My Hino Nightmare

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, I got to give you credit for putting up with this and staying cool, my professionalism would be all used up at this point and I would be coming unglued to Penske and demanding another truck or to break the lease.

My Dad once used to say, the more your truck gets worked on...the worse it will get. I'm beginning to think yours is getting that way.

Hope this gets sorted out for you and you can truck with confidence again!

I like my truck when it runs, I'm getting to the point where I am afraid to take it out. Monday, I will be talking to my leasing rep about a break in my lease payment for December. I am also gonna reread my contract and see if there is anything I can use.
In my lease I know I am supposed to get a "suitable" replacement truck, well twice they have not had one for me. The first time I got a cube van and it worked out for me, this time I have to wait til Monday, since truck sent to me on Friday didn't have the liftgate I needed.
If a new lease truck is in my future it will be an International or a Freightliner NO HiNO, not after all these problems.

guido4475

Not a Member
Why not look into a Paclease? (Kenworth or Peterbuilt lease truck)At least you know it will be of better quality,even though it may be a little bit more expensive. But look at The $$ you have lost so far. Just trying to help.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Why not look into a Paclease? (Kenworth or Peterbuilt lease truck)At least you know it will be of better quality,even though it may be a little bit more expensive. But look at The $$ you have lost so far. Just trying to help.

I'm with Penske, for a a couple more years, it was a three year lease. I will be shopping around, Freightliner, International, Kenworth, Peterbilt. I will be looking at price, definately want to be covered for maintenance like I am now. Also, I believe i could probably order a Kenworth or Peterbilt through Penske.

I don't blame Penske for the problems with my truck. Actually they send it over to the Hino delaer everytime, they don't even do the work on it. lack of suitable replacement truck is a problem, something I will be talking to them about on Monday.

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
I never thought of the injector seals ..... what would explain alot .. did it run ruff when you were driving it to the pick up ?
the kw can have a isc cummins or a pacar I've driven the pacar pulls nicely with a 6 spd ..... the cummins I drove had a auto (paclease rental) when my kw t300 broke down in san antone) that thing would run out nicely .. got good fuel econ.
... i hope you can either get out of the contract or get another truck through them due to the break downs. I would be afraid to take it out at this point too ... sounds like its been a real pain in the ***.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I never thought of the injector seals ..... what would explain alot .. did it run ruff when you were driving it to the pick up ?
the kw can have a isc cummins or a pacar I've driven the pacar pulls nicely with a 6 spd ..... the cummins I drove had a auto (paclease rental) when my kw t300 broke down in san antone) that thing would run out nicely .. got good fuel econ.
... i hope you can either get out of the contract or get another truck through them due to the break downs. I would be afraid to take it out at this point too ... sounds like its been a real pain in the ***.

It ran great, felt nice an powerful, other than a little white smoke it was running good, could be the injector seals, can't see it being a problem with the rings since it never smoked up until the low power/rough running problem.
Since you really don't see to many class 6 Kenworths, or Peterbilts I never really considered them. International and Freightliner are the more common ones. I wonder how much more expensive a Kenworth would be? Do they get better then 8 mpg? My Hino got 9 to 10 with the auto. I know the Internationals and Freightliners get around 8 with autos

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
As previously stated you have a lot more patience than I do. Have you may considered having an attorney check out the lease agreement and see if you can swap this unit for a similiar unit, You obviously have a record of lost time and money, Get CEVA to write you a letter saying you cannot be dispatched on long or hot loads due to the unreliabliity of your truck. I used to be leased on to EGL/CEVA and found them to be helpful when I needed some help in prodding someone.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Talked to leasing rep, and if truck is not fixed soon they may get me out of it. He told me they have spent over 6 grand in the last month on this truck. Also found out it is not under warranty. I may be in a new truck in January. Not a Hino!!!!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
what happened to the 200k warranty?

"if truck is not fixed soon they may get me out of it."

what is his/their definition of "fixed". been fixed 6 grand worth already. do they need to spend another 6 grand?

believe me when i say i feel for ya.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We used to haul a lot (at least one load a week) for toyota from IN to CA. I remember back then, hoping folks would continue buying those anchors.

They did!!

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The in formation on the Regeneration system I got from a Mechanic from Sioux Land Mack & Volvo. When I told him I wanted to buy a Truck he told Me Don't Do it. with that said what he told me about the Regeneration systems and the new Environmental Compliant systems that being installed on all the Commercial Vehicles alike. So far Mr. John Ray Dowdy has been right!!! Toyota Hino , Nissan UD Volvo-Mack, Freight liner, Pete-KW The New Engines and all the Emissions crap.

Forget it if your an Owner and are Purchasing one of these unites with the Regeneration Junk that installed on these.
Don't be the guinea Pig cause that is exactly what your being.

