Our experience with C&M Transport so far...

kurtkaoss

Active Expediter
Let me give you a bit of insight into what I've been doing, Dave:

I leased on with a major carrier in November, being told the their Sprinter freight was just booming. After a month on the road with them, I got 963 paid miles. Unhappy and going broke, I took a chance and moved to a smaller but well known carrier just before Christmas.

..In the last 9 days I've run 2600 miles, and I'm a solo. Will these miles keep up? Who knows...it's January, and the most unpredictable month in expediting, besides July.

My suggestion is, stay with C & M for a little while longer. I've been doing this on & off since 1997, and all the C & M drivers I've talked to are relatively happy. I hope you find great success doing this.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
This says it all and is so true. When a driver gets to a slow market, they are the ones that suffer from a firm line in the sand policy.
You pay the price when it's slow and reap the rewards when it picks up. My experience with C&M was in a straight truck, but we stayed busy. They have a strong, diverse freight base. Their slow periods are generally shorter and less frequent than a lot of other carriers because of their diversity of freight and their reputation in the industry.

I know of 3 different fleet owners there and all 3 of them have some vans. I'm pretty sure that at least 2 of them used to have all straight trucks but have been adding vans over the last 2 or 3 years. Fleet owners don't generally do that on a whim.

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
Last night around 11 Candy and I are sitting in the restaurant here at the TA in Monroe, MI. I'm on my laptop reading everyones posts here on EO when Candy decided to go back out to the van to lay down and watch some TV. After about 45 minutes to an hour I get a text from her saying, "It's still freezing in this van." I texted her back saying it's probably so cold the engine is struggling to warm up. I packed up my laptop, paid my tab at the restaurant and walked back out to the van. She's in the bunk and I hop in the driver's seat to see what's up. The battery light is on, the temp gauge is around 200 and the vents are blowing ice cold air. I shut the van off and text our fleet owner. Since his dedicated run with C&M brings him to this truck stop for refueling daily, he took a look at the problem around 7:30 this morning. The serpentine belt was off and just kinda laying there. The mechanic here at the TA said he'd take a look at it so I fired the van back up and drove it into the bay without any power steering which was quite the work out. I believe the part that needed to be replaced is called a tensioner. Our fleet owner asked the mechanic to fix it and took off in his T/T. The mechanic told us we were welcome to stay in the van while he fixed it. Since it was so cold last night, we had trouble sleeping and since the bay was heated, we decided to sleep in the van. At 12:58 my phone rings. I look at the caller ID and it says, "C&M Transport".

Dispatcher: Hey Dave, this is so & so at C&M. We have a load picking up about 75 miles from you and delivering somewhere in Missouri. Total paid miles for the run would be 710.

I told him we'd take it but the van is currently being repaired and I checked under the hood to find the mechanic and all I found was about a dozen van pieces scattered out on the floor of the bay. With dispatch still on the phone I scramble to find the mechanic. In a panic I ask him, "We got a load, how long til it's fixed?" He said, "The parts just got here. It's gonna take me at least an hour to put it back together." I asked dispatch how soon the load needs to be picked up. "ASAP" he says. Then the dispatcher says, "Let me see what I can do and I'll call you back." We never got a call back so the load was lost to us. Just another example of bad luck I guess. LOL!!

The van was fixed and ready to go around 2:30 this afternoon. Right now we're sitting at the TA in Monroe, Mi waiting for the call. :)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Time to go back to posting under the BadLuckChuck name. Whatever you do, don't get your Sprinter washed where Highwaystar washes his truck.

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
Could use some more advice folks. So our Sprinter has a sleeper with a bed, TV/DVD combo, microwave and fridge. These are all powered by a 2000 watt inverter powered by 1 aux battery. Our fleet owner does not want us idling at all. I asked him what we're supposed to do when we're up north and it's cold. His advice was to sleep during the day when it's a little warmer and stay awake and hang out in the truck stop all night. He said that Sprinters break down easily from idling. Well, we've been idling. Not only to stay warm but to also keep the aux battery charged. I don't know how long it takes to fully charge the battery but if we let the van idle for an hour, we get about an hour or 2 of TV watching time after we shut the van off. Another problem is that without power, food will go bad in the fridge during warmer months. Our fleet owner has one of those GPS systems that tells him where the van is at all times and when it's idling, etc. He hasn't said much about the fact that we've been idling until today when the van broke down. I asked him about getting a generator and other options to be able to keep warm during the winter and cool during the summer without idling. He said that it's easier to provide enough power to heat the van than it is to cool it during the summer in places like TX. So he told me to do some research and get back with him on some ideas. So that's why I've come to you guys once again for advice. What options are there that could heat and cool the van without costing more than a couple thousand dollars? Also, he mentioned that some shippers will not load their freight on a vehicle when they see a gas can.

guido4475

Not a Member
He needs to get an Espar, and an adequate A/C unit on top, along with a generator. It will cost alot in the beginning, but the rewards are endless, paying for itself in the long run real quick, and having a thankful and happy team in his Sprinter.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First, figure out what you need to earn ALL IN per mile. Fuel, maintenance, insurance, tolls, salary, living expenses, taxes, your vehicle payment, even if its paid for you will have to replace it eventualy so add up EVERYTHING! A van costs abbout $1.50 a mile all in.

