Rand-McNally Intelliroute TND 500

Dieselboss

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry. They are kinda buried under the dash mounts at this page: http://www.dieselboss.com/mount_for_gps.htm

Also, note that the round hole in the back of the Rand TND710 model is TINY so you have to wallow it out very slightly with a drill bit or something similar to get the connector through the plastic cradle that the GPS snaps into. That is the only truck-specific model that I have found that needs this. It isn't hard and works very well after that.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I have never seen a reason needed for the external antenna .... I use the windshield mount and it always knows where it is ...

Am I missing something?

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
I have never seen a reason needed for the external antenna .... I use the windshield mount and it always knows where it is ...

Am I missing something?

One of the posters in this thread drives a car hauler and with a car directly overhead it has a hard time keeping a signal.

I have a 710 on a windshield mount and have no issues, but then again I don't have 3000 lbs of steel hanging over my head either.

Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Dieselboss

Seasoned Expediter

Am I missing something?

95% (or so) of GPS users do not need one. If you find that your GPS (regardless of what brand it is) loses it's tracking position with any kind of regularity, then you either have a weak GPS circuit in the unit itself (it does happen and is covered by warranties) OR more likely you fall in that 5%.

The largest contributors to weak signal that are not the unit's fault are:

- Regular driving in heavily-wooded areas with trees overhanging the roads or roadsides.

- Regular driving in the largest urban cities (i.e. lots of tall buildings and lots of electrical interference) New York City and Chicago come to mind.)

- OR a configuration of your rig. The 3 things there that are the biggest culprits there are: car-haulers with a car over the top of the cab, serious electrical gear like high-wattage CB's, cell phone amplifiers, etc. Or those really massive chrome visors over the windshield that stick out and come down a good way down the windshield in some cases.

The rule of thumb is that they all have a GPS signal strength screen buried in the settings area. If you suspect GPS signal "dementia" happening you can do a few easy experiments during those times by watching the signal strength in that screen to see if that is the culprit.