Rand McNally TND 700

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Update on my 700. I like the unit overall but my concern is the unit has frozen up 3 or 4 times and had to reset the unit each time. Yesterday the screen went dark for a second or two twice

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well my 700 froze up 2 more times and had to reset it , too bad they wont let you register the unit online they make you fill out a louzy post card and send it snail mail, well I guess some one has to give the post office some work :D

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Updates
Ver 1.0.81.0 of the TND Dock is available.
Ver 1760 is available
Maps are available.

Please when you download, say YES to the TND Dock update. This will allow you to get to the map updates.

If you do not have the time to download 2.6 GB (approx 4-12 hrs), then wait till you are at a high speed network.

Remember this will take up 1/2 of your bandwidth if you are on a 5 GB monthly allotment.

Thanks and happy updating.

Mark

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well my 700 froze up 2 more times and had to reset it , too bad they wont let you register the unit online they make you fill out a louzy post card and send it snail mail, well I guess some one has to give the post office some work :D

I'm assuming this unit is plugged into a lighter socket and not hardwired?

If so, and if you get a chance, try it in a different vehicle and see if it still freezes up. Some vehicles don't always put out "clean" or even sufficient power to the lighter socket.

The McNally unit might just be a little more sensitive to it than other brands.

Just trying to eliminate a possibility.

I too have high hopes for this unit and was seriously thinking of purchasing one, especially now with the new "E" revision, but to hear you are still having problems, I will wait. Please continue testing!

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well I see the price of the 700 as come down to $450 wonder if it will drop any more before Christmas???

lappir

Seasoned Expediter
Picked up one at a TA in Denver, used it for a trip to Kansas and immediatly after updating it the Power button would not work. (couldn't turn it off. ) Button finally fell into the unit. Was able to get another one at the Same TA but haven't used it yet. Am trying to "update" it but nothing is working. Don't have a good internet connection at home so am trying at work. Not real happy right now with the purchase. It did ok on the half trip,

I'm Rod, I pull a 45 ft RV with my Heavy Duty truck (2001 Volvo 770) Want to have an extra set of eyes for the low overpasses.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Picked up one at a TA in Denver, used it for a trip to Kansas and immediatly after updating it the Power button would not work. (couldn't turn it off. ) Button finally fell into the unit. Was able to get another one at the Same TA but haven't used it yet. Am trying to "update" it but nothing is working. Don't have a good internet connection at home so am trying at work. Not real happy right now with the purchase. It did ok on the half trip,

I'm Rod, I pull a 45 ft RV with my Heavy Duty truck (2001 Volvo 770) Want to have an extra set of eyes for the low overpasses.

Sounds like when it would not shut off it was frozen if it happens again and it wont do anything shut off or change menu or anything you need to reset it on the side where the power plug/usb plugs in there is a small opening which you can use the oh heck what s it called? look s like a pencil/pen in the slot on the back of the 700 to push the reset button. Hopefully your model number is T7E or later on the back of the unit