Second, anything with more than 50 back track 100 miles enroute deadhead is at best useless and expensive, unless its taking you home its better to stay parked. Now, lets say you d/h 100 miles and run 400 miles total 500 miles. you should be earning $750.00 to the van $275.00 to pay you or your co driver depending on who drives.

Ive said it many times on this site, when I get calls for work I could care less on how many miles the run is its about how much is in my pocket after I pay the bills. My answer to low ballers is thats my rate and i'm available. I would rather loose an opertunity to work than go broke moving somone elses freight.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For one your aux battery needs replaced. You should get a lot more than a couple hours for a tv and a fridge.

He really needs to invest in an espar if you have a bulkhead a d2 is fine. Roof air and a generator is the best cooling system. The cost for all is not that much more than a dpf filter if your in an 07 or newer and if you are he will have to replace it from ideling.

For the rest of the winter you could make do with a Mr buddy heater and 20 gal propane tank.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Agree with Xiggi: for the 2 years I was in a van, the [Mr Buddy] propane heat was ok, but any longer, I'd have upgraded to an Espar. I hear a lot of praise for them and for Ray Lawrence [installer] too.
Also agree the aux battery should last longer than it is - and it isn't going to get better in the subzero temps, either, so I'd make that a priority.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Western New York is suposed to see single digit temps this week do what you need to do to stay warm get inside, idle, maby even spring for a cheap hotel.

Bob Wolf.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Western New York is suposed to see single digit temps this week do what you need to do to stay warm get inside, idle, maby even spring for a cheap hotel.

Bob Wolf.

batesMotel

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
If your running tv/dvd,frig,laptop,charging phone or phones and inside lights.That's all I think your going to get out of 1 aux battery.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
1. Espar heater. Nothing else compares for heating the van most efficiently at the lowest cost.

2. A new pair of the proper hotel batteries to replace the single tired sounding battery.

3. Roof a/c and Onan MicroLite 2800 or similar. That's going to be the big expense of the three but if he's in this for the long term and plans to keep that van long term also it will pay off in the long run.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I met a solo C&M driver in October when I stopped at the Chicago North T/A in Russell, IL. He was driving a 2010 Sprinter for a fleet owner paying him .30 a mile. The owner paid all expenses. The driver told me his only expense was food and laundry. He said he ran 2500 - 3000 paid miles almost every week. My only experience is driving T/T with several different companies. I found that freight always slowed down in January. I would suspect it is the same in expediting also. So now you have limited freight, inexperience and a crapshoot on location. Someone mentioned earlier that you might do better sitting somewhere isolated away from other trucks. I don't know how you can determine where is good, where is bad or where is isolated without someone directing you when you are new. Hot spots for C&M may or may not be the same as Panther or Load 1. I don't know what the pecking order is for dispatch but you are only there 3 weeks. You are unknown. It doesn't matter what you drive or who you drive for, dispatch givith and dispatch takith away. Stay positive. Remember that there are no dumb questions. I hope everything works out.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
A van costs abbout $1.50 a mile all in..
Wow, I guess that's why it's so hard to get by in a van.

First, figure out what you need to earn ALL IN per mile. Fuel, maintenance, insurance, tolls, salary, living expenses, taxes, your vehicle payment, even if its paid for you will have to replace it eventualy so add up EVERYTHING!

Second, anything with more than 50 back track 100 miles enroute deadhead is at best useless and expensive, unless its taking you home its better to stay parked. Now, lets say you d/h 100 miles and run 400 miles total 500 miles. you should be earning $750.00 to the van $275.00 to pay you or your co driver depending on who drives.

Ive said it many times on this site, when I get calls for work I could care less on how many miles the run is its about how much is in my pocket after I pay the bills. My answer to low ballers is thats my rate and i'm available. I would rather loose an opertunity to work than go broke moving somone elses freight.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf.
I'm sorry Bob, I hate to beat up on you, but apparently you don't read the original posts before you respond? Your advice here is once again far fetched and completely irrelevant to the original posters situation. They don't own the van, they don't run their own authority (neither does their fleet owner), they run for a fixed rate (and it darn sure ain't $1.50/mile). There are definitely some numbers they need to keep in mind to run a profitable operation for the fleet owner, but I'm guessing that he would be the person to ask for those numbers. The only numbers that really matter to these folks is whether or not they are making a living. They are obviousy not getting that done...at this time. I believe that will change for them though.

