Rand McNally TND 700

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
200w is what I have and have been quite happy with it. Due to the amount of residential deliveries I do, I need a new map almost yearly, although my Droid is helpful when the GPS fails

I remembered that. I think you and I might have been the last of the bottom-of-the-line nuvi users. I relinquish full bottom-of-the-barrel to you. I was making the same decision of lifetime maps, so I went with a new unit to go with the maps. I am still happy with the 200, but it was a matter of the maps investment.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I remembered that. I think you and I might have been the last of the bottom-of-the-line nuvi users. I relinquish full bottom-of-the-barrel to you. I was making the same decision of lifetime maps, so I went with a new unit to go with the maps. I am still happy with the 200, but it was a matter of the maps investment.

eb

Which one did you end up getting? I'm looking at the 1450 or 1490T
I'd like a 5 inch screen this time around

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Which one did you end up getting? I'm looking at the 1450 or 1490T
I'd like a 5 inch screen this time around

755T. I wanted a little bigger screen this time around, lane assist and FM alerts, and a price less than my original 200. Not sure the FM traffic is up to where it should be, but I wanted to experiment and see if I could work something useful out of it. Anything above this model has the kind of options I'll try to get out of my future stereo and phone purchase (mostly the bluetooth part).

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
755T. I wanted a little bigger screen this time around, lane assist and FM alerts, and a price less than my original 200. Not sure the FM traffic is up to where it should be, but I wanted to experiment and see if I could work something useful out of it. Anything above this model has the kind of options I'll try to get out of my future stereo and phone purchase (mostly the bluetooth part).

eb

Lane assist is a must have feature in a straight truck. The prices are pretty good on Amazon, that is where I got my last one

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Map updates shouldn't be a big issue cost wise, for the Garmins at least. You can get a lifetime map update code for less than a hundred bucks most places. Allows you up to 4 updates per year for what Garmin says is "the usefull life of the GPS". Not sure what that means, but I guess it means whenever they stop supporting it.

Pretty good deal since a onetime update is around 60-70 bucks a pop.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
HMMM i get update on a continous basis sometimes 2-3 times a week for free on mt TND 500...

As for the issues discussed here on the 700, I have had none of them with the 500. It has worked like a champ since i took it out of the box and turned it on.....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
They are free . the unit cost in the same price range as the garmin 465t which i almost bought , but i wanted the bigger screen....

I actually have 3 updates waiting to be downloaded right now that came over since yesterday am...i am just to lazy to do it right now...thinkin i need a shower and go get a nice dinner instead....:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
HMMM i get update on a continous basis sometimes 2-3 times a week for free on mt TND 500...

As for the issues discussed here on the 700, I have had none of them with the 500. It has worked like a champ since i took it out of the box and turned it on.....

I thought the 700 was just a larger version of the 500. Guess not. Being that I am used to a Garmin, how does the map look on the 500 compared to a Garmin. I like how on the Garmin the Highways are red, main roads are yellow and side roads are gray. I hate spending money so that is why I am doing my research. Does a $400 dollar GPS work better than a $200 GPS. If 500 gives free map upgrades that might be the deciding factor

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
No the 700 is a totally different animal....As to the mapping display, what described is about what the 500 map looks like...I would buy it again if I was looking for another unit....

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
What you are seeing now for Updates are the POI's, Global POI's, and construction.

New versions will come via an update also, but one has not been released since version 1573. BUT hint,,, major one coming out soon.

Map updates - RM has not published anything publicly on free or a charge.

I will be at GATS at the Rand booth. So if you are there, stop on by and get updated or your TND looked at if you have an Issue.

Thanks,
Mark

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Does a $400 dollar GPS work better than a $200 GPS. If 500 gives free map upgrades that might be the deciding factor
Depends on what you mean by "work better". Generally speaking, with only a few exceptions, all models within a brand name will have the same maps, mapping software and accuracy. They will also generally have the same routing software, for address-to-address and how to get there, with the exception being vehicle-specific units like the truck units which have different routing weights for different roads. The only real difference between a $200 GPS unit and a $400 GPS unit are the bells and whistles, some of which can be important, like Lane-Assist, 3-D views of intersections, and fuel-efficient routing, which can be considered a "work better" if those bells and whistles work better for you.

Other than Google Maps, which updates their maps continuously, and their maps and routing are data-connectivity dependent as the data is not stored locally but is instead downloaded in real-time as you need it, frequent map updates for standalone GPS units aren't very high on the "Need To Have" list. For example, with the Trucker's Road Atlas, the road and mapping differences between 2009 or even 2008 or 2007, and 2010 are few and far between. Same with standalone GPS unit maps. There just aren't that many changes to primary and secondary roads from year to year. You can take a GPS unit, say a Garmin, and compare the maps and routing from 2005 and 2010 on a route from St Louis, MO to Charlotte, NC and see no important differences in either the routing options or the maps themselves. If you hadn't updated your Garmin maps since 2005, you'd still get to Charlotte just fine, and it would almost certainly be the same routing that the 2010 updated map would run you.