Your a guinea pig as an OOP to even Buy a New Truck with the Regeneration Equipment on it. Till all the bugs are out of it don't do it.
Your in the business to make money well you sure as heck cant with the Stinking thing in the shop can ya.
Oh you say I got warranty, well bud warranty don't make the truck payments or keep drivers does it. NO Sir.

Until this Regeneration Equipment gets all the bugs out of it
don't buy the crap. Your well on your way to going Bankrupt.

I got a good Friend that drives a Nissan for a Gentleman outta Terrie Hate IN. For the Last 6 days he has been broke down up in MN. Do to the Regeneration Equipment. Buy the way this isn't the first time this thing has broke down because of the Regeneration Junk that installed on it. Been Numerous Times.

Again this doesn't just go for the Nissan but all Engines with this Regeneration Crap.
So You guys Newer isn't always better. If you think so You will end up Trucks in the shop under warranty and not being able to make your Truck payments and loosing your drivers.

Note if a Driver is paying the fuel in the truck then the owner shouldn't be choosing the runs.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
My truck is pre DPR
I guess I am wrong about the 200K warranty
Penske told me it is not under warranty, and they have spent nearly 6 grand so far. I called yesterday to find out the progress on my truck(not that I really want it back, the rental is fine)
I guess #2 cylinder was scored and they have to replace the liner, probably the rings and piston as well. This sounds very expensive to me and am wondering if it requires them taking the engine out of the truck. So, after they are finished they may get me out of this truck and sell it before it costs them more money or I may have a good running truck till the end of the lease.
BTW does anyone know how a cylinder would get scored?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dropped injector tip would certainly score a liner up...and make a mess of a few other things too.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dropped injector tip would certainly score a liner up...and make a mess of a few other things too.

Hmmm, that is a possibility since they just replaced all the injectors, or they left it open and crap got in there:eek:
Like I said I'm in a International 4300 and it is just fine, so really no hurry to get back into my truck. It's white and not yellow, which usually means I will be in it for a while, since the white trucks are usually lease trucks and not used as much in their rental fleet.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW does anyone know how a cylinder would get scored?
Olympic Cylinder Scoring is based on a point system 1-10 with 1 being the lowest score and 10 the highest score. A panel of 12 judges from various countries do the scoring for each event. Both the highest and lowest scores are thrown out. The remaining 10 scores are added together and divided by 10, resulting in the final score.

The 2006 Winter Cylinder Olympics 8 Litre competition ended with a controversial win by Team Hino. 10 of the 12 judges awarded scores to Team Hino ranging from 6.4 to 7.9. The Japanese judge gave Team Hino an unprecedented 10 and the Korean judge awarded a 9.9 giving Team Hino a gold medal and dropping Team Mercedes-Benz to a silver medal.

Hope this cleared things up for you Dakota. With all you have gone through with this truck I am nominating you for sainthood. You will be competing with Pope John Paul II who is on the fast-track to canonization, and the fact that you are not dead yet means you have some tough competition. Also if Penske should perform a miracle and fix your truck forever, well you and Pope John Paul II will be lucky to get an honorable mention at St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast. Miracles trump all in the canonization process.

"St. Alphonzo's pancakes are so light and fluffy brown. They are the finest in town".

Good luck!

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Picked up my truck at Penske today and made it all 22 miles to my house, and it ran fine. AMAZING:rolleyes:
Let's hope for at least 150K trouble free miles:)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Olympic Cylinder Scoring is based on a point system 1-10 with 1 being the lowest score and 10 the highest score. A panel of 12 judges from various countries do the scoring for each event. Both the highest and lowest scores are thrown out. The remaining 10 scores are added together and divided by 10, resulting in the final score.

The 2006 Winter Cylinder Olympics 8 Litre competition ended with a controversial win by Team Hino. 10 of the 12 judges awarded scores to Team Hino ranging from 6.4 to 7.9. The Japanese judge gave Team Hino an unprecedented 10 and the Korean judge awarded a 9.9 giving Team Hino a gold medal and dropping Team Mercedes-Benz to a silver medal.

Hope this cleared things up for you Dakota. With all you have gone through with this truck I am nominating you for sainthood. You will be competing with Pope John Paul II who is on the fast-track to canonization, and the fact that you are not dead yet means you have some tough competition. Also if Penske should perform a miracle and fix your truck forever, well you and Pope John Paul II will be lucky to get an honorable mention at St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast. Miracles trump all in the canonization process.

"St. Alphonzo's pancakes are so light and fluffy brown. They are the finest in town".

Good luck!

Ha Ha Ha thanks for filling me in on the scoring method;):p

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Picked up my truck at Penske today and made it all 22 miles to my house, and it ran fine. AMAZING:rolleyes:
Let's hope for at least 150K trouble free miles:)

where have i read this before? o yeah....post 32.

good luck buddy.

Last edited: