Our experience with C&M Transport so far...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At some carriers a team is not any different than a solo. Panther and a couple others are built for teams so hard to compare.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We (My wife Candy and I) drive for a fleet owner who we're very pleased with. Great guy and very experienced in the expedited freight industry.

I have read your previous posts under the name BadLuckChuck and now Dedic8edDave and must ask this question: Does you fleet owner have any experience with C&M and Sprinters? I don't know much about C&M or their customer base, in fact I didn't even know they ran cargo vans until you posted. I don't believe I'd ever seen a C&M cargo van until early this morning when I saw a C&M Sprinter at the Flying J in South Beloit. Was that you? If not, don't take a relocate to North central Illinois. They got that area covered.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
At some carriers a team is not any different than a solo. Panther and a couple others are built for teams so hard to compare.

That's why I suggested to change carrier. If they a team they have to drive for a carrier who has team loads. You know ,I know as a team they have to do much better. Now depend how much money they have in savings....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I'm starting this thread to share with everyone our experience at C&M Transport in Painesville, OH as Sprinter drivers. We (My wife Candy and I) drive for a fleet owner who we're very pleased with. Great guy and very experienced in the expedited freight industry. I plan to update daily. All comments and advice are welcome and appreciated. My original name here on EO was BadLuckChuck but felt that was spreading negative vibes so I created a new account because I couldn't figure out how to change it. Also, since my real name is Dave, figured this one might be more fitting.

We attended orientation at C&M on Wednesday, 01/02/2013. Mark the safety manager was very informative and kept it brief. It lasted for maybe an hour or 2. Just prior to orientation, we went to a local clinic and gave urine samples. After orientation we went back to our motel and Thursday (01/03) went in service.

01/03 (Thursday) - Dispatched to Willoughby, OH to pick up load going to Warrenton, MO. Total paid miles (625)

01/04 (Friday) - Delivered load at consignee early morning in Warrenton, MO and went to a nearby Walmart to wait for next load.

01/05 (Saturday) - Dispatched to Salem, IL (135 unpaid DH miles) to pick up a load going to St. Charles, IL. Total paid miles (255). The load didn't deliver until Monday morning (01/07) so we stopped at a truck stop along the way to take showers, etc.

01/06 (Sunday) - Waiting at Walmart in Aurora, IL to deliver in St. Charles, IL Monday morning.

Total paid miles for week ending 01/06 (625). Total paid to each driver in team ($112.50)

01/07 (Monday) - Delivered load early in the morning and fleet owner advised we go to Racine, WI to wait for next load.

01/08 (Tuesday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load.

01/09 (Wednesday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load.

01/10 (Thursday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load.

01/11 (Friday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load. After 6pm dispatch advises we move to Joliet, IL so we did.

01/12 (Saturday) - Waiting in Joliet, IL for next load. After 7pm fleet owner advises we DH back to Painesville, OH and wait at C&M for next load. They have a nice driver's lounge and free shower there.

Total paid miles for week ending 01/12 (255). Total paid to each driver in team ($45.90)

01/13 (Sunday) - Waiting at C&M Transport in Painesville, OH for next load.

01/14 (Monday) - Waiting at C&M Transport in Painesville, OH for next load.

01/15 (Tuesday) - Evening - Dispatched to pick up load in Mentor, OH delivering in Springfield, OH. (total paid miles 205).

01/16 (Wednesday) - After delivering at consignee in Springfield, OH, fleet owner advised we should move to Monroe, MI to wait for next load.

01/17 (Thursday) - Waiting in Monroe, MI for next load

01/18 (Friday) - Waiting in Monroe, MI for next load

Since we probably won't get dispatched this weekend, I'll assume the total paid miles for week ending 01/19 are 205. Total paid to each driver in team ($36.90)

It is time to take a look on Classifieds. Before you spend all your savings or before you get in debt...If in three weeks they did not find you a good load I dont think they will keep you busy enough for a team. Look for a company where you have an advantage as a team.

Reactions: jcochristoph

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
Thanks everyone for your posts.

Our fleet owner has been with C&M for over 7 years. He owns/operates a T/T leased on with C&M. I'm not sure if he's ever driven vans.

That load that required a long DH with relatively few paid miles was accepted by me, not our fleet owner. Several minutes after our FO caught wind of the load assignment, he called me and said that it wasn't a good load to accept considering the number of DH miles and having to sit on the load over the weekend. He said it was a load that nobody else would accept and that C&M would consider it a favor done for them.

I don't know how many vans/sprinters C&M has but our FO has a couple vans and one other Sprinter husband/wife team that seems to do quite well. They've been driving their sprinter for our FO and C&M for almost 2 years.

