Our experience with C&M Transport so far...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If I was a Fleet Owner I would never put a propane heater in the van. Can you say lawsuit. Also there are plenty of 'Holders of the wheel" that I wouldn't want putting a wrench to my van.

Or.......if someone can't turn the wrench, is that someone who should have a propane heater in a enclosed van?
A thought to ponder. :eek:Boom!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Around midnight the owner tells team to sit tight till 07:30 in a van without heat at a T/A .
The fleet owner should have told them to get the shop to look at it and call him. Most likely it would have been torn apart and parts ordered by 8am.
The owner,being familiar with the company should have notified dispatch.
Unit may have been ready to cover the load they missed.
The OP is a rookie. Seems like the owner may need some schooling too.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Around midnight the owner tells team to sit tight till 07:30 in a van without heat at a T/A.
Yeah, and to sleep during the day when it's a little warmer and stay awake and hang out in the truck stop all night.

I'd slap him upside the head with a wet mackerel.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

fish%20slap.gif

Reactions: mikeb1052

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, and to sleep during the day when it's a little warmer and stay awake and hang out in the truck stop all night.

Why waste a good mackerel? :confused: Kings are FUN to catch and not all that bad on the table. :p

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If I was a Fleet Owner ... Also there are plenty of 'Holders of the wheel" that I wouldn't want putting a wrench to my van.
Yup, true enough ... but as a Fleet Owner there isn't any rule that says you have to hire a one of them.

But if you're comfortable with 'em then I guess have at it ...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yup, true enough ... but as a Fleet Owner there isn't any rule that says you have to hire a one of them.

But if you're comfortable with 'em then I guess have at it ...

You know, I am not so sure I am 100% opposed to "wheel holders". IF they were GOOD wheel holders, worked hard, produced a profit, and left the rest to me, I think I could live with that. In fact, I know I could.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You know, I am not so sure I am 100% opposed to "wheel holders". IF they were GOOD wheel holders, worked hard, produced a profit, and left the rest to me, I think I could live with that. In fact, I know I could.
I'm not at all opposed to "wheel holders" ... but given the choice between having someone who brought additional skills to the table versus ones that didn't, I might, as a business owner, be inclined to lean towards the former ... rather than the latter ... ;)

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Around midnight the owner tells team to sit tight till 07:30 in a van without heat at a T/A .
The fleet owner should have told them to get the shop to look at it and call him. Most likely it would have been torn apart and parts ordered by 8am.
The owner,being familiar with the company should have notified dispatch.
Unit may have been ready to cover the load they missed.
The OP is a rookie. Seems like the owner may need some schooling too.

When you put yourself oos you loose your position on the board . The fleet owner may wanted to avoid that. Sometime when you have a small problem you assume this risk....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not at all opposed to "wheel holders" ... but given the choice between having someone who brought additional skills to the table versus ones that didn't, I might, as a business owner, be inclined to lean towards the former ... rather than the latter ... ;)

I agree, BUT, I KNOW, from experience, that a good worker, a hard worker, should NEVER be turned away.

I used to work in the "high tech" industry. I was NOT a nerd. I did have a very good work ethic, and was willing to learn. As I progressed I never was a nerd. I did, have, a TON of "feel" for certain things. It served me well.

I would ALWAYS be MORE than willing to give a shot to someone who wanted that shot and was willing to give me all they had. They may never be a "star" but I KNOW I could depend on them.

That is a win win for all.

Never look down on a hard worker.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When you put yourself oos you loose your position on the board . The fleet owner may wanted to avoid that. Sometime when you have a small problem you assume this risk....

If the FO deliberately did that [and it's a major assumption without any evidence whatsoever] then he deserves to lose more than his board position, IMO.
The deal in expediting is that when in service, one is ready to go now, and as others pointed out, the risk isn't just the Fo or driver's - it's dispatch & the carrier's, too, if they book loads that suddenly can't get covered.
If one expects honesty from carriers, it must work both ways.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I sat and watched a driver go in and put of a shop for days while staying in service ahead of me.
It sucked.
I don't drop dimes.
And, I'm friends with her fleet owner.
And, we're blood relatives.

It still sucked.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The deal in expediting is that when in service, one is ready to go now, and as others pointed out, the risk isn't just the Fo or driver's - it's dispatch & the carrier's, too, if they book loads that suddenly can't get covered.
Of course, the problem with the above is that, generally speaking, most expedite carriers that I'm aware of operate under "no forced dispatch" ...

Dedic8edDave

Active Expediter
That trip to California sounds great!! The truth is, our fleet owner put us up in a motel for the next 2 nights. We also went out of service. The AC/heater fan quit working. If it gets fixed tomorrow, great, but if not we'll be here for another night.

The reason we didn't go out of service when the belt tensioner broke was because the TA mechanic said he'd have it fixed in an hour or 2. We went to sleep and woke up 4 hours later when C&M called about the load offer. It ended up taking him about 8 hours to fix it. He had to take the AC compressor out and said if his hands weren't small, he would've had to take the radiator out too.

We did have a spare serpentine belt and a couple of pulleys in the van. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no mechanic. I can change oil and tires but that's about it.

I talked to our FO about heat and AC but only briefly. We'll discuss it more tomorrow as well as talk about the auxiliary battery. I hate asking him to spend money considering we've only driven about 1000 miles since we started on 01/03. The other H/W team that drives the other Sprinter our FO owns has driven over 6000 miles so far this month. Crazy, huh?

Well, we're looking forward to getting back on the road but we're nice & cozy in the meantime. Hope all is well for everyone and y'all are keeping warm!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course, the problem with the above is that, generally speaking, most expedite carriers that I'm aware of operate under "no forced dispatch" ...

And 'force' is in the eye of the beholder: is it forced dispatch if you can expect to drop to the last place in the lineup after turning down a load? How about being put OOS for a turndown?
It's great when they can offer the load before bidding, but too many times there's no choice: they've signed a contract that obligates them to cover a shipper's loads. I don't necessarily like it, but it's how it works.

It's a moot point, though, because the principle remains the same: if you aren't ready to go, remaining in service is dishonest.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dave: first thing about shop mechanics: they almost always misunderestimate the time it will take to complete a repair.
Glad you got it worked out.
;)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The guy has spare parts in the van.
He's picking up the motel for two nights.
Sounds like ok guy.
I like Dave's upbeat attitude.
I agree with LOS, you don't have to be a mechanic. It helps.
A good attitude,and willingness to learn is probably more important in this case.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a moot point, though, because the principle remains the same: if you aren't ready to go, remaining in service is dishonest.
Exactly. Common courtesy, treating others the way you want to be treated.