I understand that you have numbers that you run by...we all do. What you don't seem to understand is that probably 10% or less of the people on this board run a business similiar to yours. Your input can be valuable, but only when it takes into account the difference between your operation and the operation of whoever your addressing with your post.

Just my opinion.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
First, figure out what you need to earn ALL IN per mile. Fuel, maintenance, insurance, tolls, salary, living expenses, taxes, your vehicle payment, even if its paid for you will have to replace it eventualy so add up EVERYTHING! A van costs abbout $1.50 a mile all in.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf.

Bob...I have to go with Rocketman....are you saying a CV or sprinter should be getting $1.50 a mile?....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm okay with a CV getting $1.50 per mile.
Once that happens,the rest of the industry can get back to normal.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Last night around 11 Candy and I are sitting in the restaurant here at the TA in Monroe, MI. I'm on my laptop reading everyones posts here on EO when Candy decided to go back out to the van to lay down and watch some TV. After about 45 minutes to an hour I get a text from her saying, "It's still freezing in this van." I texted her back saying it's probably so cold the engine is struggling to warm up. I packed up my laptop, paid my tab at the restaurant and walked back out to the van. She's in the bunk and I hop in the driver's seat to see what's up. The battery light is on, the temp gauge is around 200 and the vents are blowing ice cold air. I shut the van off and text our fleet owner. Since his dedicated run with C&M brings him to this truck stop for refueling daily, he took a look at the problem around 7:30 this morning. The serpentine belt was off and just kinda laying there. The mechanic here at the TA said he'd take a look at it so I fired the van back up and drove it into the bay without any power steering which was quite the work out. I believe the part that needed to be replaced is called a tensioner. Our fleet owner asked the mechanic to fix it and took off in his T/T. The mechanic told us we were welcome to stay in the van while he fixed it. Since it was so cold last night, we had trouble sleeping and since the bay was heated, we decided to sleep in the van. At 12:58 my phone rings. I look at the caller ID and it says, "C&M Transport".

Dispatcher: Hey Dave, this is so & so at C&M. We have a load picking up about 75 miles from you and delivering somewhere in Missouri. Total paid miles for the run would be 710.

I told him we'd take it but the van is currently being repaired and I checked under the hood to find the mechanic and all I found was about a dozen van pieces scattered out on the floor of the bay. With dispatch still on the phone I scramble to find the mechanic. In a panic I ask him, "We got a load, how long til it's fixed?" He said, "The parts just got here. It's gonna take me at least an hour to put it back together." I asked dispatch how soon the load needs to be picked up. "ASAP" he says. Then the dispatcher says, "Let me see what I can do and I'll call you back." We never got a call back so the load was lost to us. Just another example of bad luck I guess. LOL!!

The van was fixed and ready to go around 2:30 this afternoon. Right now we're sitting at the TA in Monroe, Mi waiting for the call. :)

Been following this post a bit.......i'm thinking that folks that are this inept mechanically(can't tell if a belt is turning or not) and not proactive enough to seek timely help (at 2am steada being down in prime dispatch time) WILL have a long tuff row to hoe in this business. Not to mention communication......(letting dispatch know you were not available untill further notice)challenges.
This mention of "luck" stuff.......I always figgured "luck" is a result of when preparation and opportunity collide.

Having typed that i'll have to share that c&m is an excellent organization to be around. However, they are not for an amateurs, (they won't hold anyones hands).

May be something newbs want to consider.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been following this post a bit.......i'm thinking that folks that are this inept mechanically(can't tell if a belt is turning or not) and not proactive enough to seek timely help (at 2am steada being down in prime dispatch time) WILL have a long tuff row to hoe in this business. Not to mention communication......(letting dispatch know you were not available untill further notice)challenges.
This mention of "luck" stuff.......I always figgured "luck" is a result of when preparation and opportunity collide.

Having typed that i'll have to share that c&m is an excellent organization to be around. However, they are not for an amateurs, (they won't hold anyones hands).

May be something newbs want to consider.

We all have to learn out here. I am up at 1 in the morning many nights, works fine for me as most our dispatches come after 12 noon.

I think they have a good attitude and will do just fine.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
With everything that has been said. I can't imagine owning a vehicle of any kind, with no alternative heat source and telling someone not to idle....especially with temps as low as they are right now. If I were driving that van, there would be 2 options....get me something for heat or I'm gonna idle....it's that simple. I'm betting the fleet owner knows full well what it takes to heat a vehicle properly...and/or on the cheap. It's too cold out here in January and February to be playing those kinds of games. My opinion.

Last edited: