Rand-McNally Intelliroute TND 500

SunnyJoe

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks.
Yeah, after a little research on GPS units, it looks like buying a Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc. would be the way to go. It looks like, for the money, that a stand alone GPS unit makes the most sense for the near-term. At some point, it may actually make sense to just rely on your smartphone, but not today.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Hi All,

I just found this Website. I am the Lead Beta Tester for Rand McNally. I will be looking at each post and replying to your concerns\comments. If you wish to contact me directly my E-Mail address is rmleadbetatester at gmail.

My main role as a Beta Tester is to find the issues before the version goes public. But, some things do get missed. I will start to monitor this thread daily to address your concerns\issues.

layoutshooter - if you could E-Mail me I can put you in contact with Rand McNally in addressing your post.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Yes Rand uses Navteq, but they also overlay STAA and Rand's own Database on the map data. As we find Issues with any of the map data, we verify the correct map data and then update our mapping databases.

For example, NavTeq had I-80 x 6 (IN) tagged as restricted. Rand found out about the main Street was shown with a 14k load limit. Rand verified and found this to be bad mapping data. Rand has corrected the mapping database and it will be corrected on the next released version of mapping data.

Rand is look at 2nd quarter for the next release of the mapping data. Charge or no charge, I do not know.

If you find ramps also that are not allowing you to exit on them Rand would like to know so they can find the reason why.

Mapping data is not 100%, but Rand is working hard to make it such.

I will be reading and answering the prior posts in a few hours.

I thank you for allowing me to join this thread and I hope to be as helpful as possible to all the TND users and drivers with questions.

Thanks,
Mark

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So there may be an additional cost associated with updates? Why is it that everyone wants a piece of our ever dwindling, seldom increasing pay check. Couldn't there be a 'reward' in the form of a free update, or a trucker-only update. Since we are often the ones alerting you about the errors, and basically improving your product for future sales.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
ConfusedMuse

I try not to get into the business end of the company. I do know a lot of work goes into all mapping database's and corrections. Because it is trucking data, the costs are much higher getting mapping data from Navteq.

As to a cost? truly I do not know at this point in time.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
So how does it handle the fake NYCDOT clearances around the city?

eb

What the State of NY submits to Mapping Databases and to Rand is what goes into the unit. I understand NYC likes to shave a foot or so off the actual, but the TND will look at what NYC sends to them.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
i also own the rand mcnally and yes it has lots of great features
Wait until you are on a long run the total milage will be wrong
it will tell you to exit where there are no exits my has had fatal errors a couple of times and even froze

Rand is working on the Mileage issue.

If you go to the main screen\preferences\route settings if you are in shortest and have Tollways, Ferry's or U-turns set to avoid, please set to allow. Rand is working on an issue where any\or all of these three will cause freezing, bad exits and some other issues.

We are working hard to find this issue.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Does the Rand McNally have a dash mount? I looked at one at truck stop and it look like only has mount for windshield. I have an old Garmin and when i got it the Garmin web site shows that windshield mount is not legal in California and I think Minnesota too, so I got what they call a friction mount its sort of like a sand bag the top center area has a mount for the gps and the bottom side as a material that prevents it from sliding around and you can still move it from truck to truck and not damage the dash to mount it. Dont know if anyone has actually been given a ticket for the winshield mount but no reason to give cops/dot another way to write a ticket

A major truck stop,,,starting with L and ending in 's does have a bean bag holder. The 5" does fit well with slots on the side for the power cord. If you E-mail me I can give you more details.

Also a big box retailer has the pad that the GPS mount will attach to. I have not bought one yet to test it out though.

Dash mounts - you can go to panavise and they have dash mount brackets.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Some great questions and comments coming on this thread!

Yes, out of the box one only gets the suction-cup windshield mount. That is one quibble I do have--that mount puts the GPS out of my reach and is blurry with my current non-bifocal glasses. So, yes, I did have to go to Wal-Mart for a mount that allows me to "hard-mount" the GPS holder near the steering wheel on my right side.

I will have to investigate who the actual manufacturer of this GPS is.

Like cell phones, smart phones, and the like, GPS units made for commercial transportation will be an ever-evolving thing. I think what will make a big difference is in HOW FAST the makers will be able to incorporate changes into the units--AFTER PURCHASE. So far, Rand McNally seems to be up to the task. I reported on their website that they needed to update their map for the Charlotte, NC area. I actually got an email reply saying that I would be notified by email as soon as it is ready, and others--in the next couple of weeks--and was given a link whereby I could DOWNLOAD new map data for free. (In addition to new construction updates.) I was afraid I would be ignored. Not so!

