Rand McNally TND 700

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
asked about it at pilot after seeing the ad in the mens advertising room. fella said it wasn't in yet. expecting it on the truck this week.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is it a 500 with a larger screen or are there other differences as well?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
from what i have read the 700 has a Hi-Def screen for better map quality, they added a calender, and a note pad feature with a stylus so you can write on it for some reason...other then that it seems to have the same basic features as the 500...but this is only from reading other sights, so i don't know for sure...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
from what i have read the 700 has a Hi-Def screen for better map quality, they added a calender, and a note pad feature with a stylus so you can write on it for some reason...other then that it seems to have the same basic features as the 500...but this is only from reading other sights, so i don't know for sure...

The 7" is much easier to read. I can see it without my glasses!! The stylus is great. It makes life easy.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought one at the TA in Laredo May 4. Worked for bout a week until I shut it off and turned it back on again to soon. Screen came up saying "System File Missing" call customer support.
Customer support is 9-5 Mon- Fri. only. Apparently they are not aware their customers work 24-7-365 but thats another story. Customer support tells me to return the unit to TA which I did and TA gave me another one. This one lasted a week before the System File Missing. I now knew to return it which I did once more. The third unit went bad while trying to download the update feature to my Laptop.
Customer Support when contacted said to get another one and not to try and Update it. She also told me then that you have to wait after turning it off for a few minutes before turning it back on. The instructions failed to mention this.
As for its other features I had it side by side with my Garmin Nuvi 760 which I have had for over 2 years and the Nuvi gave better directions 90 % of the time and always the shortest miles.

I have tried the new Garmin 465T and now the TND 700 and imo neither can beat the Nuvi overall.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It would be cool if this thing could handle excel spreadsheets. I would carry it everywhere with me. I just made a form in excel that automatically calculates information that I want that is like pulling teeth from dispatch.

eb

bobwg

Expert Expediter
So whats up with the 700 no one seems to have them in stock ? and the few truck stops that have them only have 1 instock

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well my old Garmin finally died so I bought the TND 700 yesterday like it so far right now my problem is I can not update or register at the website since I can not connect thru the USB on my computer the device driver for the TND 700 failed to install and seems Rand McNally customer service only has banker hours Mon thru Fri 8am to 5pm so that drops the score to 50 out of 100 for Rand McN

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well at this point I cannot recommend anyone buy the TND 700 still unable to install the device driver on the computer so it can connect to the TND dock and customer service has not been much help especially when they are only open 8 to 5 Mon to Friday, they said the TND needs to be fully charged and then if it still doent install the device driver to leave the usb connection connected for 30 minutes or longer and see what happens well did that, then they say it is my laptop power manger is not letting enough power go to the usb (bull) then they ask am i using the usb cable that came with the TND700 Duh yes , now they say I should go home and put it on my desk top, what the (blank)! if I can not use it with my laptop then its no good to me since I dont have a darn desktop and I am on the road months at a time. Really thinking of taking it back to the J and getting my money back

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
For those who are having a problem, ask customer service to send you the drivers and if they refuse, ask to speak to someone like a supervisor and get their name. Then ask them if they can explain to you why this problem exists.

The two units I had here all crapped out on me after a week, one I could not get to work even with a fresh windows X install. I spent sometime on the phone with these idiots and told them simply that it is defective product and demanded that they send me the drivers, which I am still waiting for them. My client who I was reviewing them for, talked to T/A management to complain about the poor quality of the product and how this makes T/A look like idiots, one reason why it isn't on the shelves at some T/As.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
These things have been released to retail for weeks now. So there's deffinatly no "pre-release" secrets to hold back on. TWO of them.... Huh ??
pinocchio2.gif
TWO ?? How bout showing us ONE picture with both units side by side ??

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Well at this point I cannot recommend anyone buy the TND 700

I've never read much positve things about their product line.

Garmin and tomtom pretty much own the largest chunk of the world-wide market.[for a reason] Tho tomtom hasnt released their U.S. truck version YET, i'd hold off till they do. Have spoken to several EU drivers that swear by their reliability.

Had a "real truck driver" ask me how i'd think tomtom would operate on his iphone versus buying one of the dash mount units. As a test we fired up my tomtom 720 and the tomtom on my omnia phone. Put the iphone next to it and all three operated exactly ther same. [look close enough and you'll see the exact same streets] Of course I took a picture of the event because i fugured it was a logical thing to do. Nothing validates the truth better than a picture.

2zjknzr.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know what other companies do but Rand has over 70 "field testers", real working truck drivers, testing new software packages and working to fix routing problems. Rand also has that really nice "trucking atlas" and years of experience in truck routing that no other GPS company has. I like my Rand.