Like Mark noted, the daily or weekly "map updates" that some units have aren't really map updates at all, but are updated POI's, and with some units it's updated construction info (the same way you download updated construction info from the Net for Streets & Trips). Other units, like many of the Garmins and TomToms, have real-time construction and FM or Navteq traffic info.

So frequent map updates, as well as free map updates, should be well down on the priority list, with mapping and routing accuracy being tops on the list, along with some of the bells and whistles. Mapping and Routing accuracy should really be the only deciding factor regarding which brand to get, and then the bells and whistles factors should narrow it down to 2 or 3 units to choose from.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Also, a truck TND takes into account more truck restrictive attributes for routing that the less cost navigation devices do not use. The data is there in the mapping database from the mapping company, but the navigation device company has to pay more to get more in the main core mapping.

Be aware, that a lot of trucking companies are now authorizing only certain Truck navigation devices that are allowed in the company truck.

thanks,
Mark

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The main thing I need from the map updates regardless of the unit are the addresses at both ends of a trip. I'm trying to expedite while having to triangulate between three mapping programs just to get rolling. It's all the new streets in the neighborhood that I need. Like Laredo.

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The main thing I need from the map updates regardless of the unit are the addresses at both ends of a trip. I'm trying to expedite while having to triangulate between three mapping programs just to get rolling. It's all the new streets in the neighborhood that I need. Like Laredo.

eb
For the most part, the Garmin really and truly will be the most accurate of the standalones on that score. Far from perfect, but better than the others. There are still some addresses that the Garmin cannot find, either because it's not in there, or because I'm not entering the address right. Like, in Texas, you can have a road that's Farm Road 1321, and it might be listed in the Garmin as FM 1321, or FM-1321, or CR 1321, or CR-1321, and if you enter it the wrong way it won't be found. In Frankling, KY there's "JL Farmer Rd", but in the Garmin it's Joe Farmer Rd, and it won't find JL-anything.

Google is a good one to use to find the absolute newest addresses or addresses that the Garmin wants in a weird format. I can often find something with Google Maps, then find the same spot on the Garmin, even if the addresses isn't in there.

The Google Navigator on the Droid comes in especially handy for that, particularly when looking for manufacturing sites or LTL terminals which the Garmin doesn't have in it's POI at all (that was one really strong point of DeLorme, which has a serious industrial database). I can speak into the Droid the name of the business, and the city and state, sometimes the street if I know it, and 9 times out of 10 it'll find the darned thing.

The downside to the Google Navigator (or Google Maps online) is that while it can often find stuff the others can't find, it's routing often leaves a lot to be desired and just isn't up to snuff with a good standalone GPS unit.

So using 2 or 3 tools is gonna be needed often, and you won't be able to find The One perfect GPS unit, regardless of how often the maps and POI's get updated. Sometimes you'll need a 2nd or 3rd tool to find something, and other times you'll need them for the best overall routing. Unless I've driven it before and already know what the best route is, I'll always run the route on several mapping programs to find the best routing for both time and distance.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I agree I use my Droid when the Garmin fails. The Garmin can be picky on how you enter country street names. Here we have alot of County Road and addresses ie CR 23. Also we have a ton of lakes up north that take special car to find the roads. I have been using this GPS long enough to know the quirks of finding the weird addresses for the most part

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well bad news and good news the TND 700 I had finally froze up and quit working then I got error message that a system file was missing. Good news is I took it back to Flying J and was able to exchange it for another TND 700 even though it was pass the 30 day time limit for returns. More good news this one seems to work right and even connects to my laptop with the usb and was able to get 21 updates today So I think if anyone want s to buy one I would say go ahead with one caution charge it so the battery is fully charged and then try and connect with usb cable to your computer. Will update here on how this 700 works over the next few days and weeks but so far looks good

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Well bad news and good news the TND 700 I had finally froze up and quit working then I got error message that a system file was missing. Good news is I took it back to Flying J and was able to exchange it for another TND 700 even though it was pass the 30 day time limit for returns. More good news this one seems to work right and even connects to my laptop with the usb and was able to get 21 updates today So I think if anyone want s to buy one I would say go ahead with one caution charge it so the battery is fully charged and then try and connect with usb cable to your computer. Will update here on how this 700 works over the next few days and weeks but so far looks good

On the back side (right) what is the model number - T7C or T7E?

thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
RAND MCnaly

Rand McNally Provides Free Enhancements for IntelliRoute® TND™ Users
Latest software enhancements include mileage exports for fuel tax reporting, multi-language capabilities, and more; Company will launch IntelliRoute® TND™ for iPad™ in Q4

Dallas, Texas, August 26, 2010 – Rand McNally today introduced the very latest enhancements to its award-winning line of GPS devices at the Great American Trucking Show. Built from the ground up for the over-the-road professional truck driver, the IntelliRoute® TND™ comes with constant updates and upgrades.