I guess I don't mind buying something new with a few bugs---AS LONG AS THE MANUFACTURERS LIVE UP TO THEIR PROMISE TO RAPIDLY IMPROVE THEIR PRODUCT!

So far, so good.

When you connect to the TND Dock, you will have access to construction updates as shown on (in a route) map screen,, look to the right and above the "+" is your turn-by-turn list. Your road construction will be shown there.

POI's and Global POI ratings are also downloaded to your TND.

Their is no set pattern right now, but if you connect at least once a week you should be fine.

Mapping updates are not via any link. The map database is over 2.5gb. I will be available the 2nd qtr of this year.

for reviews on this unit as well as other GPS, Google Dieselboss in OR.

Thanks,
Mark

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mark: thank you for taking the time to respond to questions and clarify issues - it's appreciated.
I'm a satisfied user of Garmin, but someday, it'll need replaced, and you make a very good impression for 'your' product.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, I was trying to get the posts replied to before my UPS died. Lost power. But, now back on.

A new version is due out very shortly. You will see improvements, but atlas we are still fighting a issue or two.

Some of the know issues -

setting avoid in route settings

putting a route in and getting the mileage, but as you start to move the mileage will change sometimes.

If you buy a new unit and find mileage in the truck tools\timers and logs, that was done during the software burn. You do not have a used unit. Just delete them and you will be fine.

The current version is 10.2.1443.xxxx, so if you are not on that version you will need to update via the TND Dock.

Also on 12/31/09, some TND's displayed a expired license message. Connect to the TND Dock and update, you will be fine then.

If you have any concerns or questions, I will monitor this thread daily and you can also E-mail me at rmleadbetatester at gmail.

Thanks,
Mark

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I went on ahead and got my 27 updates
i am hoping that will fix my problems
i had all the problems talked about with mine
I wish i could type in a town and touch on a street
to find an adress by type in an adress you cant
always find what you need. My garmin c330
will let me do this by getting me to the town
and then browsing the map and touching the
street i need.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
Mark,

Thanks for all the good info.

I re-read my email reply from Rand, and it does not state clearly whether map updates would be available for download, so I was left to conlude that those updates would be available to users.

2.5 gigabytes is small potatoes for a DVD purchased online and mailed. Or, very manageable if UPDATES could be downloaded and incorporated into the current map database of the unit. Why is this (either option) not possible? A new map database could be encrypted on a DVD disc to keep it proprietary, only usable by owners of the serial-numbered TND unit (just as most Windows software is done, and engineering software such as AutoCAD is done).

Hey, THAT would be forward thinking, right? And, the sort of difference I would expect from Rand McNally.

I have to admit; I purchased the TND 500 based on the reputation of Rand--was I wrong?

Larry

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
The updates would probably be in the form of an SD Card. Now if you have a T5B it would be a SD Card replacement, but if you have a T5C then you would be given an SD card to insert and the SD Card will do a Flash Update to the TND.

The T5B has the map data on the external SD Card and the T5C has the map data internally.

BTW, if you have an TND and are on a Mac or on a Mac with a DOS shell (but cannot connect to the TND Dock) contact me as Rand has a way to update your TND's via the Flash SD Card method.

If you do not have a computer or limited access to a computer contact me to get your updates.

Thanks,
Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
New Version

Version 1472 has been released. Once you are done updating you can click on the tab to view release notes.

Thanks,
Mark

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
I have the T5B. It has an SD card slot that is occupied 100% of the time, meaning that it has a card in the slot and it remains there.

I will have to redock my TND and check for updates to see what is up.

More great info! Thanks, Mark!

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Tollways - Avoid Issue

Rand has found some bad data that was causing some issues with route settings - shortest, and Tollways - Avoid. The Beta Testers are testing it out.

Thanks,
Mark

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok 1st , Mark, I have read most of the 102 pages on the RM unit over at "Truckers Report"...i can say that you are a well respected poster over there on this issue, so with that, Thank You for taking the time to stop in here at EO and keeping the members here well informed.

Now, I have been kicking around the RM 500 annd the cobra 7000...the cobra because of the size ( i use a laptop now and have for the last 18 months with no operation issues, just that is is a Garmin "Car" unit) BUT, I will say the amount of info that i have gathered from here and over at the Truckers Report from you and the other testers is leading me towards the RM 500. Since i have been looking for a good unit for truck routing for a while and i am in no hurry, how long before one could buy a unit off the shelf that has all of the updates and error issues corrected and not have to go through the updating on a regular basis?

Also i seen the mention of a RM 700 with a 7 inch screen, but i can't find anything online, is this something that will be available in the near future?

Again, thanks for all of the info you have provided her and also over at Truckers report, it is invaluble in making the decision as to what to buy....