Canada Panther & Getting paid in Canada

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Fellow Pantherians, I need your help, please.

Tonight I turned down a load going into Saskatoon, Sask. Part of the reason for my decision is the way we have to turn in our paperwork to be paid. Unless I am mistaken, there are no scanning locations in Canada except for maybe the T/A in London,Ont. And Panther does not allow us to fax our paperwork to beat payroll, and then scan it in the next time we are at an equipped truckstop, correct? So that leaves me to d/h to Fargo, about 700 miles, just to get paid for what I have already delivered? and be back in the "prime service area"?Surely there must be another way that I haven't figured out. What do you all do in this situation?

Daniel
Panther 12055

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The obvious answer is not when will you get paid but how much you will receive. Take away the when and you have your answer.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
My question isn't about when or how much I'll get paid. I'm asking if I really have to deadhead 700 miles to turn in my paperwork so it gets to payroll

Daniel
Panther 12055

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Fax your paperwork right from the shipper, or email it to paperwork@ pantherexpedite.com.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
First I would not have turned it down. I always like that area to travel in.

I don't care if the paper work stuff is an issue, you should have made enough to justify the wait, or didn't they give you a bonus?

But if I was that impatient, I would have found a FedEx outlet as close to Saskatoon as possible and shipped it to Panther next day with FedEx International First. The second choice is Post Canada who I think also provides this next day service. Or If I was in a real hurry, I would have gone to the airport and found an international courier service and had them take it to panther.

There are three solutions from a really bored fat guy.

I personally don't have to worry about that, I just scan my stuff in and off to the company via email. The run I delivered today will be on my check this week - embrace technology.

ADDED - Wow Dave, didn't see that; Panther allows you to email when you drop too? Cool...

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Dave;

This isn't customs paperwork I am talking about, this is the probill/BOL after delivery. I was told, by a dispatcher, that scanning via Trippak at a truckstop is the only way paperwork can be turned in to payroll. Hopefully there will be a day when I can hold onto paperwork until the next payroll period, but right now, with $300 bucks worth of work turned in so far for the week, I need to be paid for everything else I haul this week on the next pay period.

Daniel
Panther 12055

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Greg;

Why it didn't occur to me I have no explanation for, but you're right, Fed-Ex overnight would be the way to go. But no, no bonus was offered, nor has a bonus ever been offered to me for any reason. Here's the job with the mileage and fsc, do u want it or not? Nice that you can get paid the same week. What I turn in by midnight on Sunday is paid to me two Fridays from that.

Daniel
Panther 12055

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can send a BOL and Pro via my described method. We do it all the time. On email, you might want to confirm they actually have it. Or send it where you get a email receipt confirmation back.
The scan is the best way, but these are the alternatives for your described situation. Call for confirmation via 800 number from a payphone in CA and you have no cell charges.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Daniel, There are at least three avenues to follow. I sent you a private message to explain the options.
You were told many more things in orientation than you can remember. That is why you take notes and ask questions. Dispatchers have the same conditions. Dispatchers tell you what they think they remember, they are human.
Dave is right about emailing. It is an option.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I've been in that kind of situation myself...where you have no scanning locations anywhere close by. If you don't own the truck, which I take it you don't since you get paid two weeks after you do a run (I work for an owner and that's how it is for me too) you probably don't have all this extra money lying around to be able to hold the paperwork for the next pay period. It's rough when you first start. I never thought of getting it one day mail to them, but I went around town trying to find a place to email it to them. Sometimes it's bad because you have to drive out of your way to get the paperwork scanned in time and then you lose your board position because you're moving and all you're trying to do is get paid. You can't fax anymore, but you can email it to them if you have a scanner in your truck and granted you're in a place where you can even get internet. Sometimes you have no choice but to wait.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure even Saskatoon has their version of Kinko's.

Having read your post, I would've turned it down too. Not for the problem of pay, but for lack of money to get you back to civilization. 700 miles back to ND means around 900 to get to Minneapolis. Not dhing that far unless someone else picks up the tab.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can fax but they don't want all of your paper work done that way. You are talking about one run, verses a whole week of stuff.
We did one a few weeks ago and had no problems.
If the customer has email and a scanner, send it from there after you unload.
Good point on Saskatoon. If you don't have return money back to MN, that load is a loser.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>no bonus was offered, nor has a bonus ever been offered
>to me for any reason.