I do appreciate everyone's comments and advice. Like I said, I'll keep everyone updated on our progress. At the moment, we've been sitting in Monroe, MI at the TA since Wednesday. There's a cargo van ahead of us in Detroit that's been there since Tuesday.

I'm going to ask our FO for the phone # of the other Sprinter H/W team and pick their brain as suggested.

Any other advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated and I hope everyone has a safe night.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We (My wife Candy and I) drive for a fleet owner who we're very pleased with. My original name here on EO was BadLuckChuck... Also, since my real name is Dave, figured this one might be more fitting.
What's Candy's real name?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
At least he takes the criticism and advice from you guys as a way to learn. There are to many that open their life up to the general public then get upset when someone points out that they might be making a mistake.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
At least he takes the criticism and advice from you guys as a way to learn. There are to many that open their life up to the general public then get upset when someone points out that they might be making a mistake.

Thanks Paullud. Yeah, we're just trying to learn from all you good folks with experience in the field. It is a little perplexing how I read posts from OntarioVanMan in the thread regarding "January locations" and he's posting 2500-3000 mile weeks. And not just him but several others as well. I've read that the key to being successful in expediting is location, location, location and I would think that we've been sitting in good freight areas. I guess another major component to being successful is luck. Of course experience and knowledge are of utmost importance.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Finding other van operators to network with is a good idea. Nothing against your owner but he could be the best T/T guy around and not be too great with vans. They're just totally different. Fedex gives us a monthly recap of the 25 best express centers for each of the 3 types, van, straights and T/T. Some are pretty much always on their and always near the top. Others move up and down the list and some move on and off the list. You might want to ask C&M if they can give you that information for vans. I'm sure they have it or at least would expect them to. Both you and your owner should have the most up to date list and be using it together to decide on relocations. Good luck.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
C&M is one of the best carriers in the business. You'll likely do well with them if you can tough it out through the slow months.

There are probably 5 carriers, or less, that I would consider leasing to in the expedite industry. C&M would be on that list of 5...actually pretty close to the top.

guido4475

Not a Member
One thing many may not be aware of, is that there is a particular dispatcher at C&M that also is a fleet owner of around 20 vans. They have DSC on them as well as the C&M logos. Something to consider. Just sayin.

Reactions: jcochristoph

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
While I've never been with C&M, I've run loads for them, crossdocked at their place, [popped in to tell dispatch that Highway Star was 'livin the dream' in Laredo - no need to rush him out of there, lol] and always had a very positive impression of them, too.
It's a rough start, Dave, but I wouldn't even consider changing carriers at this point. As Turtle says, location is the thing, but the thing about that is that no one knows which location is hot today, sigh.
Best of luck guys.
:D

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Thanks Paullud. Yeah, we're just trying to learn from all you good folks with experience in the field. It is a little perplexing how I read posts from OntarioVanMan in the thread regarding "January locations" and he's posting 2500-3000 mile weeks. And not just him but several others as well. I've read that the key to being successful in expediting is location, location, location and I would think that we've been sitting in good freight areas. I guess another major component to being successful is luck. Of course experience and knowledge are of utmost importance.

Experience and knowledge breeds luck also...knowing where to locate yourself for best chances at loads goes a long way....a little tip for newbies..circle on your atlas every town you deliver and pick up from...make that circle look like a P for a pick up..or a d. For a delivery..you will start to forget every where you go...then when you unload you open your atlas and start seeing patterns of good areas.. Position your self in the middle..
This helped me when i started....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Circling locations on the atlas is a good idea - provided the atlas is on the computer, [ie: Streets & Trips, which has pushpins for that very purpose]. Doing it on an actual atlas would obscure the very info it's meant to provide: you know, like route numbers and "which road is that?" kind of thing - just sayin.
Have GPS units made atlases seem obsolete? Big mistake, IMO.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
you two will be fine. you will figure it out. these times are tough and especially when you are new and its january. dont move from c&m. that advice is not sound advice. dont care what someone else at another carrier is doing. could be like my carrier, they pay a little better and wont run cheap so sometimes thing slow up because of all the others that will. we know it can be rough but atleast you are not paying for fuel. you should be able to make it through provided you have planned for things like this. if three weeks with minimal pay is going to break you as some have pointed out then you will have to find a way to get by. thats expediting. i cant imagine that will be the case. hang in there. you two seem to be willing and that is a huge plus.

and, our 2 van owner with panther, would 3 weeks with minimal pay break you. if so, i dont know what to say. if your a fleet owner you should be able to go longer than that. just seems you are stuck on goin broke and i cant see it.