Rand-McNally Intelliroute TND 500

hossman54

Seasoned Expediter
getting ready to buy a new GPS and am liking the feed back I have been reading here.... everyone still loving their unit? any good pricing options out there? If I buy one will I be able to get all the updates to date for the unit I purchase? thanks in advance.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
just got the tnd 700 last night feels like i got a laptop glued to the windshield which made looking at it so much easyer at night lol. no more squinting at night to read a 3.5 inch screen!:eek::D:cool:

***anyone know how big a micro sd card we can use?***

Last edited:

hardtruckin

Seasoned Expediter
getting ready to buy a new GPS and am liking the feed back I have been reading here.... everyone still loving their unit? any good pricing options out there? If I buy one will I be able to get all the updates to date for the unit I purchase? thanks in advance.

Looks like the best I have seen online is $399, about the same at the truck stops. I still love my unit. And as far as I know the updates are free with the purchase of your unit.

Also if anyone is interested, I found the external gps antenna that works with the 500. Here is the link.

IntelliRoute TND 500 GPS Antenna

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just picked it up. So far, it tried to send me a non-common sensical way thru to a point in NJ. I'll have to adjust the settings for the next trip.

I do like the feature that pulls up the closest truck stop, walmart, game stop, etc.

Watch out... saw it for $500 at Love's.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
i put in a 4gb micro card and it realllly speed up the load time.
i still don't know the max memory we can put in these units.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The updates will come online on a regular basis, some times a few times a day. Mine has started "freezing" up....need to shut it off and restart it then it is fine.

Dan what type card did you install and where did you get it, and while i haven't had an issue , i am looking to get the external antenna, thanks for the link.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
dennis i am using a sandisk 8gb micro sd hc card i got this last chrismas from office depot for $19

thought it was a 4gb lol wonder what a 64gb micro would do!

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
I have been using the TND 500 now for 45,000 miles. While I would not trade it for another brand, I have some real issues now.

The unit has a tendancy to pick US Routes, or state roads (as "quickest routes") over interstates. This is frustrating, and means you have to really check the details of your route. Going west on I-10 in Florida, I picked a Flying J to refuel. It then routed me off the interstate, onto a parallel Florida road for 19 miles. Now, we all know that US Highways and state roads have stop lights, speed changes, etc........NO WAY these roads are faster time-wise. And yes, I have my preferences set to fastest, not shortest.

On that same trip, it routed me through southeast GA from Dothan, AL, to catch I-10. The series of state roads it chose was not too bad, until I saw a C-shaped section of the route--it routed me DOWNTOWN in a very small town instead of a straight bypass around the town. And yes, there was a warning of "NO TRUCKS" on that route.

In PA, I had the same thing happen. The TND routed me on small state roads to go from I-95 up to Brandywine State Park from Elkton, MD. The route was long, slow, cumbersome and not suited to trucks. On the way back, there was a route given along a major state road that was quick and efficient. WHY DOES THIS UNIT DO THIS????????

In CA, the same thing. Inefficient routes to get around LA to Ontario, CA. WHY??

I have learned NOT TO TRUST THE ROUTING WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE TURN DETAIL FLY-OUT TOOLBAR PRIOR TO DRIVING!!!!!

In NJ Last week, it routed me ok, until it told me to make a left turn.......as soon as I turned left, it told me of a vertical height clearance violation!!!.....(There was no clearance problem, thank goodness!!)

Anybody else had these problems of really screwy routing down secondary roads, when Interstates and Major roads were available nearby????

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm getting that stuff with my Garmin 465. It'll send me down restricted roads, sometimes show restrictions that don't exist...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I still run my laptop Garmin along with the TND 500. I love the thing, but it still does put me on roads I don't want and it isn't always the bet route...I have found that i combine both units and I do ok...

Now if i can figure out why it is freezing up from time to time...3 times yesterday.....

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Well been thinking of buying the TND 500 but now the new TND 700 is out, now what which one to buy? :confused: well the price is coming down on the 500 saw it for $350 at a Petro I think, forget now which one. But still see some truck stops with the 500 at $499 like J s and Loves and Pilots

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I think you are looking at the TND 700 for $499...thats what i have seen it for at the "J" , Pilot....I paid $399 for my TND 500 when i bought it, never seen them for anything higher then that.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We finally bought a stand alone GPS and went with the TND 500. So far, it's fine EXCEPT it goes bananas near NYC. Did you know that the GW bridge isn't authorized for a 13'6'' truck? LOL

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We finally bought a stand alone GPS and went with the TND 500. So far, it's fine EXCEPT it goes bananas near NYC. Did you know that the GW bridge isn't authorized for a 13'6'' truck? LOL

Send in a quick msg to Rand on that one. You can use the "Tell Rand" feature on your TND Dock. I will look at that problem tomorrow when I go into NYC. I had never seen it happen before.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
i put in a 4gb micro card and it realllly speed up the load time.
i still don't know the max memory we can put in these units.

On the external SD slot on the T5C TND 500 or the external Micro SD slot on the TND 700, they are not accessed if you decide to slide an SD card into the slot. The slots are active, but not used or accessed by the TND in its coding. The T5B has an external SD card which contains the NaviMaps and NaviVoices.

If you are on version 1472 on the TND 500, as I have mentioned before in preferences\route settings, do not set Tollways, Ferries or U-turns to avoid. This will cause some odd-ball routing. In the TND 700 it is on version 1573 this is not a issue.

The TND 500 next version has resolved this issue.

The suggested retail price for the TND 500 is $399.99 and the TND 700 is $499.99. If the retailer posts a different price, ask them to scan it. Usually the bigger truck stops have not changed their prices on displays.

The updates are usually POI, Global POI and construction updates. Not software updates. This only happens when a newer version is being released.

If you have an TND 700 and cannot find cities in WI, IN or IL either contact myself or Rand McNally tech support. One of the mapping files is bad. It is 100mb file.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok which one of all these GPS Unites is real McCoy??

Ran-McNally,, Garmin 465t , Cobra ???

Which one is the Best thats including all Hazmat Routes and Big Truck Routes low Bridges ect.

For real Bar None which one is the real deal.

That is the big question.
Remember I incurring for Tractor Trailers Big Trucks.
Thanks ahead of time.