Our experience with C&M Transport so far...

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
I'm starting this thread to share with everyone our experience at C&M Transport in Painesville, OH as Sprinter drivers. We (My wife Candy and I) drive for a fleet owner who we're very pleased with. Great guy and very experienced in the expedited freight industry. I plan to update daily. All comments and advice are welcome and appreciated. My original name here on EO was BadLuckChuck but felt that was spreading negative vibes so I created a new account because I couldn't figure out how to change it. Also, since my real name is Dave, figured this one might be more fitting.

We attended orientation at C&M on Wednesday, 01/02/2013. Mark the safety manager was very informative and kept it brief. It lasted for maybe an hour or 2. Just prior to orientation, we went to a local clinic and gave urine samples. After orientation we went back to our motel and Thursday (01/03) went in service.

01/03 (Thursday) - Dispatched to Willoughby, OH to pick up load going to Warrenton, MO. Total paid miles (625)

01/04 (Friday) - Delivered load at consignee early morning in Warrenton, MO and went to a nearby Walmart to wait for next load.

01/05 (Saturday) - Dispatched to Salem, IL (135 unpaid DH miles) to pick up a load going to St. Charles, IL. Total paid miles (255). The load didn't deliver until Monday morning (01/07) so we stopped at a truck stop along the way to take showers, etc.

01/06 (Sunday) - Waiting at Walmart in Aurora, IL to deliver in St. Charles, IL Monday morning.

Total paid miles for week ending 01/06 (625). Total paid to each driver in team ($112.50)

01/07 (Monday) - Delivered load early in the morning and fleet owner advised we go to Racine, WI to wait for next load.

01/08 (Tuesday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load.

01/09 (Wednesday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load.

01/10 (Thursday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load.

01/11 (Friday) - Waiting in Racine, WI for next load. After 6pm dispatch advises we move to Joliet, IL so we did.

01/12 (Saturday) - Waiting in Joliet, IL for next load. After 7pm fleet owner advises we DH back to Painesville, OH and wait at C&M for next load. They have a nice driver's lounge and free shower there.

Total paid miles for week ending 01/12 (255). Total paid to each driver in team ($45.90)

01/13 (Sunday) - Waiting at C&M Transport in Painesville, OH for next load.

01/14 (Monday) - Waiting at C&M Transport in Painesville, OH for next load.

01/15 (Tuesday) - Evening - Dispatched to pick up load in Mentor, OH delivering in Springfield, OH. (total paid miles 205).

01/16 (Wednesday) - After delivering at consignee in Springfield, OH, fleet owner advised we should move to Monroe, MI to wait for next load.

01/17 (Thursday) - Waiting in Monroe, MI for next load

01/18 (Friday) - Waiting in Monroe, MI for next load

Since we probably won't get dispatched this weekend, I'll assume the total paid miles for week ending 01/19 are 205. Total paid to each driver in team ($36.90)

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Seems like the fleet owner isn't very experienced afterall. Having you DH all the way from Wisconsin to Painesville?

Allow me to let you in on a secret... go where the other trucks aren't. I've sat in backwoods towns, and got loaded out of them. Wait a day or two, then move 50 to 100 miles. In Wisconsin, I would've moved towards Green Bay/Appleton. C&M gets tons of freight up that way.

Here's another one... turn down 135 miles DH for 255 loaded; or try to get it all paid.

Once you learn how to play the game, you should bring in decent money. But you can't waste your time DHing 500 miles out of traditionally good freight zones.

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
Thanks Tennesseahawk. The owner pays for the fuel and since we'd been sitting in Chicagoland for an entire week without a load offer, he thought we'd enjoy a change of scenery. lol

Where can I go to find out where other cargo vans are and aren't?

You mentioned C&M gets a ton of freight out of Green Bay. While we were sitting in Racine, WI we were told they had no vans in the Green Bay area and received a call from dispatch asking if we were interested in picking up a load in GB and taking it to Missouri. We said yes. They said they'd call back if they win the bid. Never heard back.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
dont get discouraged, its that time of year. c&m is a good carrier. i would listen to thawk, been around a while. i would also see about getting the owner to quit dh'ing you all over the place.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has the owner ever been in the business or just owns the truck? A lot of truck owners have never done the job or even if they did they never ran for the carrier they're signed on with. That can cause problems with repositioning.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have to agree. Looking at that deadhead and where you are deadheading to, those are major concerns. I see both running in the red.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's another one... turn down 135 miles DH for 255 loaded; or try to get it all paid.
Particularly if you have to sit on in unpaid over the weekend. That's a lot of time to have yourself removed from any load considerations for such a small sum of money.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am in A 24' 3 axle straight w/ liftgate and I have been running constant since I joyned C & M. I just dropped off BEONCE's sound gear in New Orleans and got A free breakfast in catering room and was invited to stay for lunch. I also have my next pick up already booked just got to get the info off my email

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I dont know C&M ,but the miles is way under usually a team do. And yes ,to many deadhead miles. You should change company....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way to soon to change companies. Just start talking to other c&m van drivers and pick their brains about freight lanes for your company. Make sure it is vans where a company has big truck freight and van freight can be two different things.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Way to soon to change companies. Just start talking to other c&m van drivers and pick their brains about freight lanes for your company. Make sure it is vans where a company has big truck freight and van freight can be two different things.

I hate to change companies to ,but not one decent load in three weeks...c'mon. And dont forget they team. What option do they have?In this way they will starve .You can have a bad week but three?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hate to change companies to ,but not one decent load in three weeks...c'mon. And dont forget they team. What option do they have?In this way they will starve .You can have a bad week but three?
It happens. For example, in the last three weeks I've had exactly one decent load. Three weeks ago I had zero loads. Last week I had one for 184 miles. This week I've had 3 loads, one for 180 miles, one Dry Run that would have been for 88 miles, another dry run that would have been for 25 miles, a re-book for the 88 mile load, and one for 306 miles (but paid like a 500 miler). Should I dump my carrier for greener pastures?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
its january, anybody can have this happen. its not the carrier its just the the way it is sometimes. if you jump carriers every time you run into a bad spell, as in 3 loads in 3 weeks, as you say, you will run outta places to rest your head.

what option do they have ? be patient, talk to others to get a better grasp on things and get the ive only had 3 loads in 3 weeks outta their heads and keep pluggin away.

you never leave a carrier till you learn a little and give them a good reasonable chance.
unless they dont pay you or never give you freight.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
It happens. For example, in the last three weeks I've had exactly one decent load. Three weeks ago I had zero loads. Last week I had one for 184 miles. This week I've had 3 loads, one for 180 miles, one Dry Run that would have been for 88 miles, another dry run that would have been for 25 miles, a re-book for the 88 mile load, and one for 306 miles (but paid like a 500 miler). Should I dump my carrier for greener pastures?

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Dont forget we talking about a team in a sprinter in good location....I have two teams with Panter ,never something like that.You have to act before is to late...