, not you guys.
[And because I'll need to ask for help again, one day, lol...];)

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Soooo 14wheeler, is this what you do in your spare time, try to figure out how to bash me?

Who cares?

You act just like a reincarnation of someone else and I think people get more turned off by you focusing on me rather than anything I say. I don't doubt you can help a lot of people but crap don't let me stop you.

Mark, I will keep this part as short as I can.

Last week I wrapped up the circuit design, firmware and board design of one of my pet project. I sold the design to a local company who is in the middle of development of a product for this industry. My design will be part of the interface of their product and has a couple unique features.

This entire thread and others that were found has been used to provide me with proof that there has to be a solid customer service program within the company in order not to crap on the customers who buy the product.

What mattered to me is driving home the idea that people saw what was going on here and saw it was the wrong approach to post purchase support.

My pet project matters to this subject for a few reasons, one is I also tested on a lot of laptops and had ZERO issues with USB communications. This included 64 bit/32 bit, Windows XP through 7, Linux (pick a flavor), Solaris and Mac - no problems at all. I also tested the standalone prototype which uses an OLE display and rechargeable battery and still not one problem.

As a sidebar, if you read my comments on how I assume the power path is designed in the RM unit, it is because I worked with the same vendor who supposedly supplied the power management chips for the unit - Microchip. If I'm wrong, it is only because they said they were the supplier.

You can think this next part is BS but for some reason I had the nerve to send one of the USB prototypes to HP to test. I had this idea back in January to get some big name involved to see if they can find anything wrong. Amazingly all I had to do is ask and meet their requirements - documentation and a test configuration is all they asked. Next week HP will send it to Panasonic to test with their new line of Toughbooks. So I find the idea that RM could not get it tested with all these laptops some line of BS. I am just one little old fart person, and all I had to do is ask.

I can tell you a lot more but I would think you think it would be a bunch of BS because I won't produce pictures or provide proof like some want to see.

So I wish you luck on you 'solution'. I've got to get some sleep, been a long, exciting and entertaining day - thanks again.

Heres the thing greg, you want us to believe you know something. You have a line on everything.
But heres the thing greg, a lot of us know the common facts you turn into a thesis.
You are becoming boring.
Thats the thing.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Boring?? becareful, he quit posting here a while back, then came back......you might drive him away again....

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well still no fix for the TND 700 so do not recommend anyone buying it until they fix it

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I get a kick out of the attention I get.

Problem solved?

NOPE.

Made a lot of noise?

Yep.

Hope others read my comments and don't buy this defective product.

Don't care what any of my fan club thinks, it matters that the noise puts a thorn in peoples a**es to produce a better product.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I get a kick out of the attention I get.

Problem solved?

NOPE.

Made a lot of noise?

Yep.

Hope others read my comments and don't buy this defective product.

Don't care what any of my fan club thinks, it matters that the noise puts a thorn in peoples a**es to produce a better product.
I was looking at buying the 500 and have decided against it at this time due to this thread. So thank you Greg:)
I also was looking at the Garmin 465T since I have a Garmin now and have decided against that one also
Mine works just needs a map update so will probably buy a similar one since I can't justify spending the money on a map upgrade for a GPS that cost me $150 three year back

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
and I ordered a new garmin, and it's waiting for me at my mailbox. I'll save the nuvi 200 as my emergency backup/nightlight.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
and I ordered a new garmin, and it's waiting for me at my mailbox. I'll save the nuvi 200 as my emergency backup/nightlight.

eb

200w is what I have and have been quite happy with it. Due to the amount of residential deliveries I do, I need a new map almost yearly, although my Droid is helpful when the GPS fails

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Dakota this thread is about the 700 as far as I know everyone that has the 500 is happy with it check the TND 500 thread