Rand-McNally Intelliroute TND 500

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
you can input up to 8 stops and arrange them in whatever order is needed, you can also change the order at any point...i had 6 in there the other day as i routed myself instead of using the "planned" route....worked great

That would be very useful for my daily delivries

transporter

Expert Expediter
i am still using 2005 streets and trips. i bought tomtom 2 years ago didnt like it and went back to streets. how would rand compare to what i am using now?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i am still using 2005 streets and trips. i bought tomtom 2 years ago didnt like it and went back to streets. how would rand compare to what i am using now?

The Rand is head and shoulders better than Streets and Trips,for trucks. It is more accurate, with fewer mistakes. It takes a little getting used too, I miss the keyboard for inputing routes etc. It warns you about upcoming scales, clearance problems etc. We often run Streets along with the Rand as a text. Rand wins about 95% of the time.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
While not from the same company the soft wear is simuliar.

Now, for mark or Layout, is there a way to run the "multi-stop" function so that the trips total together and then run back to back without having to hit the "begin next trip" key???? Small detail, but i would really like to see the total trip mileage at times....

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
you can input up to 8 stops and arrange them in whatever order is needed, you can also change the order at any point...i had 6 in there the other day as i routed myself instead of using the "planned" route....worked great

CoPilot 11 can handle as many stops as you want to enter and can optimize the routing automatically or can be handled manual by the operator. Shifting of waypoint order is simple, up and down highlighting. You can also add bypass waypoints if you need a waypoint to pass by for routing reasons without making the stop. When CoPilot 11 has internet access it also allows for real time truck tracking by simply sending an invitation to the shippers/or others e-mail address. You can also select the amount of time the tracking is allowed for the invitee receiving the invitation, after the allotted time the tracking is shut down for them automatically.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Joe, I appreciate your efforts along with Marks...his work and reports and those of the other beta testers that report over on "truckreport" were the reason i bought the Rand unit.....

Lugnut wrote:

CoPilot 11 can handle as many stops as you want to enter and can optimize the routing automatically or can be handled manual by the operator. Shifting of waypoint order is simple, up and down highlighting. You can also add bypass waypoints if you need a waypoint to pass by for routing reasons without making the stop. When CoPilot 11 has internet access it also allows for real time truck tracking by simply sending an invitation to the shippers/or others e-mail address. You can also select the amount of time the tracking is allowed for the invitee receiving the invitation, after the allotted time the tracking is shut down for them automatically.

Thats good to know, but i don't own the copilot11 and have no inclination to buy one...but thanks for the info and i think you might want to post it over on the thread about the CoPilot unit, those considering it might appreciate it...while it means nothing to me....

Last edited:

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
I am Back

Sorry all, I was out for several weeks with Pneumonia, then had to move to another house in 4 days, then came down with an sinus infection. Just now getting back into the chair..

Their are unlimited stops, but if you wish to optimize them, then you are limited to ten.

Rand is close to releasing a new version. It will entail "Via" points, and ability to modify your route on the "run". Along with more features and issues fixed from previous versions - for example - avoid Tolls,

chefdennis - I am not quite understanding your questions.

Rand is working on (maybe this version) of showing a preview of the entire route (hwy, miles).

Multi-stops are still being worked on showing each segment of mileage and total miles.. not this version, but should be next.

Running back - to - back multistops? you could put the multi-stops in as different folders and when your first one is done then simply click on the next multi-stop folder to begin the route.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Mac and Linux users

Be sure that I get your E-mail address. A new version is due out shortly. I will just need the serial number off the back of your TND so that I can get you the correct Flash SD to bring you up to date on the current version. It will not affect your user folders.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Mats

cc194217
Medium Load Member
Trucker? 4 Years
My Trucking Photos: 9

MATS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From RM

Be sure and stop by and see us in booth 66144! We will be giving away a few TND’s, so send your friends!

Thanks,
Mark

and yes I will be there...

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Mats

we ran into a problem last time out. We routed our hazmat routing, turned off unit, and when we turned it back on the gps re-routed the route. Also everytime we left the road to enter a scale, or a rest stop it again re-routed itself... really frustrating, any ideas?
Thanks though it helps us more than not

hardtruckin

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I stumbled by this forum and wanted to share my experiences with the TND-500.
First of all I found all the posts in this thread very informative and helpful. I think that if we all remember that all GPS systems are meant as tools and not guides we will be that much better off.
I purchase my TND-500 just after Christmas and was very excited to get home and have a play with it.(on line order)
Unfortunately, that didn't last long. The unit locked into some sort of a loop and kept telling me that no sd card was inserted. I immediately called Rand, they advised me that the unit was defective and that I would have to return it to them for a replacement, at my expense of coarse.
About 3 weeks later I received the new unit, its a T5B and have had no other problems like I mentioned above.
I have had several updates since and have had only slight issues with the unit.
As far as performance goes, what can I say, its Rand Mcnally. This little $400 gem has made things a little easier in my life, the state scale warnings and the POI's are a great help.
This was my first truck specific GPS so I went with a name that I knew, and ultimately am glad I did so.
I also use Delorme's GPS software on my laptop, so between the two of them I think I'm better off than with just a paper map.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like the fact that they are upgrading and fixing errors, I like my Garmin, but if I find an error there is really no place to go to let them know about it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Strange bird, this Rand-McNally, they make mistakes, people tell them about them, they listen and make repairs. An on going process. How refreshing!!