Canada Panther & Getting paid in Canada

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Acceptance rate means two things: Jack and sh**. And Jack left town. ;)

Seriously tho... if you accept a load like that, without help for getting back, you'll be worrying about more than acceptance ratings. We need to make money. Not worrying about being someone's golden child with a big S on our chest, and a little s on our forehead.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The point is, acceptance ratings DO matter, with Panther, at least. And you can get caught in a vicious circle, where loads to Canada (with unacceptable DH) are all you get offerred, and every time you turn another one down, your acceptance rating goes down with it. Been there, done that, didn't like it, either.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I'm with T'Hawk. If all your refused loads are solely for non-profitability reasons and your carrier finds your load acceptance rating to be unacceptable, then it would be a good time to rethink your lease with that carrier.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
First of all; as pointed out earlier, Saskatoon is not a couple of grain elevators in the middle of nowhere. It is the second largest city in Saskatchewan. There is a large Husky Truck Stop that apparently has FedEx service.
But, when I read comments like below...that level of ignorance and incompetence should not be permitted at the dispatch office of a major carrier.
I don't blame you for not wanting to come to Canada if that is the level of support you receive.
Ask them though about loads coming out of Alberta.
That is the centre of the oil sands industry.

>4. I called Panther twice last nite to ask about history of
>loads coming out of Sask and Winnepeg. Te 2nd peson couldn't
>find any info on Sask. The FIRST person told me there is ALL
>KINDS of freight coming out of there, then proceeded to read
>off names to me...."Guelph, London, Brampton"...I said "um,
>dude, that's Ontario, I'd be in Saskatchewan"...."These are
>Canada loads" he said, at which point i informed him that
>Ontario is Eastern Canada, while Saskatoon is north of
>friggin Montana, yet he stll thought it was helpful to give
>me info on all loads coming out of Canada.
>
>
>
>Daniel
>Panther 12055

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"But if loads like that are all you're offered, what happens to your acceptance rate, when you keep turning them down?"

I'm with T'Hawk 'n Terry (sounds like a bed and bath pawn shop). I can't make a living by accepting loads that lose me money, regardless of my acceptance rate. It's currently at 100%, but that's just the way it is working out at the moment. I haven't been offered that many bad loads lately, but the few that I've been offered and turned down, they ended up calling me back and meeting my conditions.

The thing is, you can be offered 5 loads in a week, and turn down just one bad one, and bam! you're at an 80% acceptance rate (for the week). I can't worry too much about my acceptance rate when I'm offered a load. I look at the load, and if it makes sense I'll take it, if not I'll turn it down and let them worry about my acceptance rate.

The key is to work smart. Deadhead smart, accept and reject smart. Don't deadhead just for the sake of deadheading. Deadhead if it's going to make you more money than sitting and waiting it out. Take a marginal load if it takes you to a place where you are likely to get a good load. Accept loads that make sense, both in terms of pay and in terms of where they take you. Reject loads that don't make sense, either in terms of pay or in terms of where they take you.

As a general rule, I won't deadhead in the same direction that a paying load would otherwise take me. For example, if I drop off a load that's half way between KC and St Louis, if I'm gonna have to deadhead to one or the other, I'll go to Kansas City, 'cause a load out of KC is likely to take me in the direction of St Louis.

I prefer to work the outer fringes of that big bullseye over the midwest. Everyone wants to be in the middle of that area, and as a result that's where all the vans (especially) are located. On the outer edges there isn't as much freight, but there isn't as many vans, either. The loads tend to be longer and better paying out on the edge. And, they tend to garner bonuses as needed, whereas in the middle of the bullseye there's no need to hand out bonuses, cause some sap will take a luzer for straight rates to keep up their acceptance rate, only to drop off in an area where they're once again #5 on a board where 1 load a day comes out.

Work smart, and the acceptance rate takes care of itself.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

nyexpeditors

Seasoned Expediter
We never have that problem anymore. We have a laptop with internet capability through our Phone provider and a printer/scanner. We transflo straight from the truck. It makes it alot easier, and quicker so that we can avoid the truck stops.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"We transflo straight from the truck."

You trasnflo straight from the truck? How do you get a batch number, a receipt? Does that come via a return e-mail from Transflow? Where do you send the scans? This is sounding kewl. Details, details!

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When it is slow, carriers are taking every load they can get their hands on. Acceptance rate means absolutely nothing. I am more interesting in whether we are running profitably or not.
Which is better, 100 percent acceptance and broke, or 50 percent and profitable? Sometimes our numbers are high, and other times they are in the cellar.
I'll take the later every time. It comes down to whether you are offered profitable loads every time, or are you offered losers half the time?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nyexpeditors

Seasoned Expediter
We scan all of our paperwork into Transflo which we downloaded onto our computer. Then it is sent into the system. We do get a batch number and a confirmation email letting us know that it was received into their system.

CofTerror

Active Expediter
Re: Panther & Getting paid in Canada

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but...
There is an iPhone app called JotNot. It uses the camera to take an image and then processes it to be faxed or emailed. It has helped me a ton.

Does panther still let you email paperwork?

Chris

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Re: Panther & Getting paid in Canada

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but...
There is an iPhone app called JotNot. It uses the camera to take an image and then processes it to be faxed or emailed. It has helped me a ton.

Does panther still let you email paperwork?

Chris

You could email, but now Panther uses transflo which is free. Seems to be pretty reliable with confirmation numbers on anything sent. This can also be done scanning in your truck and sending it that way.