Rand-McNally Intelliroute TND 500

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
We have had the Garmin 465 For 11 months.We have never been on a road we shouldn't be on,never been near a to low bridge.we are completly satisfied with this unit.If your looking for a pilot,j ,ta, loves You just go to points of intrest then spell.Spell where you want to go.Same with laundry,walmart etc...It has live traffic update,nice when express way ,or any road is backed up,automaticly reroutes you around then problem.has hazmat routing.Can be set for truck or auto.Put in your truck profile and go.Can be set to avoid tolls,shortest route,fastest route etc...you can hook it up to laptop for map updates.

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Ok which one of all these GPS Unites is real McCoy??

Ran-McNally,, Garmin 465t , Cobra ???

Which one is the Best thats including all Hazmat Routes and Big Truck Routes low Bridges ect.

For real Bar None which one is the real deal.

That is the big question.
Remember I incurring for Tractor Trailers Big Trucks.
Thanks ahead of time.

Read the review on Dieselboss online truckstop for semi truck drivers

Thanks,
Mark

macmikey

Seasoned Expediter
The updates would probably be in the form of an SD Card. Now if you have a T5B it would be a SD Card replacement, but if you have a T5C then you would be given an SD card to insert and the SD Card will do a Flash Update to the TND.

The T5B has the map data on the external SD Card and the T5C has the map data internally.

BTW, if you have an TND and are on a Mac or on a Mac with a DOS shell (but cannot connect to the TND Dock) contact me as Rand has a way to update your TND's via the Flash SD Card method.

If you do not have a computer or limited access to a computer contact me to get your updates.

Thanks,
Mark

I sent a PM to you and I hope RM gets a Mac version of the dock. it is a nice tool but we Mac users seem to be having issues getting a virtual machine to reliably connect to the TNDs. I have a TND 500 and it has not connected once since I got it setup and it connected just fine then.

Mike

macmikey

Seasoned Expediter
We have had the Garmin 465 For 11 months.We have never been on a road we shouldn't be on,never been near a to low bridge.we are completly satisfied with this unit.If your looking for a pilot,j ,ta, loves You just go to points of intrest then spell.Spell where you want to go.Same with laundry,walmart etc...It has live traffic update,nice when express way ,or any road is backed up,automaticly reroutes you around then problem.has hazmat routing.Can be set for truck or auto.Put in your truck profile and go.Can be set to avoid tolls,shortest route,fastest route etc...you can hook it up to laptop for map updates.

Except in NYC. It took me down a road that had no less than 3 warnings of low bridges and none were actually as low as the signs said they were (seems NYC does that a lot, to stop truck traffic?). But TND 500 never once warned me about them. I drive a 13-4 tall straight truck and I have to have spot-on perfect warnings. This time I got lucky and it fit, but one time it doesn't and I can't stop in time I am screwed.

I like it otherwise though. A little slow, and gets confused easily (go under buildings on 95 after the GW at around 10 MPH and it will give you several options, all random, none involving 95), but otherwise a great unit for trucks.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
i've got the tnd 700 and love but it does not like the sun very well being all black and the anti- glare on the screen is kind of cheap but i found stuff for all that.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
What is the learning curve on this GPS versus a Garmin Nuvi?
I have learned how to enter roads ie I have to type in county road and not CR to pick up the address otherwise it says no location found.
My nuvi is a 2007 200w so I am in serious need of a map upgrade.
I like what I see so far for the TND500 and it's either this one or the Garmin465T
BTW do either offer lane assist?

macmikey

Seasoned Expediter
What is the learning curve on this GPS versus a Garmin Nuvi?
I have learned how to enter roads ie I have to type in county road and not CR to pick up the address otherwise it says no location found.
My nuvi is a 2007 200w so I am in serious need of a map upgrade.
I like what I see so far for the TND500 and it's either this one or the Garmin465T
BTW do either offer lane assist?

The tnd 500/700 have lane assist as well. Pretty good at it too

FloraP

Seasoned Expediter
I have a TND500. It has started not being able to find and keep a signal. I called cust support they said to buy an external antenna, but I can't find one. Can anyone tell me where to look for one?

FloraP

Seasoned Expediter
i've got the tnd 700 and love but it does not like the sun very well being all black and the anti- glare on the screen is kind of cheap but i found stuff for all that.

I have atnd 500, I'm needing an external antenna, but can't find one anywhere. Any ideas?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The only External Antenna for the TND line is available (well it was) only from RM....customer service sayes that the WorldNav antenna will NOT work with the TND....Now...you will NOT find the antenna on the RM webpage...if you call Customer service, you will get a song and dance about the website being under construction and they pulled a few items and haven't put them back up as of yet so they aren't availabale (no you can't order it over the phone either)...push further and get a supervisor and you will get a story that they aren't taking orders for the external antenna because of logistic reasons and getting the antenna (only the antenna, you can buy the units and chargers and cables, but not the antenna..). out to customers.....

Mark....you need to get a clarifacation on this and get it fixed...the BS from Customer service just doesn't taste real well...I like the unit, I bought it strictly based on your input here and over on the "trucker report" , but this along with a few other CS issues aren't helping you ...

Last edited:

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
Updates
Ver 1.0.81.0 of the TND Dock is available.
Ver 1760 is available
Maps are available.

Please when you download, say YES to the TND Dock update. This will allow you to get to the map updates.

If you do not have the time to download 2.6 GB (approx 4-12 hrs), then wait till you are at a high speed network.

Remember this will take up 1/2 of your bandwidth if you are on a 5 GB monthly allotment.

Thanks and happy updating.

Mark

cc194217

Seasoned Expediter
The only External Antenna for the TND line is available (well it was) only from RM....customer service sayes that the WorldNav antenna will NOT work with the TND....Now...you will NOT find the antenna on the RM webpage...if you call Customer service, you will get a song and dance about the website being under construction and they pulled a few items and haven't put them back up as of yet so they aren't availabale (no you can't order it over the phone either)...push further and get a supervisor and you will get a story that they aren't taking orders for the external antenna because of logistic reasons and getting the antenna (only the antenna, you can buy the units and chargers and cables, but not the antenna..). out to customers.....

Mark....you need to get a clarifacation on this and get it fixed...the BS from Customer service just doesn't taste real well...I like the unit, I bought it strictly based on your input here and over on the "trucker report" , but this along with a few other CS issues aren't helping you ...

Will do... Do you need an Antenna? I have one left in my private stock I could let you use.

Thanks,
mark

bullfrog54

Active Expediter
I too am in need of the antenna for the TND500. I have looked everywhere and cannot find it even though I am told it is available. When I have talked to RM I also have been given the run around...even was told to go to Radio Shack. But they had no idea. Having a carhauler with a car on top of the cab it is really hard for the unit to keep a signal. Please email me at [email protected] as to where I can get one soon. Thanks!!

bullfrog54

Active Expediter
Only antennas there for GPS is a GPS program on your laptop it hooks in with a USB plug and attaches outside for a signal