Software Enhancements
• State-by-state mileage data reporting – This feature enables drivers to export mileage information from their IntelliRoute® TND™ to a spreadsheet. A Rand McNally exclusive, this report function allows drivers to track toll vs. non-toll miles by state or province for IFTA Fuel Tax reporting. Drivers can review the data by quarter or by day, by state and/or province.

• Enhanced voice warning system – Providing a slew of warnings of what’s around the corner or down the road, the enhanced system allows drivers to make adjustments ahead of time. While the IntelliRoute® TND™ has offered warnings from its inception, the enhanced warnings alert drivers to sharp curves, steep hills, speed limit changes, over speed limit indicator, state boundaries, road construction, time zone changes and on/off duty changes.

• “Am I Close?” feature – As drivers are approaching their final destination, address ranges and street name will display on the status bar. Drivers may customize the point at which the feature will appear.
• Driver controlled auto re-route – When a driver needs to pull off the road for a brief stop, or is taking a dispatcher-directed route, auto-re-route can be paused and then resumed later, reducing unnecessary voice and directions activity.

• Full-route text preview – This user-requested enhancement gives a quick text display of the entire route at a highway level so that drivers know in advance which roads they will travel.

• Enhanced help & tips – IntelliRoute® TND™ users can select a level of on-device assistance that meets their needs. Choose from FAQs, New Tips, What’s New, and Tutorial options to enhance the user experience.

• Full Spanish and French language functionality – Text and verbal translations enable drivers who use English as a second language to fully utilize the product with minimal distraction.

And many more! The above-mentioned enhancements can be downloaded free of charge to registered IntelliRoute® TND™ owners via the IntelliRoute® TND™ Dock in September.

“Rand McNally’s IntelliRoute® TND™ has delivered many innovations to the truck-specific GPS market. This latest round of enhancements continues to round out the unit as a complete, critical business tool for the professional driver,” said Dave Muscatel, CEO of Rand McNally.

Industry Exclusive TND Dock Tool
All of the new features can be downloaded via the IntelliRoute® TND™ Dock. The “Dock” is a built-in application that allows the IntelliRoute® TND™ to interact directly with Rand McNally for updates and upgrades, and for passing information via the “Tell Rand” feature. The user-generated “Tell Rand” feedback link allows Rand McNally to continuously enhance its exclusive, best-in-class Truck Data.

In addition to new features, the IntelliRoute® TND™ Dock offers ongoing updates: Thousands of changes to points of interest, road designations, and other up-to-the-minute information that has been programmed into the software based on the “Tell Rand” feature. In addition, construction updates and product news can be downloaded when the IntelliRoute® TND™ owners connect their units to a PC and use an internet connection to transfer information.

“The ability for IntelliRoute® TND™ users to communicate directly with Rand McNally and our ability to respond with program enhancements has been one of the most successful aspects of our IntelliRoute® TND™ program,” said Dave Marsh, Director of Research and Development, Rand McNally. “Drivers do a tremendous job moving America’s goods every day and we appreciate their eyes and ears on the road as well.”

New Media to be Available Later in the Year
Also at GATS, Rand McNally announced that it will be providing its award-winning IntelliRoute® TND™ truck navigation via the iPad™. Available in late 2010, the application includes the key features of the IntelliRoute® TND™ software, ported over to work exclusively on the iPad™ product.

“The iPad™ is just one more example of Rand McNally’s ability to provide mapping and navigation content in a multitude of formats. Whether drivers or other consumers need an atlas for the family vacation, maps and directions via the internet for point-to-point directions, specialized trucking routes via a GPS unit, or now are looking for navigation via an iPad™, Rand McNally delivers,” explained Muscatel.

The IntelliRoute® TND™ is Trucker tested. Trucker approved. Available in truck stop and online retailers nationwide. Visit IntelliRoute® TND™ for more information.
###

About Rand McNally – Rand McNally is the most trusted source for maps, directions, and travel content. Rand McNally's products and services include: Interactive travel service, Tripology; America’s #1 Road Atlas; IntelliRoute® truck routing software and GPS devices; and the leading geography-based educational resources for the classroom. Consumers, businesses, truckers, and educators depend upon Rand McNally to help navigate today’s world. Maps, Driving Directions, Travel Guides, Travel Store, Travel Videos - Rand McNally
IntelliRoute and Rand McNally are registered trademarks and TND is a trademark of Rand McNally.
Follow us –
Twitter:
Rand McNally (randmcnally) on Twitter
RandMcNally Trucking (RandTrucking) on Twitter

Facebook:
Rand McNally | Facebook

Travel Blog:
Rand McNally on the Road

Provide your Trucker Story at:
IntelliRoute® TND™ Trucker Stories