Most likely no bonus will ever be offered no matter how long you are with them. You need to ask for a bonus when circumstances warrant. In this case, you'd point out to them there's around 900 miles d/h back to Minneapolis to have a chance at another load and would love to make the run for them but would need help with that d/h. Figure out what it would take to cover your fuel back and ask for that much plus a little extra.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>Fellow Pantherians, I need your help, please.
>
>Tonight I turned down a load going into Saskatoon, Sask.
>Part of the reason for my decision is the way we have to
>turn in our paperwork to be paid. Unless I am mistaken,
>there are no scanning locations in Canada except for maybe
>the T/A in London,Ont. And Panther does not allow us to fax
>our paperwork to beat payroll, and then scan it in the next
>time we are at an equipped truckstop, correct? So that
>leaves me to d/h to Fargo, about 700 miles, just to get paid
>for what I have already delivered? and be back in the "prime
>service area"?Surely there must be another way that I
>haven't figured out. What do you all do in this situation?
>
>
>Daniel
>Panther 12055

Canada is not quite the backwoods place y'all may think it is.

There are plenty of places in Saskatoon that can facilitate the return of paperwork in a timely manner.

"Mail Boxes Etc" at 3110 8th Street East is just one such location. There are also UPS stores, Canada Post, etc... etc...

*Anywhere* in Canada is our prime service area... including way up north.

In any case, what is the issue with not meeting the next payroll? The pay will come in the one after. Are you running so tight that you cannot carry the expenses of a trip over a payroll or two?

drivingmecrazy

Seasoned Expediter
We took a load there, but had a 400.00 bonus to get back to freight area! Never touch those with out some help- thats just crazy! Even if the owner of the truck does pay for fuel- you would not be doing a good job for him! If we stick together and don't run cheap freight- we will all be better off! Be careful of using your own computer in Canada- it is roaming on your air card- got charged 90.00 one time- and ONE TIME only! Turn my phone off too when in Canada- let Panther know to QC you only! Less of course the few times our QC has not worked up in Canada- then you are forced to turn your phone on! T- mobile does not do Canada.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
1. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is much appreciated.
2. Yes, I DO own my own van, I do not drive for an owner, and all paperwork turned in by Sunday is paid 2 weeks from Friday. ie today's jobs will be paid on December 28! I just started in October, and yes, money IS that tight right now.
3. When asked once "what do you need to take this load", going to Regina, Sask for Friday delivery, my request for $150 to cover fuel costs in Canada and d/h to Fargo to turn in pprwrk/return to prime area was "not something we can do". The fsc was .15, i didn't think 150 was unrealistic, and I see someone was given an extra $400 to do it??? Now I know.
4. I called Panther twice last nite to ask about history of loads coming out of Sask and Winnepeg. Te 2nd peson couldn't find any info on Sask. The FIRST person told me there is ALL KINDS of freight coming out of there, then proceeded to read off names to me...."Guelph, London, Brampton"...I said "um, dude, that's Ontario, I'd be in Saskatchewan"...."These are Canada loads" he said, at which point i informed him that Ontario is Eastern Canada, while Saskatoon is north of friggin Montana, yet he stll thought it was helpful to give me info on all loads coming out of Canada.

Daniel
Panther 12055

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have delivered about 50-60 loads to Winnipeg and points west. Once I got a load back to the States and once I got a load at the border, Pembina, ND. With my former carrier it was automatic deadhead pay back to Minneapolis. With Panther I have to ask for a bonus up front to cover gas back to Minneapolis. Lately I have been told there are other vans in the area and never get a call back. So it goes! Now I know who is stealing my loads, LQTM. (Laughing quietly to myself)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I signed a contract that pays me a certain rate, and I do my best to live up to it. Just the same, I won't lose money on a run. If I ask for a bonus in order to run a load, and they won't give it up because another van might run it, that's fine. If another van will run a luzer, more power to 'em. I don't look at it as a missed load at all.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But if loads like that are all you're offered, what happens to your acceptance rate, when you keep turning them down?